PDA

View Full Version : Gaining reach for unarmed attack

jpreem
2010-03-02, 05:08 AM
I guess you can always be large sized, but if a reach weapon using player gets enlarged then he/she will just have even more reach.
The thing im looking for would be something (feat/spell/item/graft/etc) that would just make your unarmed attack or natural weapon a reach weapon in itself.
J.

Curmudgeon
2010-03-02, 05:14 AM
1. Extended Reach (Savage Species, page 34): requires flexible body parts. The Aberration Blood feat (Lords of Madness, page 178) can grant flexible limbs to a humanoid. (This restricts the base creature type, though to the most common type for player races.)
2. Inhuman Reach (Lords of Madness, page 180): requires Aberration Blood, which is already used to satisfy the above requirement. This further 5' extent does incur a cost of -1 to all melee attack rolls.

TheFallenOne
2010-03-02, 05:16 AM
Dancing Blade Form(Tome of Battle, Level 5 Iron Heart Stance) gives you +5 feet on all melee attacks during your turn, though you'd need levels in a Martial Adept Class(Warblade to be precise) to get it at a reasonable time and expense

PinkysBrain
2010-03-02, 05:25 AM
Blood Wind spell from SPC ... lets you throw your unarmed attacks and natural attacks as ranged attacks (still uses strength for damage and to hit though). Funny broken spell.

Nero24200
2010-03-02, 05:56 AM
If you're allowing PF theres also the Lunge Feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/lunge-combat---final).

Slightly off topic - Am I the only one that saw the topic title and thought "Rocket Punch"?

magic9mushroom
2010-03-02, 06:04 AM
1. Extended Reach (Savage Species, page 34): requires flexible body parts. The Aberration Blood feat (Lords of Madness, page 178) can grant flexible limbs to a humanoid. (This restricts the base creature type, though to the most common type for player races.)
2. Inhuman Reach (Lords of Madness, page 180): requires Aberration Blood, which is already used to satisfy the above requirement. This further 5' extent does incur a cost of -1 to all melee attack rolls.

Does Extended Reach stack with Deformity: Tall?

The latter is a Vile feat, from either BoVD or HoH (or possibly both).

Quirinus_Obsidian
2010-03-02, 06:46 AM
Slightly off topic - Am I the only one that saw the topic title and thought "Rocket Punch"?

Honestly, no. :smallsmile:

Savage Species (brokeness in it's purest form) brought us the idea of Returning Natural Attacks, with the "Necklace of Natural Attacks" item. Since an unarmed strike is considered a natural attack in the RAW...

Tokiko Mima
2010-03-02, 07:10 AM

Savage Species (brokeness in it's purest form) brought us the idea of Returning Natural Attacks, with the "Necklace of Natural Attacks" item. Since an unarmed strike is considered a natural attack in the RAW...

Actually, I believe unarmed strike makes the most sense as a special form of manufactured/iterative weapons, per this Rules of the Game article on Unarmed Strikes (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20070403a). Monks get away with using their unarmed strikes as natural weapons because of that line in PHB 'A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons. ' But for a person that isn't a monk (or another class that has 'Unarmed Strike as a monk'), they would not be able to apply Necklace of Natural Attacks to an unarmed strike.

Yuki Akuma
2010-03-02, 07:24 AM

Only a monk's unarmed strike is a natural attack for the purposes of qualifying for spells, feats and other effects that specifically affect natural attacks but not manufactured weapons.

Everyone else's is a manufactured weapon.

Yes I know this is stupid, but them's the rules.

Curmudgeon
2010-03-02, 08:07 AM
But for a person that isn't a monk (or another class that has 'Unarmed Strike as a monk'), they would not be able to apply Necklace of Natural Attacks to an unarmed strike.
WotC has an item that sets a precedent: the Fanged Ring (Dragon Magic), which grants

Improved Unarmed Strike
Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike)
Unarmed strike is a natural attack, with no Monk levels required.

Darrin
2010-03-02, 08:39 AM
WotC has an item that sets a precedent: the Fanged Ring (Dragon Magic), which grants

Improved Unarmed Strike
Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike)
Unarmed strike is a natural attack, with no Monk levels required.

I don't see how this sets a precedent. By RAW, a non-monk Unarmed Strike (Improved or otherwise) is not a natural attack (if it were, you could only attack once per round with it). I can see how Fanged Ring might be an exception to that rule, but mostly I think it's a demonstration that the designer of the Fanged Ring had no idea how unarmed strikes and natural attacks worked.

Curmudgeon
2010-03-02, 09:08 AM
I don't see how this sets a precedent. By RAW, a non-monk Unarmed Strike (Improved or otherwise) is not a natural attack (if it were, you could only attack once per round with it). I can see how Fanged Ring might be an exception to that rule, but mostly I think it's a demonstration that the designer of the Fanged Ring had no idea how unarmed strikes and natural attacks worked.
This just means there are two ways that non-Monk characters can boost their unarmed strikes with a Necklace of Natural Attacks:

directly, because with a Fanged Ring sets the precedent for doing so; or
only in combination with a Fanged Ring, because it provides the specific exception required (just as Monk levels do).

Person_Man
2010-03-02, 09:25 AM
Here's the compilation thread:

Increasing Size, Effective Size, Unarmed Damage, Reach (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7081777)

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-02, 12:42 PM
Here's my input:

From MIC: Scorpion Kamas-Deal Unarmed instead of Kama Damage
Get two, tie them together, and voila, a Kusari-Gamma. Reach out and kill 'em

Sir Giacomo
2010-03-02, 02:12 PM
I think the drunken master prestige class from complete warrior lets you do unarmed damage with all kinds of improvised weapons, including, say, a 30ft ladder ... :smallbiggrin:

- Giacomo

Edit: just saw that it is part of Person_Man's excellent compilation ... but may have been worth pointing out in this thread...

herrhauptmann
2010-03-02, 02:25 PM
Play as a choker. They get reach.

Ravens_cry
2010-03-02, 02:29 PM
Get an amulet of unarmed attacks
Enchant it with throwing and returning.
Become Dhalsim or Rayman.

Riffington
2010-03-02, 02:39 PM
Only a monk's unarmed strike is a natural attack for the purposes of qualifying for spells, feats and other effects that specifically affect natural attacks but not manufactured weapons.

Everyone else's is a manufactured weapon.

Yes I know this is stupid, but them's the rules.

It makes perfect sense. What is manufactured? "made by man". Your body was made by people. But monks aren't people; at level 1 it's just their feet while by level 20, they become full outsiders. Since monks aren't really people, it's ok to be racist against them.

Yuki Akuma
2010-03-02, 02:54 PM
Manufactured means "made", which means every living being is manufactured unless it sprang into existence fully-formed. :smallwink:

Gametime
2010-03-02, 03:46 PM
Manufactured means "made", which means every living being is manufactured unless it sprang into existence fully-formed. :smallwink:

So Athena, for example, would have body parts that count as natural, not manufactured, weapons. :smalltongue:

NEO|Phyte
2010-03-02, 03:52 PM
Incidently, you people have it backwards, based on the spells Magic Weapon and Magic Fang, a non-monk unarmed strike is a natural weapon, not a manufactured one.

Yuki Akuma
2010-03-02, 03:55 PM
Incidently, you people have it backwards, based on the spells Magic Weapon and Magic Fang, a non-monk unarmed strike is a natural weapon, not a manufactured one.

Affecting all unarmed strikes is a specific effect of the spell. Unarmed strikes are not natural weapons in general.

NEO|Phyte
2010-03-02, 03:57 PM
Affecting all unarmed strikes is a specific effect of the spell. Unarmed strikes are not natural weapons in general.
Doesn't sound that way to me.

Magic weapon gives a weapon a +1 enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls. (An enhancement bonus does not stack with a masterwork weapon’s +1 bonus on attack rolls.)

You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as an unarmed strike (instead, see magic fang). A monk’s unarmed strike is considered a weapon, and thus it can be enhanced by this spell.

whlonehawk
2010-03-02, 04:14 PM
There is a feet in Dragon Mag./Dragon Compendium called "Ring the Gold Bell".

Ring the Gold Bell [General]

(DR319 p71)

Wisdom 13
Base Attack Bonus +5
Improved Unarmed Strike
Stunning Fist
Weapon Focus (unarmed
strike)

You may inflict Unarmed Strike damage, plus effects such as Stunning Fist that are inflicted along with
your Unarmed Strike, as a Ranged Attack with a maximum range of 5’ + 5’ per Wisdom modifier.
Usable (1 + Wisdom modifier) times per day.

i hope this helps

Asheram
2010-03-02, 04:38 PM
There's always the "Warshaper" class that gains +5foot range when in an alternate form.

jpreem
2010-03-04, 12:14 PM
I think the drunken master prestige class from complete warrior lets you do unarmed damage with all kinds of improvised weapons, including, say, a 30ft ladder ... :smallbiggrin:

- Giacomo

Edit: just saw that it is part of Person_Man's excellent compilation ... but may have been worth pointing out in this thread...

Well the mental image of that just made my day :smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2010-03-04, 12:22 PM
Well the mental image of that just made my day :smallbiggrin:Flurrying 30ft. ladder is only one of the reasons the concept of drunken masters is awesome. :smallwink:

Gametime
2010-03-04, 12:24 PM
I'm pretty sure the rules are clear: Unarmed Strikes are natural attacks that don't follow any of the rules for natural attacks and instead use the iterative progression associated with manufactured weapons, which natural attacks are not except when they are.

I mean, what could be confusing about that?

Xenogears
2010-03-04, 12:28 PM
My answer to this, and to be honest almost every question I answer, is grafting. The Long Arm graft from Fiend Folio gives +5 ft reach for a mere 5k gp.

Oh and it drives you insane if your good and turns you evil if your nuetral. And a -6 penalty on Cha based skill checks with good NPCs as the demonic flesh sewn onto you slowly warps your mind...

JeenLeen
2010-03-04, 12:51 PM
There's always the "Warshaper" class that gains +5foot range when in an alternate form.

I had a Changeling Warshaper with the aberration feats Curmudgeon mentioned for 15 ft reach.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't add Deformity: Tall and the other feat Curmudgeon mentioned for 25 ft reach on unarmed strike and/or natural weapons, all the while being a medium creature.

Fiery Diamond
2010-03-04, 01:03 PM
I'm pretty sure the rules are clear: Unarmed Strikes are natural attacks that don't follow any of the rules for natural attacks and instead use the iterative progression associated with manufactured weapons, which natural attacks are not except when they are.

I mean, what could be confusing about that?

Actually, as silly-sounding as this is, I think this is EXACTLY what they meant.