PDA

View Full Version : Help making traps

wizuriel
2010-02-27, 08:20 PM
So just curious what people use for trap design? My last session my players were sent to discredit this towns local wizard. Anyways the wizard setup an alarm/dancing light trap on his windows in case of a thief. According to the DMG such a trap has a search and disable DC of 25? How would a level 4 party get around that?

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-02-27, 09:19 PM
So just curious what people use for trap design? My last session my players were sent to discredit this towns local wizard. Anyways the wizard setup an alarm/dancing light trap on his windows in case of a thief. According to the DMG such a trap has a search and disable DC of 25? How would a level 4 party get around that?

Well, let's see. At level 4, you can have 7 ranks in Disable Device. With a Dex mod of around +5, that's a +13. WIth a masterwork toolkit, for another +2, that's a total mod of +15. So even odds of it working.

Or, wait until next level, and Dispel Magic it.

faceroll
2010-02-27, 09:21 PM
Well, let's see. At level 4, you can have 7 ranks in Disable Device. With a Dex mod of around +5, that's a +13. WIth a masterwork toolkit, for another +2, that's a total mod of +15. So even odds of it working.

Or, wait until next level, and Dispel Magic it.

If you've got the time (2 minutes) and a good idea of what's going to have a trap on it (door, window, chest), you can always take 20.

jpreem
2010-02-28, 08:14 AM
You cannot take 20 for disable device checks to disarm traps.

"If you fail by 5 or more, something goes wrong. If the device is a trap, you spring it"

You can take 20 only if the skill check does not carry such chances for critical failures. ( "take 20" essentialy means you make multiple attempts over a period of time some of them failing and at last one of them succeeding).

You can take 10 though.

Your Nemesis
2010-02-28, 08:42 AM
No, you can't, since taking 10 only works if there is no pressure and no penalty for failing.

Jodo Krast
2010-02-28, 03:45 PM
You cannot take 20 for disable device checks to disarm traps.

"If you fail by 5 or more, something goes wrong. If the device is a trap, you spring it"

You can take 20 only if the skill check does not carry such chances for critical failures. ( "take 20" essentialy means you make multiple attempts over a period of time some of them failing and at last one of them succeeding).

You can take 10 though.
He means on the search check.

jpreem
2010-03-04, 12:11 PM
Aye i can see it now, the "disable device" get me a wrong lead. I think you should be able to take 20 on SEARCH checks if you have time and are not in any immidiate danger.

Anxe
2010-03-04, 02:59 PM
Cast Darkness and silence before opening the window?