PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to rant a little, and the bored among you can listen

Dirk Anger
2010-02-28, 01:22 AM
I had a little high school trauma tonight, and it's put me off enough that I thought sharing it somehow could help. So here I am.

I was with my friends for a meal and a good time, and we went to a combination of fast food places and a chinese restaurant. Then we went to a 7/11 for energy drinks before heading to the house we were all going to be at for the night.

I went in, got a red bull, and struck up a conversation with some folks outside, probably a few years older. My friends got in the car, and were impatient to go.

I told them to go ahead, as I could easily walk the short distance back to the house in a few. Anyway, they wanted me to buy them tobacco (a legit rendition of the no I.D. excuse - they talked of bars and jobs and which high school used to be best). I'm really very introverted, and so meeting new people always gave me a great feeling and sense of pride. Pathetic, but oh well

They left, and I continued to enjoy the company of strangers. Then I walked to the place, and knocked on the door.

I was mockingly asked to identify myself, but I wasn't let in. I called someone's cell and my backpack I had left there was put through, so that "I could take my bike and leave".

I decided to read the last 60 odd pages of Cat's Cradle for school (a good read, by the way) to see if my friends were going to relent. They didn't, and I went home.

These were my five very best friends, who I've known for years. Ever since high school, if not since the fourth grade, we've known each other.

Why they would do this is a mystery, and I'm trying to take it in stride, but this is definitely hurtful of them so I don't feel guilty about being indignant.

Has this been building? They hate that I smoke (It's a nasty habit, and I can't blame them). They sometimes seem annoyed with me, and I never really knew why.

I've rebooted my social life before under duress, and if necessary will do it now. Begging for sympathy on the internet will hopefully help the process.

Sorry to dump this on a community I'm no member of, but y'all have a rep and.... I lurk here all the time. So do what you will with the thread, I'll come check up on it when I'm less angry at adolescent life. Thanks.

THAC0
2010-02-28, 01:26 AM
Honestly, you're not going to find any revelations here. The only way you're going to figure out what's going on is to talk to these "friends." I have to say this whole thing sounds strange to me, but beyond that, I can't offer you any advice other than to talk to them and see what they say.

Potential questions - did you buy tobacco for these people? And they didn't have ID, you just assumed, based on their conversation, that they were old enough?

I would recommend not rebooting your social life until you've at least tried to talk to these people and figure out what's going on.

Solaris
2010-02-28, 01:45 AM
I'm guessing that they're butt-hurt over being ditched.

Rutskarn
2010-02-28, 02:13 AM
Honestly, you're not going to find any revelations here. The only way you're going to figure out what's going on is to talk to these "friends."

Precisely. I get that you're venting, mate, but your absolute accept-no-substitutes best bet in this situation is to get your arse in gear, get over to them, and start asking frank questions with the expectation of honest answers. To be honest, this might be anything from an cruel impulse to a situation that's been brewing without your knowledge for a while now. Either way, you need a straight answer before you can proceed.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-02-28, 02:26 AM
Butt-hurt or not, that is not cool. So they were a little upset, I would've thought that friends were above something so spiteful, especially with that sort of history.

Talking needs to go down here. Serious talking, with more then just a modicum of caution.

Seriously though, that's messed up. Doubly so if it's over something as petty as you smoking or hanging out briefly with other people.

Solaris
2010-02-28, 02:33 AM
Precisely. I get that you're venting, mate, but your absolute accept-no-substitutes best bet in this situation is to get your arse in gear, get over to them, and start asking frank questions with the expectation of honest answers. To be honest, this might be anything from an cruel impulse to a situation that's been brewing without your knowledge for a while now. Either way, you need a straight answer before you can proceed.

Alternatively, begin plotting torturous vengeance. Either way, we all have fun!

Dirk Anger
2010-02-28, 02:35 AM
Yeah, I'll be asking some hard questions come first period Monday morning.

Until then though, I guess I just shouldn't over think things. Hopefully this'll all sort itself out.

Thanks for all the replies.

@below: I am damn tempted to do just that. Short of groveling on Monday or a magical explanation/excuse, I'll be eating my lunch all by myself.

Pyrian
2010-02-28, 03:15 AM
Hmm. Short of one heck of an apology, I'd start looking for new friends. :smallconfused: For whatever reason, they've made it pretty clear you're not welcome. There's a time for swallowing your pride, and there's a time for saying "talking poo is where I draw the line" and going home. :smallcool:

Lycan 01
2010-02-28, 04:17 AM
Well, from what I read, you did kinda blow them off first. So maybe the thought it'd be a funny, if wrong and hurtful, way to get back at you? I think it might have been a misunderstanding, and a difference in senses of humor...

I was once locked out of a guys house because he liked ninjas, and I had a pirate shirt on that day. The moment he opened the door and saw I had it on, he cussed me out and slammed the door. :smallconfused:

Serpentine
2010-02-28, 04:20 AM
Kinda sounds like a joke stretched out too long, to me. I mean, at least you didn't get stuck outside in the cold all on your own for half an hour or more watching your friends sit and drink in front of the window in full view of you when you walked out of the uni bar after the lock-out time because your friends were heading out and just went to search for the other member of the group before leaving and then decided to sit down and have a whole damn jug of beer that was going cheap just after your boyfriend, the other member, was all sulky and spiteful and generally making you feel bad about yourself over a bad passing joke that you can't even remember anymore...
So yeah. At least it wasn't that, eh?