PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Acolyte of the Devourer (PEACH)

Geiger Counter
2010-03-01, 11:22 PM
(Man this forum needs to allow my to import tables directly from word.)
With some help from dok

ACOLYTE OF THE DEVOURER

Hit Die: d4.

Requirements

To qualify to become an acolyte, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Alignment: Any evil.

Feats: Craft wondrous item.

Spells: Ability to cast either trap the soul and/or soul bind. Must have successfully used either ability against a creature with a good alignment.

Class Skills

The acolyte’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (alchemy) (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int) and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Table: The Acolyte of the Devourer
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|
Amulet of the Devourer, Soul Pool

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|
Target Hostage

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|
Interrogate Hostage,Emulate Hostage[/table]

Class Features

All the following are Class Features of the acolyte prestige class.

Spells and Caster Level: Levels in the Acfolyte prestige class, even though they do not advance spell progression in the character’s base class, still stack with the character’s base spellcasting levels to determine caster level.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Acolytes gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Amulet of the Devourer: Acolytes craft a chain necklace attached to a socket which can hold a gem from a successful use of either trap the soul or soul bind. It costs 1,000 GP to make. Placing a soul gem in the amulet, or removing one, is a standard action that provokes an Attack of Opportunity. The Soul Gem cannot be targeted when inside the amulet; a Soul Gem can be removed from the amulet on a successful disarm attempt. The Amulet’s powers are drawn from the acolyte herself, it does not grant any powers to any creature wearing the amulet other than the Acolyte.

Soul Pool: At the first level, An Acolyte of the Devourer can choose to expend a charge from her amulet's gem instead of a spell slot when casting the following spells: Confusion, Control Undead, Ghoul Touch, Lesser Planar Ally, Ray of Enfeeblement, Spectral Hand, Suggestion, and True Seeing. The Acolyte must be able to cast these spells normally in order to use this ability.

An amulet has a number of charges equal to 5 times the hit dice of a captured soul; every 5 charges used causes the captured soul to take one negative level. If the creature dies due to these negative levels, it is destroyed and the gem holding it shatters.

Target Hostage: At the second level, when the acolyte is wearing an amulet with a gem with at least one charge left she is granted immunity to chaos hammer, crushing despair, dominate person, fear, geas/quest, holy word*, hypnosis, magic jar, maze, suggestion, energy drain, magical based ability loss/damage and all forms of Charms or Compulsions, as long as the amulet has at least 1 charge.

*If the wearer is ever targeted by banishment, dispel evil, imprisonment, or trap the soul, they are unaffected, but the amulet loses all charges. If the wearer has the (extraplanar) subtype, and would be removed from the plane he is currently on due to a holy word spell, instead, the amulet loses all charges. If the amulet had no charges when these spells were cast, the wearer is affected normally.

*If the wearer is targeted by a magic jar effect, the caster is instead trapped in the soul gem powering the amulet, and the captured soul is shifted to their "jar". (though they may return to their jar with a standard action, returning the captured soul to the amulet) If the amulet has no charges, the wearer is affected normally.

Interrogate Hostage: At the third level, provided the gem in the amulet has at least one charge left, and the Acolyte has the ability to cast the spell detect thoughts the Acolyte has access to all the knowledge of the creature trapped within the gem. The Acolyte can merely think of a question and the creature in the amulet will provide the answer if they know it. The creature cannot lie, however if they are misinformed they will produce incorrect information. Using this ability is instantaneous, just as if you were accessing your own memories and does not require the actual casting of detect thoughts. You can also use this ability to force the creature trapped inside to make a knowledge check or something similar, but normally you don't otherwise benefit from the trapped creature's skills.

Emulate Hostage: At the third level, provided the gem in the amulet has at least one charge left, and the Acolyte has the ability to cast any spell which would allow her to take the form of the creature trapped in the gem, than she can do so flawlessly. She succeeds any disguise check to emulate the creature within the gem. This does not change the parameters of the spell, for example: If the creature in the gem in the amulet is an angel, and you try to emulate it via a disguise self spell, you do not gain the ability to fly.

Ex Acolytes: An acolyte who ceases to be evil looses all his powers as an acolyte until he returns to evil.

Dracomortis
2010-03-01, 11:33 PM
A wild table appears! Table used Formatting! It's super effective!

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|
Amulet of the Devourer, Soul Pool

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|
Target Hostage

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|
Interrogate Hostage,Emulate Hostage[/table]

DracoDei
2010-03-01, 11:33 PM
The directions for how to do tables can be found by clicking on the sticky thread at the top of the homebrew forum, and then clicking "Guide to Homebrewing".

I would price the gem at the same as needed for Soul Bind... 1,000 GP per HD I believe.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-01, 11:36 PM
I would price the gem at the same as needed for Soul Bind... 1,000 GP per HD I believe.

I know that, what I meant is the creation of a chained amulet with a socket to hold such gems.

DracoDei
2010-03-01, 11:48 PM
Oh... it generally isn't good to charge more than a token amount for class features like that... maybe 1,000 gp if they can only have one...

EDIT: I would strongly consider giving caster level progression at 2nd and/or 3rd level. Caster levels are very powerful, and what you have here isn't really enough to be worth giving up 3. This is perfectly appropriate, just gotta give a caster level or two (NOT at first level).

Geiger Counter
2010-03-02, 06:43 PM
Oh... it generally isn't good to charge more than a token amount for class features like that... maybe 1,000 gp if they can only have one...

Done

EDIT: I would strongly consider giving caster level progression at 2nd and/or 3rd level. Caster levels are very powerful, and what you have here isn't really enough to be worth giving up 3. This is perfectly appropriate, just gotta give a caster level or two (NOT at first level).

They can just take practiced spellcaster, complete Arcane.

Gensh
2010-03-02, 08:24 PM
They can just take practiced spellcaster, complete Arcane.

That's not what Practiced Spellcaster does. It only raises caster level which, helps beat spell resistance, increases the effect of certain spells, etc. It DOESN'T grant additional spells or spell levels. Also, it seems a little petty to expect a character to take a certain feat when they shouldn't have to, but with the current wording of the class, I don't know whether or not the lost levels are appropriate. Could you be a bit more clear about the charges, please?

Geiger Counter
2010-03-02, 09:52 PM
Also, it seems a little petty to expect a character to take a certain feat when they shouldn't have to

fine

That's not what Practiced Spellcaster does. It only raises caster level which, helps beat spell resistance, increases the effect of certain spells, etc. It DOESN'T grant additional spells or spell levels.

It is an extremely powerful PrC, It grants potently tons of extra spells per day, tons of immunities and the ability to gain all the knowledge of any creature you catch.

but with the current wording of the class, I don't know whether or not the lost levels are appropriate. Could you be a bit more clear about the charges, please?

Basically when you trap a creature in a gem via soul bind or trap the soul, you get 5 times their HD in charges. You can spend these charges as if they were spells per day one specific spells (Confusion, Control Undead, Ghoul Touch, Lesser Planar Ally, Ray of Enfeeblement, Spectral Hand, Suggestion and True Seeing). Since the soonest you can take this PrC is level 17 it is pretty easy to trap a creature with 15 HD (75 charges).

Also I just added that target hostage protects you from energy drain.

Siosilvar
2010-03-02, 10:00 PM
Just rephrasing, don't mind me.

Soul Pool: An Acolyte of the Devourer can choose to expend a charge from her amulet's gem instead of a spell slot when casting the following spells: Confusion, Control Undead, Ghoul Touch, Lesser Planar Ally, Ray of Enfeeblement, Spectral Hand, Suggestion, and True Seeing. The Acolyte must be able to cast these spells normally in order to use this ability.

An amulet has a number of charges equal to 5 times the hit dice of a captured soul; every 5 charges used causes the captured soul to take one negative level. If the creature dies due to these negative levels, it is destroyed and the gem holding it shatters.

DracoDei
2010-03-02, 10:20 PM
Trap the Soul is only 8th level, thus you can enter this class as early as 15th caster level.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-02, 10:27 PM
Trap the Soul is only 8th level, thus you can enter this class as early as 15th caster level.

didn't notice wizards get their spells earlier, yet another reason why wizzards are unnecessarily better than sorcerers (more skill points, free bonus feats, can potentially learn every spell). I try to fix this by giving sorcerers the feats, they can use Cha bonus for their will saves and 3+their level in free skillpoints for use magic device.

But you mean 16th caster level, this PrC requires you to successfully use trap the soul against a good creature.