PDA

View Full Version : Re: Forum Filter

InaVegt
2010-03-02, 08:54 AM
I seem to recall circumventing the forum filter for names and the like was permitted, but I'm not entirely sure.

Like the famous guy whose name is filtered out at two different spots by the forum. (Once for being a genital, once for being a slur)

Similarly... I have this habit to refer to cigarettes by a word (british slang, I believe) that's mostly considered a slur by those in the US o' A, and while I've gotten out of the habit to do that here, it once ruined this perfectly fine poem I wrote, and I was wondering whether that would be permittable.

Keris
2010-03-02, 09:19 AM
Rawhides words in a thread on a similar, if not the same, subject a while ago were:

How else would we talk about **** Van Dyke?

To clarify:

We are aware that there are legitimate words that the filter can block and, when used in context and in a non-offensive and non-insulting way, you are indeed allowed to use them.

Douglas
2010-03-02, 09:25 AM
If you're doing something like mentioning by title a certain book that starts with "Call me Ishmael", I believe circumventing the filter so you don't get "Moby ****" is ok. Likewise, if you run into a problem like the classic "clbuttic" filter result, I doubt anyone will punish you for circumventing the filter to get your actual word through.

If you are clearly using the filtered word in a manner other than the reason it's filtered, I think you're probably fine. Try not to push it, though, and make sure your use of the word is very obviously not the offensive one before doing it.

I'm not a mod, though, so don't depend on this being correct unless Roland confirms it.

Roland St. Jude
2010-03-02, 10:00 AM
Sheriff of Moddingham: As Rawhide said in the quotes Keris Rain gave you, if your use of the word is non-profane/inappropriate, fine. As douglas says, be particularly careful when working around the filter, but there are times when it's acceptable.

As for the specific example, about cigarettes, the same rule applies, but you better be certain that no confusion, double-meaning, or misunderstanding is likely from your use because that particular word carries a lot of baggage and is the kind of slur that gets people instant banned if directed at other posters.