PDA

View Full Version : compare Pathfinder to D&D

JeenLeen
2010-03-01, 03:15 PM
A friend of mine asked me if I'd run a Pathfinder game if he bought the book. I found a bit of info by the 'search' function here and the online srd, and it seems to be almost the same as D&D 3.5, but not enough to clearly know if Pathfinder is something I'd be interested in. (I've taken more to the White Wolf storyteller system than d20 of late.)

Is it a modified D&D 3.5?
Can anyone point out any key differences or areas of revision?
Is Pathfinder any more 'balanced' than D&D?

hamishspence
2010-03-01, 03:17 PM
It is a modified 3.5.

From what I've heard, it isn't any more balanced- casters still overshadow melee classes as much as, or more than, in 3.5.

Frosty
2010-03-01, 03:18 PM
If you run it, the feel will be almost exactly the same as DnD 3.5. It has a lot of good balance fixes, and some that aren't so good. It doesn't fix a lot of spells that are problematic. All in all, better than 3.5 core but it's not the holy grail or anything.

Gnaeus
2010-03-01, 03:19 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127797

Saph already did the heavy lifting on this question.

Greenish
2010-03-01, 03:20 PM
Is it a modified D&D 3.5?Yes.

Can anyone point out any key differences or areas of revision?Classes tweaked to have more features thorough levels, supports single classed over multiple PrCs, polymorph stuff nerfed to playable levels, all stuff in few books instead of million splatbooks. Paladins, sorcerers and rangers made a lot less sucky.
Is Pathfinder any more 'balanced' than D&D?The differences between many classes are slightly smaller. Casters still trump all.

[Edit]: Since I've been ninjaed by better answers (go check out Saph's post, seriously), I'd like to "contribute" by noting that PF paladins are great, and PF gnome sorcerers can flex their hands to use touch spells to 10ft. (Other races could do it too, but gnomes are better.)

Ravens_cry
2010-03-01, 03:22 PM
That been said, I don't mind that. The whole overshadow thing is overrated in my experience. Paladins and sorcerers got a good boost, and the sorcerer blood lines look both flavourful and powerful. I enjoy it.