PDA

View Full Version : Onions: A Culinary Quandary (SOLVED!)

Flarp
2010-02-28, 06:58 PM
Solved: Teutonic Knight's Phở Broth solution satisfies the criteria of the bet - much rejoicing!

Through a series of extremely convoluted events that are both amusing and too long to retell here, I have managed to become entangled in a bet which serves to greatly benefit me.

The problem is, I would need research to win said bet - research that should never need to be done while the Internet is around.

So, therefore, I have a question for all playgrounders: is there such a thing as a soup, stew, or broth that, during the cooking/preparation process, involves a whole onion being placed in the mix? The onion can be peeled, and it can also be removed at a later point.

The fate of an entire curriculum may depend on the existence of this soup.

Sneak
2010-02-28, 06:59 PM
French onion soup. Google for recipes.

And it's delicious!

EDIT: Wait, you mean...not chopped up at all? Because if so, I have no idea.

Teutonic Knight
2010-02-28, 07:02 PM
My mama makes pho broth with a whole roasted onion in it. So pho, I guess. Not sure if everyone makes it that way.

Kneenibble
2010-02-28, 07:07 PM
Onions are often put whole when making broths.

Since bone broths especially simmer for hours, the onion being whole lets its flavour come out more slowly and fully, and not just dissolve into mush within twenty minutes.

I remember my mom always made broths with bones and whole vegetables like that, and I would always hover near her when she strained it to eat the pulp-soft onions and carrots that would otherwise be thrown away. They satisfied some inscrutable desire in me.

Flarp
2010-02-28, 07:12 PM
My mama makes pho broth with a whole roasted onion in it. So pho, I guess. Not sure if everyone makes it that way.

I can definitely work with this. Thank you!

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-28, 08:50 PM
Yo Mamma!

Wait, that dosen't work here.

Alteran
2010-02-28, 08:52 PM
Wait, that dosen't work here.

That's what she said!

:smalltongue:

thirdkingdom
2010-03-01, 06:11 AM
Whenever we make chicken stock, which while not a soup in its own right is used as a base for many soups, we add onions, celery, carrots, etc. as well as the chicken parts. Let simmer for a few, eight hours, remove veggies and chicken bits. So you could say that all the soups we make from chicken stock have had whole onions in them at some point.