PDA

View Full Version : Warcraft 3 Patching

Melamoto
2010-02-28, 01:35 PM
This is a simple question, so I'll try to keep this short.

I really like Warcraft 3, and want to play it. The problem is that when I got my new computer, I copied it across from my old computer. I know this is usually a bit of a stupid thing to do, but I didn't have the CD keys, and it would save a lot of time patching and installing. This worked fine for quite a while, until for some reason Blizzard decided to release patch 1.4. Now the patch won't install on my computer because the registry doesn't have its install listed, and I can no longer play online. The old computer is dead and gone, and I can't find my CD Keys anywhere.

I have tried downloading and installing the patch manually, but this also searches for the install directory from the registry, and so automatically fails no matter what. I don't want to have to buy another copy, so is there any way I can make my current Warcraft copy either patch directly, or get entered into the registry? Or is there somewhere among the warcraft files where I can find the CD Keys I used to install it? Or, are there any other solutions I haven't already considered?

u-gotNOgame
2010-02-28, 01:47 PM
Since you can't re-install, the registry is probably still reading your old comps file path into where it needs to patch. The only way to change this is with Reg-edit. There was a similar question in our Warcraft III Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110841&page=16) and got many good responces. Posts 475 and 477 would be most prudent to your question. Also, while your there, you can check out when you can play with the rest of us :smallwink:.

-UGNG

SparkMandriller
2010-02-28, 01:52 PM
If he copied the game from his old computer to the new one, he won't have any registry entries at all, so that won't help.

You appear to be out of luck sir.

Melamoto
2010-02-28, 03:06 PM
Ok, no problem, it's fixed. The advice on that other Warcraft III thread told me where and what the registry entry was. I just had to add a new registry string value into the Warcraft III named "InstallPath", change the value to my WC3 folder, and it suddenly worked. Crisis averted, thanks!

Legoshrimp
2010-03-01, 12:37 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I think there are programs that will allow you to grab your cdkey from the directory. Your just copying from comp to comp could make it so they don't work, but it is still worth a shot. Just google "wc3 cdkey grabber".

Just in case one of the mods thinks this would be illegal I won't actually find and link to a program directly, but it should't be hard for you to find it. Also these programs could be used to illegally steal a cdkey from somewhere, but there is also the very valid use that you have for it.