PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Question about items

Goonthegoof
2010-03-01, 10:32 PM
Is there any way to get the effects of both a cloak of charisma and a cloak of resistance? I think I've heard of ways of transferring powers from different types of items, but I'm not sure. Any info?

Signmaker
2010-03-01, 10:36 PM
MiC stacking rules allow doing so without any cost multiplier. Specifically, you'd have a Cloak of Resistance +X (+Y Charisma), or vice versa IIRC (resistance might be a stackable option for cloaks).

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-03-01, 10:37 PM
The Magic Item Compendium has rules for combining effects of magic items, I can't remember where exactly right now....

Ninja'd. And with a more complete answer.

Goonthegoof
2010-03-01, 10:43 PM
Thanks a heap. Anyone know if its possible to get the same effect on a different item?

lsfreak
2010-03-01, 10:50 PM
A few. Off the top of my head, resistance can also go on the chest/shirt slot, and charisma to head. I also let my players to make pants of charisma (taking either foot or belt slot), because it's too funny not to allow.

BenTheJester
2010-03-01, 11:16 PM
There's the Vest of Resistance, which costs just as much and takes the "Shirt" slot

Goonthegoof
2010-03-01, 11:55 PM
Does shirt stack with torso armour or do they both take the same slot?

Saintheart
2010-03-02, 12:00 AM
No, torso slot's distinct from the body slot, so you can wear the Vest of Resistance and Armour of Incredibly Awesome Massive Bonus Scores together.

Dr Bwaa
2010-03-02, 12:14 AM
No, torso slot's distinct from the body slot, so you can wear the Vest of Resistance and Armour of Incredibly Awesome Massive Bonus Scores together.

Lol. Nice.

Also, I believe it is possible to get bonuses on nontraditional body slots (boots of wisdom), for like 1.5x or 2x the price. The MIC (right before all the wonderful tables, iirc) has a bunch of great rules for this.

Goonthegoof
2010-03-02, 04:32 AM
Searching through the MIC, but I can't find them. Do you know what page(s) the rules are on?

magic9mushroom
2010-03-02, 04:50 AM
Searching through the MIC, but I can't find them. Do you know what page(s) the rules are on?

He might be referring to the DMG rules. Which are in the Magic Item Creation section.

Basically, x1.5 for weird body slot, x2 for no body slot (like Ioun Stones).

Goonthegoof
2010-03-02, 04:51 AM
Thankee kindly good sir.

JaronK
2010-03-02, 04:54 AM
There are MIC rules, they're near the back of the book. It says that there's a 1.5X multiplier on added effects.

JaronK

Superglucose
2010-03-02, 05:06 AM
Is there any way to get the effects of both a cloak of charisma and a cloak of resistance? I think I've heard of ways of transferring powers from different types of items, but I'm not sure. Any info?

Magic Item Compendium has rules which have no added cost.

SRD: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm)

Multiple Similar Abilities

For items with multiple similar abilities that don’t take up space on a character’s body use the following formula: Calculate the price of the single most costly ability, then add 75% of the value of the next most costly ability, plus one-half the value of any other abilities.

Multiple Different Abilities

Abilities such as an attack roll bonus or saving throw bonus and a spell-like function are not similar, and their values are simply added together to determine the cost. For items that do take up a space on a character’s body each additional power not only has no discount but instead has a 50% increase in price.
So it's the cost of either the Resistance or Charisma and 150% the cost of the other enchantment. Personally I prefer this rule to the MiC because it encourages players to make tough choices. I don't really like players having the ability to have everything. Personal preference though, it's neither better nor worse (and WBL helps this to a degree)

Goonthegoof
2010-03-02, 05:28 AM
So according to the MIC I can add a periapt of wisdom +6 and an amulet of health +6 for 72,000 and according to the SRD it's 90,000?

Irreverent Fool
2010-03-03, 05:17 AM
So according to the MIC I can add a periapt of wisdom +6 and an amulet of health +6 for 72,000 and according to the SRD it's 90,000?

Edited:
According to table 6-11 on page 234 of the Magic Item Compendium, when adding common item effects, Constitution bonuses may be placed commonly on the Throat, Torso, or Waist and Wisdom bonuses may be placed commonly on the Head or Throat.

The text says that the total cost is only the total normal cost of both items individually so yes. You can buy a amulet of health +6 (36,000g) and add wisdom +6 to it (36,000g) to create an Amulet of Health and Wisdom +6 (72,000g).

Basically: as long as you've the time, gold, and a character willing to spend the time and XP in exchange for the gold, you can stack items on top of each other until you reach the cost threshold (which escapes me at the moment). The MiC rules were designed to overrule the SRD and make this sort of stuff less of a headache and more accessible.

obnoxious
sig

Person_Man
2010-03-03, 10:11 AM
Empyreal armor or shield enhancement: You can transfer your enhancement bonus to AC to be a sacred bonus to Saves. Although adding this to a +5 animated shield to get a bonus to your Saves would be twice as expensive as a Cloak of Resistance, it’s noteworthy in that the bonuses stack. With up to +10 to your Saves and the bonuses from class levels and your ability scores, all you need is a Ring of Evasion, and you should pretty much be set in the Saving Throw department. Book of Exalted Deeds pg 112.