PDA

View Full Version : Points, points, hand them to my players

Chromat
2010-03-01, 10:38 AM
So i have this campaign where i would like to introduce points ( something like action points) and hand them to the players each session. And with that points they would be able to do many things like rerolls and such. But! my ideas is that most of benefits gained would kick in in the next session so some planning should be done.

Among others, due to nature of campaign, i need players to be able to "raise from dead" each other. They can pool points for this occasion.

I was planning to hand around 1-4 ( around 2 ) points per session. One automatically, one for good RP and so on. ( oh yeah, we dont use xp, they just level as appropriate to story)

So i ask you for suggestions, what to do with points, and general idea of pricing those powers, especially raise dead that i mentioned.

They are also little behind on WBL so i don't mind giving them a little boost.

Thanks

Tyndmyr
2010-03-01, 10:57 AM
This is a variant on the 7th sea drama die system.

Each player gets, at the beginning of the night, a # of drama die equal to his lowest stat modifier(minimum 1). In addition, for pulling off showy, risky, or otherwise dramatic stuff, the DM may award additional drama die.

Players may use this die(d10, generally) to add, retroactively to any roll. This can happen even after they know what the result would be, but must be before making other rolls.

Once the die is used, it goes into a pool for the DM, who can use these dice in the same fashion.

Unused DM dice roll over to the next session. Unused player dice can be cashed in for an additional 10% xp for the night.

Masaioh
2010-03-01, 11:07 AM
This is a variant on the 7th sea drama die system.

Each player gets, at the beginning of the night, a # of drama die equal to his lowest stat modifier(minimum 1). In addition, for pulling off showy, risky, or otherwise dramatic stuff, the DM may award additional drama die.

Players may use this die(d10, generally) to add, retroactively to any roll. This can happen even after they know what the result would be, but must be before making other rolls.

Once the die is used, it goes into a pool for the DM, who can use these dice in the same fashion.

Unused DM dice roll over to the next session. Unused player dice can be cashed in for an additional 10% xp for the night.

I like it.

Emmerask
2010-03-02, 12:03 AM
So i have this campaign where i would like to introduce points ( something like action points) and hand them to the players each session. And with that points they would be able to do many things like rerolls and such. But! my ideas is that most of benefits gained would kick in in the next session so some planning should be done.

Among others, due to nature of campaign, i need players to be able to "raise from dead" each other. They can pool points for this occasion.

I was planning to hand around 1-4 ( around 2 ) points per session. One automatically, one for good RP and so on. ( oh yeah, we dont use xp, they just level as appropriate to story)

So i ask you for suggestions, what to do with points, and general idea of pricing those powers, especially raise dead that i mentioned.

They are also little behind on WBL so i don't mind giving them a little boost.

Thanks

Hm we use a fate point system with which you can "buy" various things:
-Skill boosts
-Saving throw boosts
-Rerolls (reroll must be higher then original roll)
etc, no spells though

You roll xd6 and subtract it from your fatepoints.
x depends on the what you want to do and in case of a boost on how high the boost is.

Points can be given by other players in a 2:1 ratio

You can go below zero (if you are not in the negatives already) though this has some consequences the dm may use your negative fatepoints for his own though not for random mook xy only for "named" enemies your fatepoints are reseted to zero after that use.

You get fatepoints for outstanding heroics, rping, solving a puzzles and after a completed quest (sometimes)

/edit for the exact numbers I would need to check sadly the paper is at a friend where we play dnd ^^ though I think in mot cases you get around 25 fatepoints and a reroll costs 5d6 a skillboost between 2d6 and 5d6 just to get a rough idea.