PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Kobold Oracle

Adonis1x23
2010-03-02, 12:00 AM
I've been working on a character concept for an upcoming game and was wondering if you would all be so kind as to give suggestions to improve it.

After reading OotS, I've really wanted to play a kobold, especially a kobold oracle. That is the premise, in a nut shell. Aside from divination, I wanted to have him focus on buffing/healing. Here is what I have so far:

Lawful Good, Venerable, Earth Kobold(UA)

3 Cloistered Cleric/3 Church Inquisitor(cd)/4 Divine Oracle(cd)/6 Contemplative/4 Paragnostic Apostle(cc)

Attributes(32 point buy, with racial and age adjustments)
Wis 20 (+3)
Con 12(-2)
Cha 16(+3)
Str 12(-2)6
Int 12(+3)
Dex 9

Domains
Time (chosen)(Improved Initiative)
Planning (chosen)(Extend Spell)
Knowledge (cc) (Tons of stuff)
Inquistion (ci)(+4 Dispel)
Oracle (do) (+2 Divination)
Travel (con) (Freedom of Movement and awesome spells)
Fate (con) (Uncanny dodge, which stacks with DO for Improved)

Feats
1st Dreadwrought (Amethyst aspect, for +2 diplomacy) (RotD)-kind of cheesy, but I am only using it to gain venerable age.
Flaw: Persistent Spell (CAr)
Flaw: Skill Focus(Knowledge Religion): for Divine Oracle
3rd Divine Metamagic (CD)
6th Spontaneous Domains (CC)
9th Knowledge Devotion (CC) or Extra Turning
12th Knowledge Devotion or Extra Turning
15th ?
18th ?

Most of this was assembled from what I gleaned from here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.0).
Undead will not be a major part of the campaign, so most of my turn attempts will be used for Divine Metamagic. Obviously, I will invest in Divine Power to compensate for physical inadequacies.

So is there anything glaringly stupid about what I have so far? What about feats? Also, do the bonuses to divination spells from Cloistered Cleric and Oracle Domain stack?

Edit1: Swaped DMM and Persistent spell so they would actually work.
Edit2: Fixed spelling, fixed dragon choice.
Edit3: Adjusted classes and domains.

Kosjsjach
2010-03-02, 12:10 AM
At a glance, a Jungle kobold (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#jungleKobolds) might suit your character better, as they don't take a Con hit and I don't imagine you'll be crafting many traps. The Int hit is offset by Venerable Dragonwrought.

I'm AFB, but I don't see anything immediately wrong with your build. Good luck; as you might've surmised, I'm a bit of a fan of kobold PCs. :smallsmile:

Adonis1x23
2010-03-02, 12:15 AM
Thanks. Do you have any suggestions as far as feats go?

Kosjsjach
2010-03-02, 12:42 AM
Like I said, I'm Away From Books, so I can't help as much as I'd like. Off the top of my head, you could try getting the variant kobold racial traits (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) from the Races of the Dragon Web Enhancement; it gives you minor natural weapons, an effective +4 bonus to Hide, and some weapon proficiencies and familiarities. Nothing that really contributes to your concept, but good nonetheless.

One other thing to run by your DM is the Draconic Rite of Passage (I don't remember what page of Races of the Dragon it's on); basically, for the cost of a 100gp gemstone, a Concentration check, and a permanent loss of 1hp, you get a 1/day 1st-level Sorcerer spell that you cast at your character level. One of my favorites is Benign Transposition from the Spell Compendium.

I'm sorry all of my advice is kobold-specific and not all-knowing-oracle-related. Good luck!

magic9mushroom
2010-03-02, 12:59 AM
You can't take Platinum for Dragonwrought unless you're a Dragonborn. OTOH, since you're LG, you might as well be one.

EDIT: Hmm, no, I'm not sure that works either, because you apply Dragonborn after you create the character via the Rite of Rebirth. RotD is vague.

EDIT 2: Also, you have to take DMM after the feat it's affecting. So getting Persistent Spell after it doesn't seem very smart.

Adonis1x23
2010-03-02, 01:34 AM
You can't take Platinum for Dragonwrought unless you're a Dragonborn. OTOH, since you're LG, you might as well be one.

EDIT: Hmm, no, I'm not sure that works either, because you apply Dragonborn after you create the character via the Rite of Rebirth. RotD is vague.

EDIT 2: Also, you have to take DMM after the feat it's affecting. So getting Persistent Spell after it doesn't seem very smart.

Oh, you're right about DMM! My mistake, I must have over looked it.

Why can't you choose Platinum for Dragonwrought? It just says you pick a dragon from the given table, and you need to be a Metallic dragon to take advantage of the longer lifespan.

magic9mushroom
2010-03-02, 02:12 AM
Oh, you're right about DMM! My mistake, I must have over looked it.

Why can't you choose Platinum for Dragonwrought? It just says you pick a dragon from the given table, and you need to be a Metallic dragon to take advantage of the longer lifespan.

Because of the note at the end.

Didn't you notice the superscript?

Koury
2010-03-02, 02:21 AM
I'm a bit of a fan of kobold PCs.

:smallconfused: A what now? This thread is clearly about Kobalds, my good sir! :smallbiggrin:

Adonis1x23
2010-03-02, 05:46 PM
Because of the note at the end.

Didn't you notice the superscript?

Okay, now that you mention it.

:smallconfused: A what now? This thread is clearly about Kobalds, my good sir! :smallbiggrin:

You can't blame him though, it is a woefully esoteric sub-race of the traditional kobold--who, coincidentally, are also bald.:smalltongue:

I fixed the spelling.

I think it would be better if I went:

1-3rd Cloistered Cleric/4-5th Church Inquisitor(cd)/6-10th Divine Oracle(cd)/11-16th Contemplative/17-20th Paragnostic Apostle(cc)

Which would get me: Time (chosen), Planning (chosen), Knowledge (cc), Inquisition (ci), Oracle (do), Travel (con), Fate (con). Not to mention a few modest immunities.

What do you think?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-02, 06:31 PM
You can't get persist spell with a flaw, it has as a pre-requisite extende spell.

faceroll
2010-03-02, 06:36 PM
You can't get persist spell with a flaw, it has as a pre-requisite extende spell.

Planning domain has extend as its domain bonus and is surprisingly appropriate for this DMMpersist build.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-02, 06:42 PM
Planning domain has extend as its domain bonus and is surprisingly appropriate for this DMMpersist build.

My bad, didn't see he had planning domain I just glanced at the feats.

Adonis1x23
2010-03-03, 11:59 AM
Changed some stuff around, I think it makes the concept and flavor mesh better.

Pluto
2010-03-03, 09:16 PM
Why Knowledge Devotion? If you're focusing on buffing and healing, it won't see much use.

If you have access to Complete Scoundrel's magic locations, the Frog God's Fane gives Skill Focus (Religion) for a couple thousand gp.

With the Inquisition Domain, I like to use Divine Defiance from the Fiendish Codex 2. Immediate-action counterspells are just fantastic.

Quicken Spell is a must-have for most high-level casters.

You might want Craft Rod for Nightsticks and rods of extend and quicken.

Adonis1x23
2010-03-04, 04:32 PM
Why Knowledge Devotion? If you're focusing on buffing and healing, it won't see much use.

If you have access to Complete Scoundrel's magic locations, the Frog God's Fane gives Skill Focus (Religion) for a couple thousand gp.

With the Inquisition Domain, I like to use Divine Defiance from the Fiendish Codex 2. Immediate-action counterspells are just fantastic.

Quicken Spell is a must-have for most high-level casters.

You might want Craft Rod for Nightsticks and rods of extend and quicken.

Thanks for pointing out Divine Defiance, that was a really good find.

Edit:
Holy Cow! Does the Draconic Rite of Passage count as the ability to "cast arcane spells" for the purposes of entering Dweomerkeeper? The one from the Complete Divine web enhancement.

magic9mushroom
2010-03-04, 05:40 PM
Thanks for pointing out Divine Defiance, that was a really good find.

Edit:
Holy Cow! Does the Draconic Rite of Passage count as the ability to "cast arcane spells" for the purposes of entering Dweomerkeeper? The one from the Complete Divine web enhancement.

It's an SLA, so no.

There are various other means to get it, though.

Adonis1x23
2010-03-04, 07:42 PM
How could I, then?