PDA

View Full Version : Couched damage in 4e

Katana_Geldar
2010-03-01, 12:39 AM
I have probably been playing WAAAAAAAAY too much Mount & Blade, but as I was rolling up a new character just now I could not help but wonder how this would work.

Scenario: a character is mounted and able to charge into a fight and gore a mook on the end of a spear, longspear etc. One would need to be riding a certain amount of spaces to build up speed, and another creature/player being within one square of the front of the mounted player would mean an immediate interrupt.

There would be some sort of bonus damage relevant to the amount of spaces moved.

Anyone care to stat this?

Lycan 01
2010-03-01, 01:11 AM
Why does this thread title make me wonder what the damage of being hit by/cruched under a couch would be?

As for building up speed for a mounted attack, like in a joust or something... I'd probably just houserule it, and say that for every 2 squares moved you add 1 extra point of damage, or if you charge the max distance or cover a certain area within a certain number of turns it automatically makes the damage the max amount possible, since the spear would have enough force behind it to cause massive trauma... :smallconfused:

krossbow
2010-03-01, 01:12 AM
Great, now i want to make a hulking hurler leap onto a mook with a couch, crush them and yell "WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY?!"

Katana_Geldar
2010-03-01, 01:47 AM
I can't find a video to show couched damage :smallfrown:, but the idea is that the lance goes through a mook, skewering them.

What sort of minimum movement do you think? The idea is for thing sort of thing is to pick up speed. Could this be a reaction of having x amount of movement and being adjacent to an enemy?

As for the couch, that would be an interesting Elan sort of thing.

AgentPaper
2010-03-01, 03:30 AM
Sounds like a critical hit. Just make a houseruled feat, heroic tier, when you charge an enemy while mounted and using a spear, you score a critical hit on a 19-20.

If you want, you could also make it so that you have to have charged your full movement to gain this benefit, as opposed to the normal 2 squares.

Another possibility is to have a feat that makes it so, when you spend a move action and then charge while mounted, you crit on a 19-20 and/or deal extra damage.

Definitely a feat, at any rate. Possibly a fighter/paladin only feat, even.

Katana_Geldar
2010-03-01, 04:50 AM
I think you'd have to make it coming off Mounted Combat, have Mounted Combat as a prerequisite to it and I would also make it so you'd have to have a high strength score.

I wonder, would there by anyway to take into account the horse? Not so much as adjusting the thing for a particular mount, but some horses honestly wouldn't do this. Maybe have it so you have to have a particular mount, like a warhorse or something that would be trained.

I know a cavalry charge on a rhino would be interesting.

tcrudisi
2010-03-01, 06:41 AM
Sounds like a critical hit. Just make a houseruled feat, heroic tier, when you charge an enemy while mounted and using a spear, you score a critical hit on a 19-20.

If you want, you could also make it so that you have to have charged your full movement to gain this benefit, as opposed to the normal 2 squares.

Another possibility is to have a feat that makes it so, when you spend a move action and then charge while mounted, you crit on a 19-20 and/or deal extra damage.

Definitely a feat, at any rate. Possibly a fighter/paladin only feat, even.

I like this idea. Since 19-20 crit range is an epic tier feat, it would need to be balanced against this. Obviously, making it mounted combat only is a drawback... so it has 2 possible balance options: make this available at paragon level (definitely not heroic) or make it epic level and add the restrained (save ends) condition onto the foe you crit on.

So it would be one of the following:

Mounted Couch
Paragon Tier
Prerequisite: 11th level, Mounted Combat feat, Str 19
Benefit: When you make an attack with a lance after moving at least 3 squares on your mount, you can score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.

or

Mounted Couch
Epic Tier
Prerequisite: 21st level, Mounted Combat feat, Str 19
Benefit: When you make an attack with a lance after moving at least 3 squares on your mount, you can score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20. If you score a critical hit in this way, your target is restrained (save ends).

Since I am away from book currently, by lance I really mean greatspear and anything else that is similar and makes sense to use on a mount. I just can't remember what all weapons are available like that.

The extra critical hit range would suffice as the "extra damage", just like AgentPaper suggested. The restrained condition is particularly nasty, which is why that version would be the epic level version.

Yakk
2010-03-01, 11:52 AM
This isn't a feat, but a houserule. The idea is that the charger burns a standard action on the previous round to set up the charge. The charger gets a large damage bonus on the attack if it hits.

People being charged can choose to scatter rather than be run down. If that happens, you lose the huge damage bonus, but you did manage to force your target to dodge!

Mounted Charge (Standard Action)
Move your speed in a strait line. On your next turn, if you continue in a strait line and make a charge action, you deal +[W]+# of squares moved since the start of this action additional damage. At level 11, this increases to +[W]+twice the number of squares moved, and at level 21 to +2[W]+three times the number of squares moved.

Kurald Galain
2010-03-01, 12:06 PM
Anyone care to stat this?

Jouster's Charge (heroic feat)
Prerequisite: mounted combat.
Requirement: you must be mounted and must wield a reach weapon.
When you charge and hit the target, you deal 1 additional point of damage per square moved during the charge. At paragon tier, 2 points; at epic tier, 3 points.

Brutal Charge (fighter encounter 1)
Effect: you charge an enemy.
Hit: you deal an additional 1[W] damage, and ongoing damage equal to your con modifier.

Pinning Charge (fighter daily 5)
Effect: make a charge against an enemy.
Hit: you deal an additional 2[W] damage and push the target three squares. Shift three squares; if you end up adjacent to the target, it is restrained (save ends).
Miss: 1[W] plus strength modifier damage, and the target falls prone. Shift three squares.

Mando Knight
2010-03-01, 03:04 PM
Brutal Charge (fighter encounter 1)
Effect: you charge an enemy.
Hit: you deal an additional 1[W] damage, and ongoing damage equal to your con modifier.

Unless there's something in MP2 for reach weapons and Con, the only reach weapon that otherwise benefits from a character with a high Con modifier is the halberd, and that's only because it's also an axe.

Katana_Geldar
2010-03-01, 06:38 PM
This is even better than what I came up with :smallbiggrin:

Just one little thing to add: I think this needs a Strength prerequisite, as it would take not a small amount of beef not to fall off one's horse in a cavalry charge. Say 16?

As for handling mounts, I think there should be a minimum level involved to account for them. Say level 3 minimum mount?

AgentPaper
2010-03-01, 07:54 PM
Couched Lance (heroic feat)
Prerequisite: Str 13
Effect: Once per encounter, when you charge at least 6 squares while mounted and using a polearm, you may deal an additional 1[W] damage if you hit.