PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Initiate of Amaunator

herrhauptmann
2010-02-28, 02:55 AM
Was browsing through Power of Faerun, and found a feat on page 58 "Initiate of Amaunator." A cleric or paladin with this faith is pretty much a person who claims that Lathander will be reborn as the ancient Netherese sun god Amaunator (they were right).
BUT: the other prereqs I'm not so sure about.
Heretic of the Faith (Risen sun or 3 faced sun) OR Servant of the Fallen (Amaunator)
Does anyone know where to find those other prereqs?

By the way, this feat seems to be a relatively cheese free way to gain Time Stop and haste without needing initiate of mystra. (Swiftblade in heavy armor :smallbiggrin:)

gorfnab
2010-02-28, 04:35 AM
Servant of the Fallen (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Servant_of_the_Fallen) is in Lost Empires of Faerun on page 9
Heretic of the Faith is in Power of Faerun on page 46

herrhauptmann
2010-02-28, 12:45 PM
Great, thanks.
Can't believe I missed Heretic of the Fallen though.

Greenish
2010-02-28, 01:18 PM
By the way, this feat seems to be a relatively cheese free way to gain Time Stop and haste without needing initiate of mystra. (Swiftblade in heavy armor :smallbiggrin:)Cleric can get Time Stop from Trickery Domain, and I wouldn't be surprised if Haste popped up in some domain too.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-02-28, 01:26 PM
Cleric can get Time Stop from Trickery Domain, and I wouldn't be surprised if Haste popped up in some domain too.

The aptly-named Celerity domain has both, plus a few other handy spells like blur and greater blink.

herrhauptmann
2010-02-28, 01:29 PM
Yeah, haste is in 'time' domain I think. But you need other feats to be able to cast your domain spell more than once per day.
If I want to make a swiftblade cleric, and I'm starting him from level one, I don't want to have to spend my fifth level casting only one 3rd level spell per day.
Plus, it's another avenue to the same destination. Even if it takes same number of feats, it seems more interesting than a Trickery/Time domain cleric.

Greenish
2010-02-28, 01:31 PM
Yeah, haste is in 'time' domain I think. But you need other feats to be able to cast your domain spell more than once per day.
If I want to make a swiftblade cleric, and I'm starting him from level one, I don't want to have to spend my fifth level casting only one 3rd level spell per day.
Plus, it's another avenue to the same destination. Even if it takes same number of feats, it seems more interesting than a Trickery/Time domain cleric.Oh yes, I just thought about pointing those out. I'm a big fan of domains. :smallwink:

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-02-28, 02:27 PM
Plus, it's another avenue to the same destination. Even if it takes same number of feats, it seems more interesting than a Trickery/Time domain cleric.

Taking the Initiate of Amaunator feat vs. taking Domain Spontaneity (Celerity/Time) is a matter of 2 feats to 1; as long as you have enough turn attempts to cover all your 3rd level slots, the domain option is usually stronger mechanically. I prefer the latter for my divine swiftblades because (A) it's deity-nonspecific and (B) you get Celerity's granted power of +10 base land speed on top of the spell list, which is always nice.

Where the Initiate feat pulls ahead is later in Swiftblade where you can use haste in higher level slots for the time stop effect, at which point you probably don't have enough turn attempts to power Domain Spontaneity. Just be aware that, although it's not an objectively weak option, going the Initiate route requires a slightly higher initial investment for a later payoff.

Pluto
2010-02-28, 02:45 PM
Taking the Initiate of Amaunator feat vs. taking Domain Spontaneity (Celerity/Time) is a matter of 2 feats to 1; as long as you have enough turn attempts to cover all your 3rd level slots, the domain option is usually stronger mechanically.
Or use PHB2's spontaneous domain ACF.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-02-28, 03:04 PM
Or use PHB2's spontaneous domain ACF.

That works too; it all depends on what you're willing to give up.

herrhauptmann
2010-02-28, 03:14 PM
Taking the Initiate of Amaunator feat vs. taking Domain Spontaneity (Celerity/Time) is a matter of 2 feats to 1; as long as you have enough turn attempts to cover all your 3rd level slots, the domain option is usually stronger mechanically. I prefer the latter for my divine swiftblades because (A) it's deity-nonspecific and (B) you get Celerity's granted power of +10 base land speed on top of the spell list, which is always nice.

Where the Initiate feat pulls ahead is later in Swiftblade where you can use haste in higher level slots for the time stop effect, at which point you probably don't have enough turn attempts to power Domain Spontaneity. Just be aware that, although it's not an objectively weak option, going the Initiate route requires a slightly higher initial investment for a later payoff.

What are prereqs for Domain Spontaneity? I thought you could only spontaneously cast a domain spell with that feat if you had gained the domain from your deity.

Edit: Nevermind, found it on crystalkeep. So which deities grant Celerity Domain?
(also, haste is a 4th level spell with that domain. So if my goal is swiftblade, I'm putting it off till later)

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-02-28, 07:34 PM
What are prereqs for Domain Spontaneity? I thought you could only spontaneously cast a domain spell with that feat if you had gained the domain from your deity.

Edit: Nevermind, found it on crystalkeep. So which deities grant Celerity Domain?
(also, haste is a 4th level spell with that domain. So if my goal is swiftblade, I'm putting it off till later)

The gods that have it are Balinor, Dark Six (Pantheon), Ehlonna, Fharlanghn, Olidammara, Sovereign Host (pantheon), The Traveler, Xan Yae, and Zouken. I'd forgotten about the level increase; as I mentioned, I usually go Time/Celerity so I still get Haste as a 3rd. Time is still a good pick because you get things like contingency and moment of prescience, so you could always choose Time and one other rather than Celerity and one other if you don't want both domains to come pre-chosen.

Runestar
2010-02-28, 08:45 PM
Those had better be some powerful spells, I am spending a feat to do something other clerics can do for free - worship a god and get spells. :smallannoyed:

herrhauptmann
2010-02-28, 08:52 PM
Those had better be some powerful spells, I am spending a feat to do something other clerics can do for free - worship a god and get spells. :smallannoyed:

Well being a DMM cleric with easy access to Timestop is pretty dang nice, especially if I can do so as the a cleric of one of my favorite Faerun gods.
Bypassing the whole swiftblade (my favorite gish), could instead go Radiant servant of Lathander (pelor), while retaining access to those spells.

I can think of no way in which a typical lathander cleric is automatically stronger than the heretic lathanderite. (Well, except for the strength of their followers. Apparently being branded a heretic gives you a penalty to your leadership score.)