PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Scion?

StoryKeeper
2010-02-28, 09:00 PM
Hey, everyone! I plan to run a game of Scion: Hero for the first time ever soon. I've had the books for a while now, but it took the Percy Jackson movie to convince my pals to actually play.

Personally, I really like the system for the most part. It seems to reward in-character and cinematic role-playing, doesn't seem that hard to get a grasp on mechanics-wise, and I'm always a sucker for anything that is tied strongly to mythology.

The rules for Fatebinding seem like they could potentially be a real headache (you have to do a series of rolls every time you use some of your more supernatural abilities and then, if the player is lucky or unlucky, work in at least one character into the plot later on.) I think I'll probably just handwave most of that and automatically "fatebind" people when it seems epic to do so so that it fits the story better. Other than that, so long as I can homebrew my own boons fairly quickly, I think it looks like a great system.

What do you guys think?

Kylarra
2010-02-28, 09:06 PM
Huh, I go for months without getting to talk about it and there are two threads (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143596) in the same week. Go figure.

Anyway, I like the system in general, and I think homebrewing a wider array of boons for each level will help a lot. Some (like Sky 2) are rather invaluable no matter what, but the majority are really niche and will probably have your players sticking to more concrete epic attributes.

I highly recommend sticking to just heroic levels, or toning down the power of epic attributes if you plan on playing at higher levels.

Fatebinding is a pretty fun mechanic, imo, but that's because I tend to like to throw curveballs at my players. It just gives you another justification for having NPCs attach themselves to players. Ignoring it for the most part won't change the game.

erikun
2010-02-28, 09:10 PM
Here was the last Scion thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143596), so it might give you some ideas about the system. They're more opinions reguarding whether to use/not use the system than tips on running a game, though.

If you could give Xallace an idea of that boons are available, that would be great - it's been awhile since I read the book, and don't recall them off-hand.

Other than that, is sounds like you have a good handle on things. One point I liked about Scion was that it is similar enough to the other White Wolf systems that the two could interact if desired. If you have the other books, then throwing together some Vampires, Werewolves, or Changelings shouldn't be too difficult - especially as enemies. You may need to "translate" their powers into the Scion system a bit, though.

And, of course, the "boons" for the other systems can inspire new boons for your Scion game.