PDA

View Full Version : (CE) Favored Soul Build Questions

Elucidus
2010-02-28, 12:41 PM
I am starting in a new evil campaign, the world is 98% good and light. We are running around in the shadowed corners of the world. My character is a demon in a human body. Basically the demon got stuck on the material plane, destroyed my body's soul and took it over. He has been working on starting a cult to himself and building up his powers. That is how he became a favored soul.

Here are my concerns. I am looking for some PrCs and feats that go along with this theme and would help him fight the light and goodness of the world.

Stats: 11, 14, 14, 10, 16, 20 (I can adjust these 19, 14, 14, 13, 13, 12, by sutracting 2 and adding 1)
He is level 7 and human

I don't really know where to start. Never built an evil favored soul. I have him with some basic healing as a way to attract followers and help out the party as needed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
~Luc

opheliagonemad
2010-02-28, 07:02 PM
Well it depends. If it's a more intrigue style campaign, I'd pick up lots of spells for concealing alignment or winning people over through trickery; if there's more combat, I'd focus on debuffing enemies and destruction themed offensive spells. I don't have my books with me, so I'm not 100% sure how many spells known at level 7 a favored souls has, but if it's similar to a sorcerer, these are the spells I'd think about choosing (SRD only):
Level 0: Cure minor, detect magic, read magic, mending, create water, detect poison, purify food and drink
Level 1: Cure light wounds, curse water, doom, entropic shield, and either inflict light wounds, magic weapon, or obscuring mist
Level 2: Sound burst or inflict moderate wounds for offense, align weapon, cure moderate wounds, enthrall, and undetectable alignment for other spells, focusing on the gaining followers aspect.
Level 3: Bestow curse. I'd also pick up cure or inflict serious wounds.

Favored soul's casting stat is charisma, so I'd put the 20 in that and pick up leadership and/or persuasive (again, assuming SRD only). Nothing says "join my cult" like already having minions. Then probably strength or con at 16, then the other score at 14. I'd put the other 14 in wisdom, probably, unless you feel like 14 int would fit the character better. I wouldn't worry about dex since I believe favored souls get proficiency in decently heavy armor, so I'd use that. If it were my character he'd be in decently heavy armor and carry a heavy flail. Since you're wanting to go CE rather than LE or NE I'd go for a cult of the demon of battle kind of flavor.

Mongoose87
2010-02-28, 07:19 PM
I wouldn't use any spells known up on Cure Wounds of any type. You can get Wands of that, Wands of Vigor.

Thurbane
2010-02-28, 08:56 PM
In Exemplars of Evil (or maybe Elder Evils) there is an ACF for Favored Souls called Favored of Fiends, that trades weapon focus and specialization for claw and bite attacks, that overcome DR/good.

Elucidus
2010-03-01, 07:10 PM
Thanks guys, I was told any source material is fine.
It’s supposed to be an even mixture of intrigue/combat
I was thinking of leadership as it makes sense. I was also thinking of touch and ranged touch spells with no saves, so I don’t need a high wisdom.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-03-01, 10:29 PM
Favored soul's casting stat is charisma, so I'd put the 20 in that and pick up leadership and/or persuasive (again, assuming SRD only). Nothing says "join my cult" like already having minions. Then probably strength or con at 16, then the other score at 14. I'd put the other 14 in wisdom, probably, unless you feel like 14 int would fit the character better. I wouldn't worry about dex since I believe favored souls get proficiency in decently heavy armor, so I'd use that. If it were my character he'd be in decently heavy armor and carry a heavy flail. Since you're wanting to go CE rather than LE or NE I'd go for a cult of the demon of battle kind of flavor.

Actually, the favored souls casting is divided between charisma and wisdom. Charisma determines highest level spell and bonus spells, while wisdom sets saved DC's. Unless you're going to avoid spells that give saves you'll want that 16 in wis, a 14 in con and then whatever you like for str dex and int.

golem1972
2010-03-02, 01:04 AM
Not necessarily a great option, but you might look at the Empty Vessels / Inspired from Eberron. They are basically "Elite" Humans with Quori (dream demons) posessing them. Or the Hellbred race from Fiendish Compendium (?).

Optimystik
2010-03-02, 09:55 AM
Actually, the favored souls casting is divided between charisma and wisdom. Charisma determines highest level spell and bonus spells, while wisdom sets saved DC's. Unless you're going to avoid spells that give saves you'll want that 16 in wis, a 14 in con and then whatever you like for str dex and int.

I always found that divide odd - if you must make them MAD, it should be the opposite; Cha is force of personality, so it should determine the power of your spells, whereas Wisdom is your understanding, so it should determine the highest level of spell you can achieve as well as any bonus castings you achieve understanding of.

Anyway, avoiding offensive spells isn't a bad option for an FS. If you treat them like a powerful Paladin instead of a weak Cleric they can be fairly strong - the right deity gets them MWP and they eventually get wings, though you don't need those with the right spells. Focus on self-buffs and you'll be a very competent gish. A level of Prestige Paladin will give you access to Paladin spells without losing CL (as well as Smite Evil), while Sacred Exorcist will give you Turn Undead.

In that instance, Charisma will be more useful - you'll have very powerful Turning/Smiting and a ton of buffs/healing. You'll also have less MAD than a Paladin due to buffs like Divine Power. You can even do without persisting it because you can cast it so many times per day.

The wings generally aren't worth PrCing out for, but if you do stay with the class that long, you have a way to go after casters - You have natural flight (60ft.) and can cast AMF. The feat from RotW gives you perfect maneuverability. By level 17 though, that's a pretty weak tactic against most casters.

Elucidus
2010-03-02, 10:10 PM
You need turn undead to take prestiege paladin. Anyway i am looking for demon related stuff so i will check out those from eberron. I was thinking of Diabolist, but that is very bland.

Apropos
2010-03-02, 10:18 PM
Thanks guys, I was told any source material is fine.
It’s supposed to be an even mixture of intrigue/combat
I was thinking of leadership as it makes sense. I was also thinking of touch and ranged touch spells with no saves, so I don’t need a high wisdom.

Leadership is annoying to deal with. It doesn't really seem like you're too keen on building another character, so it doesn't even look like it would have too much sway over the game.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-02, 10:21 PM
You need to devote your Favored Soul to Seterous (Elder Evils), then find a way to PrC into Soverign Speaker (Faiths of Eberron). Nothing says awesome like having every Domain in existence...

Elucidus
2010-03-02, 10:44 PM
Actually, Sinfire, that fits the concept pretty well. Afterall, he is trying to start a cult to himself, so if he has domains he can draw from the abyss he can give them to his own clerics eventually. I sent it on to my DM to see what he thinks.

Now to figure out spells I want, all resources i was told are acceptable. Any help would be appreciated.

Optimystik
2010-03-03, 01:40 AM
You need turn undead to take prestiege paladin.

Sacred Exorcist 1 solves that, as I mentioned.

As for spells to take, try the Cleric Handbook. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.0)

Thurbane
2010-03-03, 01:57 AM
Sacred Exorcist
Alignment: Any good.

...I'm sensing a problem here...

Elucidus
2010-03-03, 07:18 PM
another problem as my DM pointed out is that as a favored soul I don’t have any domains so I can’t take soverign speaker.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-03, 07:24 PM
another problem as my DM pointed out is that as a favored soul I don’t have any domains so I can’t take soverign speaker.

Divine Oracle.

Adonis1x23
2010-03-04, 12:08 AM
Check out the fiendish codex 2 for a ton of flavorful stuff that meshes really well with your concept. Maybe consider Hellbred instead of plain human.