PDA

View Full Version : The Continuum

Krade
2010-03-01, 11:54 PM
The Continuum (www.thecontinuum.com)

I'm a little fuzzy on the details of this (been 2 1/2 years since I played a demo at GenCon), but I remember that it looked cool and didn't have to cost money.

It's basically a video game version of tabletop miniatures, except all of your pieces level up. You start with a basic set and it's free to play, but you have to pay for new/different units.

I bring this up because last night I figured I might finally give it a try.

So... Thoughts?

Milskidasith
2010-03-02, 12:06 AM
Sounds like a strategy game with the strategy buried beneath pointless grinding and a "pay for power" microtransaction strategy.

I.E. it's never going to be big, probably won't have a decent competitive base, won't have a decent casual base because they will get stomped by people who pay to do well, and probably isn't fun.

Krade
2010-03-02, 12:12 AM
From what I remember, if you "pay for power" you will mostly only ever play with other people who did too.

Apparently there's some kind of matchmaking filter that will only put you up with people around your power range. Since your army's power can be quantified, it shouldn't be too hard to find people who can fight on a level playing field.

Of course, I haven't actually played yet, so I don't know how well it works.

Milskidasith
2010-03-02, 01:13 AM
From what I remember, if you "pay for power" you will mostly only ever play with other people who did too.

Apparently there's some kind of matchmaking filter that will only put you up with people around your power range. Since your army's power can be quantified, it shouldn't be too hard to find people who can fight on a level playing field.

Of course, I haven't actually played yet, so I don't know how well it works.

An army's power being quantified relies on the ability of the game devs to judge balance.

Game devs are notoriously terrible at such things.

Krade
2010-03-02, 03:40 AM
Well then I suppose I'm just gonna have to play some and find out:smalltongue: