PDA

View Full Version : Good Sci-Fi system

CosmicSol
2010-03-01, 10:18 PM
This summer I'm planning to run two campaigns, one High Fantasy and the other Sci-Fi. I'm using 3.5 for the High Fantasy one, but I can't for the life of me find a good system for a Sci-Fi campaign. Any recommendations?

DabblerWizard
2010-03-01, 10:42 PM
Star wars RPG?... Just try to buy the books before WOTC officially cuts its funding.

BobVosh
2010-03-01, 10:47 PM
SWD20 is nice. Alternity is great as you can customize the techlevel, includes psionics you can throw in and out, and is a fairly easy system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternity

Knaight
2010-03-01, 11:28 PM
Diaspora, assuming you want hard science fiction. Its a lightweight system, but it works beautifully as it is intended. For something without the restrictions, take a step back in genericnes to Fate, and then Fudge. Otherwise investigate the Cortex system. All these but Diaspora work well for soft sci-fi as well.

The Big Dice
2010-03-01, 11:31 PM
Traveller has been reissued and updated a little.

But knowing what kind of scifi you want to run would help a little. There's quite a few different sstems and settings out there.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-03-02, 12:06 AM
What would be a good sci-fi system if you wanted to run a game with multiple different races? Ideally, a system that would allow the creation of custom species as possible player character choices...

Tough_Tonka
2010-03-02, 12:29 AM
For any type of Sci-Fi game: GURPS

Want the rules to be like DnD: Starwars D20, or True d20, maybe d20 modern.

Want a list of fake chinese cussing words: Serenity

Dexam
2010-03-02, 12:40 AM
If you're after some "hard science transhuman future" sci-fi: Eclipse Phase (http://www.eclipsephase.com/)

There's a downloadable "Quick Rules" PDF on the site if you're looking for something for a "try before I buy" and don't want to get the full core rules book/PDF (yet).

hamlet
2010-03-02, 08:23 AM
What would be a good sci-fi system if you wanted to run a game with multiple different races? Ideally, a system that would allow the creation of custom species as possible player character choices...

Alternity.

The system does EVERYTHING. You just have to get past a front loaded learning curve, then everything's smooth sailing.

Kurald Galain
2010-03-02, 08:30 AM
Alternity.
I'd say anything except that. It's essentially D&D In Space (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RecycledInSpace), and there is a reason why it never caught on. Both character generation and task resolution are extremely klunky mechanics that are overly complex with no reason.

Heck, Cyberpunk 2020 does a much better job at scifi, and it wasn't even written for it.

Blackfang108
2010-03-02, 09:27 AM
I'd say anything except that. It's essentially D&D In Space (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RecycledInSpace), and there is a reason why it never caught on.

Because Wizards pulled it's funding shortly after it was released?

Yuki Akuma
2010-03-02, 09:32 AM
Because Wizards pulled it's funding shortly after it was released?

There's a reason Wizards pulled its funding shortly after it was released.

They're not stupid. If something sells, they'll fund it.

Blackfang108
2010-03-02, 09:42 AM
There's a reason Wizards pulled its funding shortly after it was released.

They're not stupid. If something sells, they'll fund it.

IIRC, (and it's been a while, so I could easily be wrong), the stated reason for ending Alternity was "it competes with D&D," not "its sales are weak." Wiki was unhelpful on this matter. (Did one of the WotC Star Wars RPGs start around the time they cut Alternity?)

Anyway, personally, I'd probably recommend Serenity for Scifi, depending on what type of SciFi you want to play. as others have said, we need more information to be of more help.

eepop
2010-03-02, 10:29 AM
I am a fan of Alpha Omega. There aren't a whole lot of books for it, but its a really interesting system and a nice change of pace from D&D.

Satyr
2010-03-02, 10:37 AM
The old Star Wars d6 rules are so much superior to any of the D20 varieties of the same setting, it's not even funny. Fortunately, the system existed on, even without the setting licence, as Space D6. It's a fun system.

Gurps is always worth a try, and in roundabout 90% of the cases, repalcing any given system with Gurps leads to a significant improvement of the game at hand. Besides, it has the advantage that the best Science Fiction setting I have ever seen was written for Gurps, Transhuman Space.

Do you look for a more generic system for your own setting, or do you look for a good SF settingand system combination? For the first part, the two systems mentioned above are your best choice. If you are looking for a setting, you could also consider Burning Empires, based on the Burning Wheels RPG and a game which won an origin award. It's pretty good, as far as I can tell.

Kurald Galain
2010-03-02, 10:40 AM
Anyway, personally, I'd probably recommend Serenity for Scifi, depending on what type of SciFi you want to play. as others have said, we need more information to be of more help.

I concur, both with Serenity and with the need for more info.

Yuki Akuma
2010-03-02, 10:48 AM
Also, I recommend GURPS, due to high flexibility and nano-wire whips.

Most impractical weapon ever.

qcontinuum
2010-03-02, 10:58 AM
Star Wars Saga Edition is one of the best RPG systems I've ever played. Its also set up such that you could pretty easily strip out or reskin all of the Star Wars-specific stuff (no more Jedi/Sith, Force Points become "Action Points", etc...). Plus you only really need one book to run the system; the rest are just nice to have.

That said, it'd probably be best for soft, combat-heavy, heroic/cinematic sci-fi (eg. Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate), rather than a hard or gritty setting.

Indon
2010-03-02, 11:04 AM
Mutants and Masterminds is fairly good for Sci-Fi, for much the reason GURPS is (i.e. it's really versatile with fairly freeform chargen), and it's D20ish.

Blackfang108
2010-03-02, 12:23 PM
Also, I recommend GURPS, due to high flexibility and nano-wire whips.

Most impractical weapon ever.

Would this be something like the guys ring in Johnny Mnemonic?

clockworkmonk
2010-03-02, 12:26 PM
If people are suggesting Serenity, that uses the Savage Worlds system, which I happen to really enjoy.

edit: apparently thats not true, I'm just remembering things in an odd way.

Zeta Kai
2010-03-02, 12:34 PM

That's the one. And note that he was killed with his own monofilament wire. There's a reason why you don't bring a grenade to a knife fight.

Artanis
2010-03-02, 12:39 PM
I'd suggest taking a look at Heavy Gear (http://www.dp9.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49&Itemid=54). It uses a system that can be used equally well for a "traditional" RPG, a tabletop wargame, or anything in between. If you want your players to be fighting in, with, or against vehicles at some point, Heavy Gear is the system for you.

fusilier
2010-03-02, 01:40 PM
The old Star Wars d6 rules are so much superior to any of the D20 varieties of the same setting, it's not even funny. Fortunately, the system existed on, even without the setting licence, as Space D6. It's a fun system.

I would second this. It's been years since I've played it, but it was an awesome system. Typically more cinematic than GURPS I would say, but easy to learn and fun to play.

Gurps is always worth a try, and in roundabout 90% of the cases, repalcing any given system with Gurps leads to a significant improvement of the game at hand. Besides, it has the advantage that the best Science Fiction setting I have ever seen was written for Gurps, Transhuman Space.

If you are looking to build custom races, this is possible in GURPS (I've never done it myself though, so I can't comment on how easy it is). GURPS is good for realistic settings, but can also be used for cinematic campaigns. I'm not sure about the D6 system, but it probably has straightforward rules for making races.

Yuki Akuma
2010-03-02, 01:42 PM

Yes.

They also have nano-wire swords, which are slightly less likely to kill you if you fumble, but God help you if the battery dies.

Blackfang108
2010-03-02, 01:46 PM
I would second this. It's been years since I've played it, but it was an awesome system. Typically more cinematic than GURPS I would say, but easy to learn and fun to play.

I forgot about that system.

Sad, as it was my first P&P RPG, back in Junior High. it was a blast.

Literally so, at times. We were destructive.

Delwugor
2010-03-02, 02:12 PM
For d20 cinematic/space opera style I'd recommend True20 with the possible addition of the Reigns of Discordia supplements. SWSE without the Force would be a good system but I found that it was the Force and Jedi which added the cinematic feel.
For a space opera non d20 style I'd look at Starblazer Adventures. Haven't played it myself but have heard lots of good things about it.
For a more gritty d20 style then d20 Future is the obvious choice.
For a very gritty non-d20 style then Gurps or Diaspora are good choices.

Thane of Fife
2010-03-02, 02:32 PM
While I can't actually speak for its quality, I find Icar (http://www.icar.co.uk/) so beautiful that I want to play it.

And it's free. That's always nice.

Malfunctioned
2010-03-02, 06:11 PM
I actually cannot recommend Traveller enough, I bought it to play with my group and out of D&D, M&M, NWoD and it they preffered Traveller by far.

Raum
2010-03-02, 06:54 PM
The old Star Wars d6 rules are so much superior to any of the D20 varieties of the same setting, it's not even funny. Fortunately, the system existed on, even without the setting licence, as Space D6. It's a fun system.Yes, this!

@the OP: Depending on what you're looking for in a game you may also consider Shadowrun, Wild Talents, Savage Worlds, or many of the other games mentioned.

What do you want out of the system as opposed to the setting? When it comes to setting, do you want anything other than a variety of alien races? Are you looking for an existing setting or thinking of building your own?

sambo.
2010-03-02, 08:17 PM
Paranoia?

failing that, GURPS and Traveller have always been pretty good sci-fi platforms.

Katana_Geldar
2010-03-02, 08:18 PM
Star Wars Saga, not the original d20. It's a good solid system that is very adaptable to the sort of game you want to play.

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-02, 11:39 PM

If you are looking to build custom races, this is possible in GURPS (I've never done it myself though, so I can't comment on how easy it is). GURPS is good for realistic settings, but can also be used for cinematic campaigns. I'm not sure about the D6 system, but it probably has straightforward rules for making races.

EXTREMELY EASY. seriously. If you can build a character, you can build a race. Just put some advantages together w/ some stats and presto! You have a race. I recommend restricting some supernatural / super abilities to races to make them more flavorful and attractive.

Tetsubo 57
2010-03-03, 09:11 AM
Star Wars D20, Wars or Dawningstar Rising are all goof D20 based options. An oler game that I think works well is Gamma World 4th edition (1992). And you can't lose with Savage Worlds.

Volkov
2010-03-03, 10:05 AM
Dark heresy, why you ask? Because Warhammer 40k is that fugging awesome.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-03, 10:32 AM
Dark heresy, why you ask? Because Warhammer 40k is that fugging awesome.

Ya dark heresy's system i heard was hit or miss about people liking it.