PDA

View Full Version : Stirring potions together

Thursday
2010-03-01, 11:38 PM
Begging your indulgence, as I don't really know much DnD, so this is probably straightforward, but something I was wondering... (and seemingly unresolved by searching, anyway)

What happens if you mix potions together?..
Possible results range from Kaboom to a bigger, better single potion thats much quicker to drink?... is this possible? Flat out not allowed?

Possible shenanigans regarding spiking potions with holy water and passing to evil characters?.. adding unexpected transmutation effects to your healing stash? Annoying the appendages off everyone in sight or (literal) awesomesauce?

Best/evillest combinations?

Whats the deal?

Beelzebub1111
2010-03-01, 11:41 PM
They had a table in 2nd edition for what happens when you mix potions. Usually it was an explosion or canceling eachother out or both simply taking effect.. There was a 1 percent chance of one of the potions becoming permanent. It almost happened (01 and needed a 00) with a potion of Cloud Giant Strength, and a potion of Haste

This rule also included when you mixed them together in your own stomach.

Fiery Diamond
2010-03-01, 11:43 PM
Well, I don't believe that any of the rulebooks ever even consider this possibility. (I could be wrong.) My inclination would be to say that it would default to being not allowed (spoil the potions, create a non-damaging explosion, etc.). However, it seems like a really cool idea and if one of my players tried it I'd let them get away with it -- at the expense of having to have a double-sized dose, since in order to be effective it needs to contain a full dose of each. I'd probably have it have the benefits of both potions.

Edit: I only know 3.5

Kylarra
2010-03-01, 11:47 PM
They had a table in 2nd edition for what happens when you mix potions. Usually it was an explosion or canceling eachother out or both simply taking effect.. There was a 1 percent chance of one of the potions becoming permanent. It almost happened (01 and needed a 00) with a potion of Cloud Giant Strength, and a potion of Haste

This rule also included when you mixed them together in your own stomach.I loved that chart. I still use it for fun.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-01, 11:49 PM
you want the alchemist savant, magic of eberron.

ApatheticDespot
2010-03-02, 12:00 AM

This rule also included when you mixed them together in your own stomach.

I remember reading an updated 3.5 version of that table on the WotC website once, though I don't know where to find it now.

desmond1323
2010-03-02, 12:09 AM
So ridiculously freaky that this question got brought up at my last game.

We mostly figured that since it was a double dose, it would still take two standard actions to drink.

Still a very cool idea that I'm thinking of homebrewing around to actually working, provided there's not actually a rule for it.

Deth Muncher
2010-03-02, 12:10 AM
Go search the WotC 3.5 Archives. There's a table/article there for you.

Greenish
2010-03-02, 12:14 AM
Go search the WotC 3.5 Archives. There's a table/article there for you.April fools. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060401b)

Thursday
2010-03-02, 07:05 PM
April fools. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060401b)

Heh, still answers the question pretty well though, Thx.

Irreverent Fool
2010-03-02, 07:53 PM
It's the first result on a google search of 'potion miscibility'!

Mind you, in the old days this stuff happened if you drank more than one potion at a time.

Ah, the good(bad) ol' days.

obnoxious
sig

sambo.
2010-03-02, 08:21 PM
hehe, I still use the Potion Miscibility table from the 1ed days of yore for laughs.

had a couple of explosions, never had one go permanent.

ericgrau
2010-03-02, 09:16 PM
Oh ya, if you wanna have a hoot with it then look up the 1e/2e miscibility tables. Otherwise in 3.5e you can never be affected by more than 1 potion at once and it is always a standard action to use one regardless of the method.

rayne_dragon
2010-03-02, 10:00 PM
I know my DM would bring out that chart if anyone ever mixed potions together in our 4e game. Gotta love those old charts. :smallbiggrin:

Apropos
2010-03-02, 10:10 PM
So ridiculously freaky that this question got brought up at my last game.

We mostly figured that since it was a double dose, it would still take two standard actions to drink.

Still a very cool idea that I'm thinking of homebrewing around to actually working, provided there's not actually a rule for it.

You do realize that potions only take a move action, right?

elonin
2010-03-02, 10:16 PM
Thought that in 3e mixing 2 potions makes them simply not work. But I do love the chart from 2e.

Beorn080
2010-03-02, 10:16 PM
If you get a funnel and a tube made out of sheep intestine, would that increase chugging speed?

Irreverent Fool
2010-03-03, 03:41 AM
You do realize that potions only take a move action, right?

You must be talking about 4e. In 3.5 it's a standard action and of course a move action to retrieve the potion (unless you go running into combat with a bottle in one hand or one of those beer hats on).

obnoxious
sig

Thursday
2010-03-03, 06:23 PM
Think I got the chart, Awesome... Thanks Guys
Some nice effects there, I'm going to hope for uncontrolled healing..

I'm actually doing D20 modern
(have a character going sort based on the Great naturalists and Stephen Maturin from the Master and Commander books.. but with mage levels (or whatever its called in a D20) Very absent minded scientist and I think this is something he would probably do)
-but whatever the actual rules in that system say (?) I'm going to see if I can use this.

ArcanistSupreme
2010-03-03, 07:37 PM
Is it worth the predicted 150,000gp cost to mix 100 sets of haste potions to get a permanent haste effect?

noiadodh
2010-03-03, 07:40 PM
Is it worth the predicted 150,000gp cost to mix 100 sets of haste potions to get a permanent haste effect?

lol just roll a swiftblade ps: ofc i know ur joking

Jack_Simth
2010-03-03, 08:37 PM
Potentially. Of course, with that 100 mixings, you've still got a roughly 37% chance of NOT getting that double ought. Then again, you've also got about a 40% chance of getting that double ought by the 50 mix mark.

You might want to check out a permanent Mage Armor, Protection from Evil, or Lesser Vigor, though - doing that with 1st level spells has a predicted 10,000 gp cost associated with it (compare to Bracers of Armor +4 at 16k). And the accidents are much less dangerous.

Edit: Hmm... what other 1st level spells are particularly useful if they're forever?
Remove Fear, Undetectable Alignment (Bard)
Protection from Alignment, of course - mostly for the mental protection.
Enlarge Person / Reduce Person (for the right builds)
Delay Poison (Ranger)
Resist Energy (Ranger, although you'll want to put the money in for a higher caster level)
Jump
Pass Without Trace
Bless
Shield of Faith (although you'll want to put the money in for a higher caster level)
Hmm...