PDA

View Full Version : Just not playing fair

dogmac
2010-02-28, 11:40 PM
I got stung by a bee yesterday.

Yes, yes, it happens, but my complaint is where it happened.

I was sitting on the toilet.

Yes, and indoors toilet, without any flowers or anything else that might tempt him/her.

And I got STUNG.

Fortunately, just on my foot.

CollinPhillips
2010-02-28, 11:42 PM
Oh no! Is the bee alright? Just kidding. You're okay though right?

Krade
2010-03-01, 01:51 AM
Oh no! Is the bee alright? Just kidding. You're okay though right?

Well a lot of the bees this side of the world die after they sting someone, so unless Australia has some kind of demonic super bee it's probably not ok.

golentan
2010-03-01, 02:00 AM
Well a lot of the bees this side of the world die after they sting someone, so unless Australia has some kind of demonic super bee it's probably not ok.

To be fair, it IS australia.

Could be worse, I got Wasped on my unmentionables in similar circumstances.

Krade
2010-03-01, 02:27 AM
To be fair, it IS australia.

True. When it comes to animals in Australia, I make no assumptions. Everything, everything is to be treated with extreme prejudice.

Dr.Epic
2010-03-01, 02:54 AM
When life gives you lemons you squirt lemon juice in life's eyes and take all their loot.

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-01, 02:57 AM
I thought when life gives you lemons, you're supposed to bring about Oblivion and DRAG ALL OF CREATION INTO THE VOID! No, that's not overreacting at all! Okay, maybe I have been flipping through the Abyssals book too much...

Anuan
2010-03-01, 03:00 AM
Native Australian bees have no stingers :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2010-03-01, 03:30 AM

Are they pascifists?

Destro_Yersul
2010-03-01, 03:34 AM
Are they pascifists?

No, they just decided to handicap themselves in order for it to be a fair fight.

Dr.Epic
2010-03-01, 03:50 AM
No, they just decided to handicap themselves in order for it to be a fair fight.

Or maybe it was insurance fraud?

KuReshtin
2010-03-01, 04:52 AM

They might have no stingers, but being Australian, they have the most potent venom known to man. It'll kill a full grown African elephant in 0.02 seconds.
Pity then, that they have no way of injecting it into it's enemies.

Disclaimer: Parts, or all, of the above statement may, or may not, be complete bollocks.

Anuan
2010-03-01, 05:05 AM
It's true, they're completely harmless. And they make terrific honey.

Destro_Yersul
2010-03-01, 05:09 AM
I am disinclined to believe this mad assertion that there's something in Australia that doesn't have a way to kill me.

billtodamax
2010-03-01, 05:41 AM
You could choke on them, I suppose.

They might bump into you annoyingly, distracting you from the drop bears.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-03-01, 05:49 AM
I am disinclined to believe this mad assertion that there's something in Australia that doesn't have a way to kill me.

Are you suggesting that a bilby could kill you?

Man, you're like ... a total wuss or something :smalltongue:

Anuan
2010-03-01, 05:50 AM
It's true, I swear. They bring nothing to the fight.

Nothing but guilt.

Because their honey is so much more delicious than european bee honey, but it's a lot harder for a hive (even a human-designed and farmed etc hive) to produce enough honey that we can have any without them starving to death.

Destro_Yersul
2010-03-01, 05:59 AM
Are you suggesting that a bilby could kill you?

Man, you're like ... a total wuss or something :smalltongue:

Well, actually it was more of a joking claim about the inherent deadliness of everything in Australia, mostly based off the hilarity that is Cracked. :smalltongue:

Boo
2010-03-01, 05:59 AM
Australian bee honey: a guilty pleasure

How is that not a slogan for you guys?

Anuan
2010-03-01, 09:16 AM
I'm not sure. It really should be, though.

Douglas
2010-03-01, 10:00 AM
I thought when life gives you lemons, you're supposed to bring about Oblivion and DRAG ALL OF CREATION INTO THE VOID! No, that's not overreacting at all! Okay, maybe I have been flipping through the Abyssals book too much...
No, no, you're supposed to patent the process by which you got an abstract concept to give you a tangible object and use it to become a trillionaire.

Syka
2010-03-01, 10:25 AM
Ok so...totally off topic, but I have for the first time ever seen a bilby (well, and known what it is whilst seeing it).

I had to google it! And oh my, most adorable thing evar. I'm also pretty sure it's in the teasers for the new show Life (kinda like Planet Earth v2.0) that I've been seeing. So. Cute. *dies*

Also, dogmac, that sucks. :smallfrown: I loathe all of insect kind (yes, all, including butterflies), so I feel ya.

golentan
2010-03-01, 11:35 AM
Ok so...totally off topic, but I have for the first time ever seen a bilby (well, and known what it is whilst seeing it).

I had to google it! And oh my, most adorable thing evar. I'm also pretty sure it's in the teasers for the new show Life (kinda like Planet Earth v2.0) that I've been seeing. So. Cute. *dies*

Also, dogmac, that sucks. :smallfrown: I loathe all of insect kind (yes, all, including butterflies), so I feel ya.

Give me a second. I need a pen, and I'm going to take notes.

Australians... weaponize... cuteness... Test subject... immobilized... within seconds... exposure... vector...

Syka
2010-03-01, 11:42 AM
Give me a second. I need a pen, and I'm going to take notes.

Australians... weaponize... cuteness... Test subject... immobilized... within seconds... exposure... vector...

You should have seen me last night while watching the Planet Earth: Ice Worlds episode. Adele penguins are hilariously cute while trying to run.

Yes, cute is my weakness. I am proud of this. :smallbiggrin:

T-O-E
2010-03-01, 11:45 AM

"You call that a knife stinger?"

rayne_dragon
2010-03-01, 01:20 PM
"You call that a knife stinger?"

I feel obliged to reply with "THIS is a stinger".

Also: that's some bad luck, getting stung indoors like that.

multilis
2010-03-01, 01:23 PM
From description sounds like may have been wasp.

*If* it was bee, likely was injured.

dogmac
2010-03-01, 05:40 PM
Hey, I'm Australian and I've never tried to kill you.

Admittedly, I'm an imported species.

And I don't discount it happening in the future, you know, never say never.

Copacetic
2010-03-01, 05:49 PM

:smallfrown:

In other news, I'm kinda buying into "It's not from Australia if it can't kill you" theory.

Boo
2010-03-01, 06:08 PM
:smallfrown:

In other news, I'm kinda buying into "It's not from Australia if it can't kill you" theory.

To defend Syka's reasoning... some butterflies are poisonous.

Syka
2010-03-01, 06:14 PM
To defend Syka's reasoning... some butterflies are poisonous.

...:smalleek:

Not. Helping.

No, I'm terrified of all bugs. It's ridiculous and very embarrassing, but true. I'm fine as long as bugs are outside and Over There. If they are Right Here or inside with me, I freak out hard core. We're talking can't stop watching to make sure it's not coming closer to me, and if it does, screaming and running and/or shaking uncontrollably. I had a cricket loose in my room once and I couldn't go back in it for 2 hours and was almost in tears. :smallfrown: It sucks.

Pyrian
2010-03-01, 06:25 PM
some butterflies are poisonous.If you eat them! :smalltongue:

dogmac
2010-03-01, 06:40 PM
Syka, I sympathise. I feel the same about rats. I know SOME weird freaky people keep rats as pets and love them. I also know that said rats are only waiting for a chance to CHEW YOUR FACE OFF!

Krade
2010-03-01, 07:20 PM
If you eat them! :smalltongue:

Beat me to the punch...

Also, pet rats are awesome.

dogmac
2010-03-01, 07:41 PM
Yeah, Krade, just don't say you weren't warned when you wake up with your face gnawed off.

Krade
2010-03-01, 07:55 PM
I've always kept my pet rats in a cage. I doubt potty training them would be a viable option and I don't want rat poops all up in my corners.

Thursday
2010-03-01, 10:16 PM
...:smalleek:
I had a cricket loose in my room once and I couldn't go back in it for 2 hours and was almost in tears. :smallfrown: It sucks.

There are crickets loose in my room right now, I can hear the little blighters..

They're supposed to be in the gecko tank being devoured by my hungry lizards... guess I left the door open too long again. Probably turn up under my pillow again... Maybe I should release one of the spiders. Hmmmm.

Sorry, I just never understood the insects are creepy thing, just don't have it. Trying to sympathise, I really am, but they are just so awesome!
(-but then I have to declare an interest. I'm an Entomologist.)

I get stung a lot. If I lived in had ever been to Australia, I'd have been killed many times over by now...

Krade
2010-03-01, 10:53 PM
Sorry, I just never understood the insects are creepy thing, just don't have it. Trying to sympathise, I really am, but they are just so awesome!
(-but then I have to declare an interest. I'm an Entomologist.)

Have you ever seen a scorpion kill and eat a cricket? it's way more awesome than seeing a snake eat a rat/mouse.

Thursday
2010-03-01, 11:01 PM
Have you ever seen a scorpion kill and eat a cricket? it's way more awesome than seeing a snake eat a rat/mouse.

Hmm, nooo, but we used to keep Preying mantids at work, and watching them take stuff apart is also extremely awesome.

Amiel
2010-03-01, 11:43 PM
Fear, fear greatly.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/images/2007/09/070912145919-large.jpg

Krade
2010-03-02, 12:01 AM
Fear, fear greatly.

*snip*

Yeeaah... I'm never going to Australia. Ever.

Is that from spiders or ants?

Anuan
2010-03-02, 12:04 AM
Spiders, but as I recall, that's from America...

Amiel
2010-03-02, 12:06 AM
Yeah, that's not even from Australia :smalltongue:
It's from the good ole US of A.

Oh, and spiders!

This looks awkward
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3994/easpider122jp7.jpg

And yes, that seems to be an Australian spider.

dogmac
2010-03-02, 12:09 AM
Except that photo is from Texas.....

Krade
2010-03-02, 12:15 AM
My point still stands. Especially in light of recently presented evidence.

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3994/easpider122jp7.jpg

_Zoot_
2010-03-02, 03:05 AM
My Dad once had a Bird eating spider on his hat, wile the hat was on his head. The other soldiers thought it was very funny; He did not share that view.

He is a picture for you:
http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o329/_Zoot_/BirdEatingSpider.jpg

ON HIS HAT!!!!

Thajocoth
2010-03-02, 11:18 PM
Fear, fear greatly.

This reminds me of the time I saw the best spiderweb I've ever seen. You see, most spider webs I see look nothing like the ones on TV. They're more of a sticky gray surface. This one though, it was perfect. The lines going across the web were all at perfect angles from one another... The spiral was flawless, and it covered my entire doorway, with the exception of leaving enough room underneath for the dogs & cats to pass by. The week it was made, no one but our pets used the back door, and I had only looked down when letting the animals in or out. My parents and brother were on a vacation. When they came home, they saw the web & pointed it out to me.

Unfortunately, we had to take it down (obviously), but my dad spread it over a nearby bush instead of just throwing it out. The spider put a lot of work into that... And would likely starve to death if we threw it out entirely. Also, eating local bugs keeps them out of our house.

LordZarth
2010-03-02, 11:23 PM
My brother had a bee fly into his mouth and sting him there.

This is why he's afraid of bees.

Volthawk
2010-03-03, 02:53 PM
Fear, fear greatly.

Awesome. Just awesome.

Asta Kask
2010-03-03, 03:11 PM
I've always kept my pet rats in a cage. I doubt potty training them would be a viable option and I don't want rat poops all up in my corners.

They can be potty trained if you start when they're young... but only for poop. For Number One, females can be trained but males will still mark their territory wherever they go.

Deathslayer7
2010-03-03, 03:38 PM
i got stung by a bee while swimming on my hip. I'm 90% sure my hip was below water when it happened. So explain that one to me. Didn't even realize it happened at first but when i kept swimming im thinking "why does my hip hurt?"

and i did not like that spider picture *shudder*

cockroaches and spiders I just cant stand.

Thajocoth
2010-03-03, 03:49 PM
Are you sure it was a bee? Jellyfish sting too.

Deathslayer7
2010-03-03, 05:06 PM
that must explain why the pool turned a bit purpleish for a day or two. :smallamused:

Alyss
2010-03-03, 05:32 PM
You murdered a bee?

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-03, 06:33 PM
My brother had a bee fly into his mouth and sting him there.

This is why he's afraid of bees.One of my friends was on a schoolbus when a grasshopper jumped (probably inadverdently) into her mouth while she was laughing, and she accidentally bit down on it...

...and now, for some reason, she's creeped out by grasshoppers. :smallconfused:

Thursday
2010-03-03, 06:35 PM
Man! those things are really good for you!

(unless theyv'e been someplace you wish they hadn't)

Amiel
2010-03-04, 09:23 AM
Unfortunately, we had to take it down (obviously), but my dad spread it over a nearby bush instead of just throwing it out. The spider put a lot of work into that... And would likely starve to death if we threw it out entirely. Also, eating local bugs keeps them out of our house.

That's good!

It's shame that people continue to ruthlessly vandalise and indiscriminately slaughter spiders; how would you like it if someone ransacked your home or exterminated you for simply existing? :smallannoyed:

Fine, you don't like the look of spiders but that's no reason to needlessly commit atrocities upon their kind! They serve a vital environmental role and purpose.

I believe Sir David Attenborough said it best; "if we and the rest of the backboned animals were to disappear overnight, the rest of the world would get on pretty well. But if they were to disappear, the land's ecosystems would collapse. The soil would lose its fertility. Many of the plants would no longer be pollinated. Lots of animals, amphibians, reptiles, birds, mammals would have nothing to eat. And our fields and pastures would be covered with dung and carrion. These small creatures are within a few inches of our feet, wherever we go on land – but often, they're disregarded. We would do very well to remember them."

Awesome. Just awesome.

:smallbiggrin:

Also, this thread needs more of Lion's Mane Jellyfish.

http://www.calvintang.com/albums/other/uberjelly.jpg

And no, that is not a photoshop; its tentacles can apparently trail up to 60 metres in length O_O.

GolemsVoice
2010-03-04, 09:34 AM
Iä! Iä! Jellyfish fhtaghn!

Seriously, Jellyfish creep me the hell out. You are NOT supposed to see a creature's insides, ever. And the quiet floating doesn't help, it only masks their inherent malevolence, which, despite seeing everything ELSE, can't be seen.

Asta Kask
2010-03-04, 09:35 AM
Superstition in Sweden holds that if you kill a spider you get bad weather.

KuReshtin
2010-03-04, 10:05 AM
Superstition in Sweden holds that if you kill a spider you get bad weather.

Isn't that only if you kill them before lunch, though? If you kill a spider before lunch, the afternoon will bring bad weather.
However, if you kill a spider after lunch, then that's not a big deal.

Anuan
2010-03-04, 10:08 AM
Iä! Iä! Jellyfish fhtaghn!

Seriously, Jellyfish creep me the hell out. You are NOT supposed to see a creature's insides, ever. And the quiet floating doesn't help, it only masks their inherent malevolence, which, despite seeing everything ELSE, can't be seen.

Sea Wasps (A type of Box Jellyfish here in Australia) actively hunt their prey instead of drifting like most Jellies.

They can kill a grown man in as little as three minutes.

Thursday
2010-03-04, 10:54 AM
Superstition in England holds that if you find a very small spider you get money.

Er.. Or its something like that anyway.. why are they called Money spiders?
I should know this.. *goes to look up*