PDA

View Full Version : counterspell

Steelblood
2010-03-01, 07:44 AM
Question, can a divine fireball be countered by a wizard with fireball prepared?

Optimystik
2010-03-01, 07:47 AM
Counterspelling works even if one spell is divine and the other arcane.

Seems pretty clear-cut to me.

Steelblood
2010-03-01, 07:53 AM
alrighty disregard.

herrhauptmann
2010-03-01, 01:04 PM
Where are you getting a divine fireball?

Flickerdart
2010-03-01, 01:06 PM
Miracle can do it, can't it?

Optimystik
2010-03-01, 01:09 PM

Yes.

Also, note that the quoted clause applies to universal counterspells as well - a divine dispel magic can be used to counter arcane spells, and vice-versa.

herrhauptmann
2010-03-01, 01:10 PM

Seems like overkill, to use a what, 6th level cleric spell to mimic a 3rd level arcane spell. Why not mimic a spell which deals more damage?

Optimystik
2010-03-01, 01:11 PM
Seems like overkill, to use a what, 6th level cleric spell to mimic a 3rd level arcane spell. Why not mimic a spell which deals more damage?

The point is that you can. :smallsmile:

If this is all your player uses Miracle for, be thankful!

Flickerdart
2010-03-01, 01:13 PM
Because your patron god is CE and you requested to smite your enemies. You're lucky that they didn't grant you Acid Splash.

Optimystik
2010-03-01, 01:24 PM
Because your patron god is CE and you requested to smite your enemies. You're lucky that they didn't grant you Acid Splash.

You can explicitly ask for Fireball without the Miracle being perverted, as all arcane spells 7th and lower are fair game.

faceroll
2010-03-01, 01:40 PM
Shadow evocation would produce divine fireballs on a divine shadowcrafter.

Yuki Akuma
2010-03-01, 02:27 PM

Adept or Shugenja. It's very easy to get a divine fireball.

Miracle is 9th level.

ericgrau
2010-03-01, 02:33 PM
If a BBEG was being a nuisance by moving out of your silence (to the last remaining unsilenced corner of the room) and dispelling it, or casting heal on himself when almost dead or teleporting away or etc., this could actually be an interesting tactic: Let the BBEG blow all his high level mojo while you fight normally, then when it looks like he's in trouble, ready an action to counterspell. No matter what he casts to save himself, you'll be ready with a miracle. And unlike dispel there's no check to roll.

Flickerdart
2010-03-01, 02:47 PM
You can explicitly ask for Fireball without the Miracle being perverted, as all arcane spells 7th and lower are fair game.
Yes, but if you were WIS-drained into oblivion and casting from a scroll...the point isn't that it's stupid, the point is it's possible.

Evard
2010-03-01, 03:39 PM
One way I would let players set traps against my bosses (like counter spelling) was to write a condition on a piece of paper and what they wanted to do. One time a player who was playing a wizard done nothing during a fight except hold his turn (ready to counter spell) and on the paper it wrote

Wish: if the BBEG uses a teleportation spell to leave the room change the location to the center of a star. (Remember I didn't know this until the trigger and he showed me)

The player didn't tell anyone what he was doing and during the fight his teammates was getting mad since the "all powerful wizard" was just sitting there twiddling his thumbs lol Finally the fighter and rogue got the BBEG to 5 hp and the BBEG decided to teleport away. I told them that the BBEG says that he loves teleporting as they see him vanish. The wizard's player smiled a huge smile and showed me his counterspell Wish. I didn't see why not so the BBEG ended up in the center of a star. They got full XP and I got to create a new BBEG for a later fight XD

Glimbur
2010-03-01, 03:59 PM
One way I would let players set traps against my bosses (like counter spelling) was to write a condition on a piece of paper and what they wanted to do. One time a player who was playing a wizard done nothing during a fight except hold his turn (ready to counter spell) and on the paper it wrote

Wish: if the BBEG uses a teleportation spell to leave the room change the location to the center of a star. (Remember I didn't know this until the trigger and he showed me)

The player didn't tell anyone what he was doing and during the fight his teammates was getting mad since the "all powerful wizard" was just sitting there twiddling his thumbs lol Finally the fighter and rogue got the BBEG to 5 hp and the BBEG decided to teleport away. I told them that the BBEG says that he loves teleporting as they see him vanish. The wizard's player smiled a huge smile and showed me his counterspell Wish. I didn't see why not so the BBEG ended up in the center of a star. They got full XP and I got to create a new BBEG for a later fight XD

Did he shout "You have activated my trap card!"?

Evard
2010-03-01, 04:26 PM
No that joke got old the first time someone said it at the beginning of the campaign ^ ^

But doing it that way made things a bit fair, if i was DM'ing and knew they were setting a counter spell then i would be less apt to use a spell (not doing it on purpose just kinda of a sub conscious thing).

Runestar
2010-03-01, 06:11 PM
There should be at least one initiate feat which adds fireball to the cleric's spell list. Initiate of kossuth?

Reynard
2010-03-01, 06:14 PM
Fire domain?

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-01, 06:17 PM
Fire domain?

You get Resist energy, not Fireball.

Ernir
2010-03-01, 07:15 PM
I don't think there's any domain that grants Fireball. Or at least, I don't think I have read one. :smalleek:

Greater Anyspell would be less wasteful than a Miracle.

Alternative Source Spell can give you a divine anything (including a divine Fireball)... provided you can cast the spell as an arcane spell.

Yuki Akuma
2010-03-01, 07:29 PM
I don't think there's any domain that grants Fireball. Or at least, I don't think I have read one. :smalleek:

Greater Anyspell would be less wasteful than a Miracle.

Alternative Source Spell can give you a divine anything (including a divine Fireball)... provided you can cast the spell as an arcane spell.

Or you can be an Adept or Shugenja if you want a divine fireball. :smalltongue:

Or an Archivist who nabbed a scroll from an Adept or Shugenja.

Ernir
2010-03-01, 07:41 PM
Or you can be an Adept or Shugenja if you want a divine fireball. :smalltongue:

Or an Archivist who nabbed a scroll from an Adept or Shugenja.

I don't see Fireball on the Adept list (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/npcClasses/adept.htm). :smallconfused:

Shugenja, though - good catch. :smallsmile:

Xenogears
2010-03-01, 07:45 PM
I don't think there's any domain that grants Fireball. Or at least, I don't think I have read one.

Fireball, being the classic damage dealing spell other than magic missile, is far too powerful to give a cleric. Clearly.

Project Icarus
2010-03-01, 08:14 PM
I don't think there's any domain that grants Fireball. Or at least, I don't think I have read one.

Not in 3.X, but the fire domain in Pathfinder grants fireball as its 3rd level spell.

Optimystik
2010-03-01, 09:46 PM
Fireball, being the classic damage dealing spell other than magic missile, is far too iconic to give a cleric. Clearly.

Fixed; sarcasm removed.