PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] [PRC] Psycarnate Weapon

Tome
2010-03-01, 07:55 AM
So I was looking through my copy of Magic Of Incarnum the other day, and I had an idea for a PRC based on the Psycarnum Blade feat. This is the first draft of that idea. Can anyone tell me where I've messed up? Which bits look horribly exploitable? I've not done much in the way of homebrewing, so I'm pretty sure there's a few mistakes somewhere. :smallredface:

I'm thinking I might want to make the Concentration checks scaling, but I'm not sure what the DC should be based on for that. I also might muck around with the Improved Psycarnum Blade ability.

Psycarnate Weapon
Entry Requirements

Skills: Autohypnosis 4 Ranks, Concentration 8 Ranks.
Feat: Psycarnum Blade.
Meldshaping: Ability to bind a Soulmeld to your Hands Chakra.
Special: Mind Blade Class Feature.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Psycarnate Weapon, Throw Mind Blade

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Free Draw, Shape Mind Blade

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Improved Psycarnum Blade (Change Essentia)

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Chakra Binds (Arms, Brow, Shoulders)

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Expanded Psycarnum Capacity (+1)

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Bind Psycarnate Weapon (1 Chakra)

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Improved Psycarnum Blade (Attack Bonus)

8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+6|Displaced Soul

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+6|Chakra Binds (Throat, Waist)

10th|
+7|
+7|
+3|
+7|Improved Psycarnum Blade (Full Attack)

11th|
+8|
+7|
+3|
+7|Chakra Binds (Heart)

12th|
+9|
+8|
+4|
+8|Bind Psycarnate Weapon (2 Chakras)

13th|
+9|
+8|
+4|
+8|Expanded Psycarnum Capacity (+2)

14th|
+10|
+9|
+4|
+9|Chakra Binds (Soul)

15th|
+11|
+9|
+5|
+9|Bind Psycarnate Weapon (3 Chakras), Rebind Psycarnate Weapon[/table]
Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level): Autohypnosis, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Psionics), Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (The Planes), Listen, Profession, Spellcraft, Spot, Swim, Tumble.

Class Features
Weapon and Armour Proficiency: You gain no new proficiencies with weapons, armour, or shields.

Meldshaping: At each Psycarnate Weapon level, you increase your meldshaper level, the number of soulmelds you can shape, the number of chakra binds you can create, and your essentia pool as if you had gained a level in a meldshaping class to which you belonged prior to gaining the Psycarnate Weapon level. You do not, however, gain any other abilities of that class, such as new tiers of chakra binds. If you had more than one meldshaping class before becoming a Psycarnate Weapon, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining your essentia pool, meldshaper level, and the number of soulmelds and chakra binds available.

Psycarnate Weapon (Su): This class feature modifies your Mind Blade, transforming it into a Psycarnate Weapon and allowing you to invest Essentia as though it were a Soulmeld. It does not count against the limit of Soulmelds you may shape. Invested Essentia grants your Psycarnate Weapon an Enhancement bonus on Attack rolls and Damage rolls equal to the number of points of Essentia invested in it. This bonus does not stack with the Enhancement bonus to Attack rolls and Damage rolls gained through levels in the Soulknife Class, though if you have the Mind Blade Enhancement class feature, you continue to gain it's benefits though it is not advanced by taking levels in Psycarnate Weapon. Your Psycarnate Weapon counts as a Soulmeld for the purpose of all spells and other abilities that affect them, including effects that unshape Soulmelds, but may be recreated as normal for a Mind Blade. Your Psycarnate Weapon is Chaotic, Evil, Good or Lawful aligned as per your alignment. In all other ways, your Psycarnate Weapon continues to function as normal for a Mind Blade, including being entitled to a DC 20 Will Save to continue functioning in areas where Psionics or Incarnum do not otherwise function.

Throw Mind Blade (Ex): At 1st level, the Psycarnate Weapon gains the Throw Mind Blade class feature, as the Soulknife Class Feature of the same name, if he does not already have it.

Free Draw (Su): At 2nd level, the Psycarnate Weapon gains the Free Draw class feature, as the Soulknife Class Feature of the same name, if he does not already have it.

Shape Mind Blade (Su): At 2nd level, the Psycarnate Weapon gains the Shape Mind Blade class feature, as the Soulknife Class Feature of the same name, if he does not already have it.

Improved Psycarnum Blade (Su): From 3rd level, you may now freely change the amount of Essentia invested in your Psycarnum Blade feat as though it were a Soulmeld. In addition, starting at 7th level you gain an Insight bonus to Attack rolls equal to the invested Essentia when using your Psycarnum Blade feat. At 10th level this ability improves again, allowing you to apply the benefits of your Psycarnum Blade feat to all attacks made in the round in which it is used, so long as they are made with your Psycarnate Weapon.

Chakra Binds (Su): As you attain higher levels, you can bind your soulmelds and magic items to your Chakras, gaining new powers based on the combination chosen. At 4th level, you can bind your soulmelds or magic items to your Lesser Chakras (Arms, Brow, and Shoulders), in addition to any other Chakras you have available. When you attain 8th level, your Greater Chakras (Throat, Waist) become available for chakra binds. At 11th level, you can bind soulmelds or magic items to your heart chakra, and at 14th level, you can bind them to your soul chakra.

Expanded Psycarnum Capacity (Ex): The Psycarnate Weapon excels at mixing Psionic energy and Essentia. At 5th level and again at 13th level, the essentia capacity of your Psycarnate Blade, as well as any feats that both Psionic feats and Incarnum feats, increases by 1, superseding the number on Table 2–1 on page 19 of Magic Of Incarnum. Other Essentia receptacles, such as Soulmelds tied to Psionics, may also be affected at the DM's discretion.

Bind Psycarnate Weapon (Su): Beginning at 6th Level, you may bind your Psycarnate Weapon to a Chakra as though it were a Soulmeld. It acts exactly as though it were a Soulmeld in this respect, save that it retains it's binding if recreated after being destroyed. It does count against the number of Chakra Binds you may have simultaneously, and occupies whatever Chakra it may be bound to. At first you may only bind your Psycarnum Weapon to a single Chakra at once, but at 12th Level this ability improves to allow you to bind it to up to two Chakras simultaneously. At 15th Level, this ability improves again, allowing you to bind it to up to three Chakras. See the table below for the effects of binding your Psycarnate Weapon to the various Chakras.

Displaced Soul (Ex): Starting at 8th level your Soul becomes displaced into your Psycarnate Weapon. So long as your Psycarnate Weapon is shaped, you gain a +4 bonus on saves against effects that attempt to displace or otherwise directly affect your Soul, such as the Soul Trap spell, as well as Ability Damage and Ability Drain to your mental Ability scores, Negative Levels and Death effects.

Rebind Psycarnum Weapon (Su): At 15th level, you gain the ability to change the chakra to which your Psycarnum Weapon is bound. Only a single Chakra may be changed at a time, and doing so is a Standard Action that does not provoke attacks of Opportunity. Using this ability requires you to expend your Psionic Focus.

Psycarnate Weapon Chakra Binds
{table=head]
Chakra Bind|
Benefit

Crown|Whenever you expend your Psionic focus to power your Psycarnum Blade feat or an ability granted by the Psycarnate Weapon class, you may make a Concentration check at DC 25 as a Free Action at the beginning of your next turn in order to regain your Psionic Focus.

Feet|You gain a +5 ft. Enhancement bonus to your speed for every point of Essentia invested in your Psycarnate Weapon, and by expending your Psionic Focus as a Free action you gain the effect of the Pounce ability for 1 round, though it only applies to attacks made with your Psycarnate Weapon.

Hands|You may use your Psycarnum Blade feat without expending your Psionic Focus a number of times per day equal to your levels in Psycarnate Weapon/2, rounding down. The number of uses remaining stays constant even if you switch to a different Chakra Bind and back.

Arms|Your Psycarnate Weapon counts as being made of a material of your choice for the purposes of overcoming Damage Reduction. You may change the material as a move action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Brow|You may take a Full Round Action and expend your Psionic Focus in order to make a single attack with your Psycarnate Weapon as a Touch attack. If you succeed on a DC 35 Concentration check, you may make a full attack instead.

Shoulders|You gain the Bladewind ability, as per the Soulknife class feature.

Throat|Once per round, on a successful hit with your Psycarnate Weapon, you may expend your Psionic Focus in order to target the creature or object struck with a targeted Dispel Psionics (as the power).

Waist|Once per round, as a free action, you may take nonlethal damage equal to your hit dice in order to make a DC 35 Concentration check. If you succeed on the check, you may take an additional move action.

Heart|Your Psycarnate Weapon gains one weapon special ability from the following list: Acidic Burst, Flaming Burst, Icy Burst, Shocking Burst or Screaming Burst. You may change this special ability to one of the others from this list by taking a Full Round Action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity and expending you Psionic Focus.

Soul|Your Psycarnate Weapon gains the Holy, Unholy, Anarchic and/or Axiomatic properties appropriate to your alignment. The Psycarnate Weapon of a Chaotic Good character using this Chakra Bind, for instance, would gain the Anarchic and Holy properties. A character with a Neutral alignment on either axis gains the Psychokinetic Burst ability instead.

Totem|For the purposes of applying the effects of your feats, abilities, soulmelds and other effects, your Psycarnate Weapon counts as a natural weapon. Similarly, any natural weapons you may possess are counted as being your Psycarnate Weapon for the purposes of employing the abilities granted by the Psycarnate Weapon class and the Chakra Binds of your Psycarnate Weapon.[/table]

EDIT: Whoops, I can't believe I left off the entry requirements and the class skills. Added them in.

Temotei
2010-03-01, 11:40 PM
First things first: get rid of the separate spoilers. Only use spoilers if you have design notes or something along those lines.

I would totally say more, but I'm not that experienced with incarnum. Perhaps soon.

Tome
2010-03-02, 05:07 AM
Ah, good point. Changed!

El_Pablo
2011-03-23, 09:58 PM
Was just looking at a mixed soulknife/soulmelder for a game, and found this. It is neat, but I am a little stunned it is a fifteen level class. Also, you avoid the majority of the soulknife features such as psychic strike and mind-blade enhancement. I think this is kind of neat, but to me it looks like a PrC for a soulmelder he dipped one level in soulknife to qualify for a the psycarnum blade feat. I think the ability binds for the blade to chakras is great, but some other things feel a little lacking. I admire your effort, but I think it would need a little more to feel like a soulknife PrC. As well, I feel the Improved Psycarnum Blade ability feels more like a feat than a class skill.

Melayl
2011-03-24, 12:58 AM
It doesn't look bad... I'd suggest looking at these (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100035) two (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156441&highlight=soulknife+soulborn) threads for more inspiration, though.

Zeb The Troll
2011-03-24, 03:53 AM
Troll Patrol: Thread is more than a year dead. Closed.