PDA

View Full Version : Scratch and Dent

Drolyt
2010-03-02, 04:36 PM
I'm just wondering what's up with the Scratch and Dent thing on Ookoodook. Since they didn't have any non scratch and dent copies of War and XPs I ended up ordering a Scratch and Dent copy despite my apprehension. Turns out I worried over nothing because there doesn't appear to be a damn thing wrong with it. Now I'm not complaining, I got a discount even, but why sell them as Scratch and Dent when as far as I can tell you'd need a microscope to see any scratches.

On another note, will Ookoodook ever get new copies of Dungeon Crawlin Fools?

Kish
2010-03-02, 04:40 PM
I'm just wondering what's up with the Scratch and Dent thing on Ookoodook. Since they didn't have any non scratch and dent copies of War and XPs I ended up ordering a Scratch and Dent copy despite my apprehension. Turns out I worried over nothing because there doesn't appear to be a damn thing wrong with it. Now I'm not complaining, I got a discount even, but why sell them as Scratch and Dent when as far as I can tell you'd need a microscope to see any scratches.
Because it saves them from being sued by people who brought out microscopes. :smalltongue:

Rich said a while ago, when someone asked what Scratch and Dent books are, that the majority of them would probably have tiny ink splotches on the cover or something else insignificant.

Drolyt
2010-03-02, 04:49 PM
Because it saves them from being sued by people who brought out microscopes. :smalltongue:

Rich said a while ago, when someone asked what Scratch and Dent books are, that the majority of them would probably have tiny ink splotches on the cover or something else insignificant.

I see. While, I've yet to figure out what exactly was wrong with mine, so I'm happy. :smallsmile:

fwiffo
2010-03-02, 05:20 PM
Scratch and Dent? Who wants that? Me, I am holding out for Scratch and Sniff edition of those books. If Rich puts out the "Eau de Belkar" version, he is going to rake in more cash than Haley at OOTS convention.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-02, 05:23 PM
Scratch and Dent? Who wants that? Me, I am holding out for Scratch and Sniff edition of those books. If Rich puts out the "Eau de Belkar" version, he is going to rake in more cash than Haley at an OOTS convention.

Okay. you win. Thread over.

Optimystik
2010-03-02, 05:28 PM
Both my SoD and OtOoPCs are Scratch & Dent. I have yet to notice any blemish whatsoever.

silversaraph
2010-03-02, 05:32 PM
My paladin blues book was a scratch and dent. My Don't split the party was a regular. As far as I could tell, the former was in BETTER condition than the latter (don't split the party had picture blurs and other small printer mishaps).

I think most of the time they're going for a known marketing scheme... many people will buy a reduced price product of something they know the regular price for even if they wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Drolyt
2010-03-02, 05:53 PM
I think most of the time they're going for a known marketing scheme... many people will buy a reduced price product of something they know the regular price for even if they wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

That might be the case. I should note that I have every book except Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, and they all arrived in excellent condition with no problems whatsoever. Pretty high print quality, which justifies the price tag.

NerfTW
2010-03-02, 06:02 PM
My paladin blues book was a scratch and dent. My Don't split the party was a regular. As far as I could tell, the former was in BETTER condition than the latter (don't split the party had picture blurs and other small printer mishaps).

No. Far more likely they labeled an entire shipment as damaged, as opposed to looking at every single page of every single book after finding one damaged. So it's entirely possible that you can get a pristine book that was in the botched printing, but it's better to label them all damaged to minimize the chance of a damaged one passing through the examination.

Drolyt
2010-03-02, 07:16 PM
No. Far more likely they labeled an entire shipment as damaged, as opposed to looking at every single page of every single book after finding one damaged. So it's entirely possible that you can get a pristine book that was in the botched printing, but it's better to label them all damaged to minimize the chance of a damaged one passing through the examination.

I like this explanation. Although its not a contradiction for both to be true.

factotum
2010-03-03, 02:34 AM
As for Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, I believe Rich posted that they're likely to get some reprints of that in around April. (He did say that it might happen in January if circumstances permitted, but I guess they didn't!).

Drolyt
2010-03-03, 05:53 AM
As for Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, I believe Rich posted that they're likely to get some reprints of that in around April. (He did say that it might happen in January if circumstances permitted, but I guess they didn't!).

Oh. April's not too bad then. Thanks.

apegamer
2010-03-03, 09:26 AM
Regarding scratch & dent at Ookoodook...

The contents of the books and games that we sell are completely intact and unharmed (to the best of our knowledge, since we don't take the shrink off games).

There will be minor denting and scuffing on the cover/box that will not affect the functionality in any way.

Drolyt
2010-03-03, 09:52 AM
Regarding scratch & dent at Ookoodook...

The contents of the books and games that we sell are completely intact and unharmed (to the best of our knowledge, since we don't take the shrink off games).

There will be minor denting and scuffing on the cover/box that will not affect the functionality in any way.

Except that my book appears to be in perfect condition. Which of course isn't a bad thing.

Ancalagon
2010-03-03, 10:05 AM
Both my SoD and OtOoPCs are Scratch & Dent. I have yet to notice any blemish whatsoever.

There was an issue with the colour print in those... and you thought it was supposed to be Black & White!

factotum
2010-03-03, 10:59 AM
There was an issue with the colour print in those... and you thought it was supposed to be Black & White!

They never sold any of the ones with the incorrect colour printing, did they? (As I recall, the Giant said a load of SoDs had been printed without the colour insert in the middle).

Drolyt
2010-03-03, 11:04 AM
They never sold any of the ones with the incorrect colour printing, did they? (As I recall, the Giant said a load of SoDs had been printed without the colour insert in the middle).

Really? That would suck. I don't know anything about book binding, but why couldn't they insert the color pages after the fact? Even if it was a less then perfect job they could sell it at a lower price or something.

Ancalagon
2010-03-03, 11:17 AM

I was joking but I think you are not, so...:

The Giant said (back then) that the proof-print he got had the colour-sections in b&w instead of colour.
The "proof" is one pre-example you receive before the printer actually prints the thousands of copies you ordered so you can point out any errors they made.

I really doubt that unique book was ever sold.

(And even if I remember incorrectly and there were more books broken, I doubt those were sold. Wasn't that mistake the reason SoD was delayed by a few weeks?)

Drolyt
2010-03-03, 11:46 AM
I was joking but I think you are not, so...:

The Giant said (back then) that the proof-print he got had the colour-sections in b&w instead of colour.
The "proof" is one pre-example you receive before the printer actually prints the thousands of copies you ordered so you can point out any errors they made.

I really doubt that unique book was ever sold.

(And even if I remember incorrectly and there were more books broken, I doubt those were sold. Wasn't that mistake the reason SoD was delayed by a few weeks?)

Hmm, maybe if he still has the incorrect printing he could auction it off for a high price. Or maybe he has it tucked away somewhere.

Ancalagon
2010-03-03, 11:52 AM
I remembered incorrectly:

5/26/2007

So, you may have noticed that it's past May 15th, and those of you who have preordered haven't gotten your copies of Start of Darkness. Or that they aren't showing up on store shelves. It's not just you; the printer made a mistake and printed the special "color insert" in black-and-white, so we have to go back and print those pages again. (Don't worry, it's not costing me anything.) Right now, the ETA for the book is June 13th, but as always, don't hold me to that.

Drolyt
2010-03-03, 12:15 PM
I remembered incorrectly:

Good thing they noticed that, the color insert is awesome.

RecklessFable
2010-03-03, 02:06 PM
My scratch and dent version had exactly one scratch and one dent when I pulled them from the box.

I then promptly knocked my entire stack off the kitchen counter and now they have matching corner damage. /sigh.

That being said, they are a good deal.

Big Hungry Joe
2010-03-03, 03:03 PM
I always go Scratch & Dent, since there's almost never any discernable differences. The discount may also draw in more sales and ultimately net more loot than the full price ones anyway.

Also, in 100 years the Scratch & Dent ones will be worth more, in the upside-down airplane stamp sort of way. It's science.

Drolyt
2010-03-03, 03:18 PM
I always go Scratch & Dent, since there's almost never any discernable differences. The discount may also draw in more sales and ultimately net more loot than the full price ones anyway.

Also, in 100 years the Scratch & Dent ones will be worth more, in the upside-down airplane stamp sort of way. It's science.

The day I admit to economics being a valid science is the day the earth itself is shattered.

Agi Hammerthief
2010-03-04, 03:17 AM
somehow anything I own becomes scratch and dent pretty soon anyways :smallredface:

Drolyt
2010-03-04, 10:18 AM
somehow anything I own becomes scratch and dent pretty soon anyways :smallredface:

Yeah, that's true enough for a lot of people so I guess Scratch and Dent is fine for them, but I try hard to keep my stuff in good condition.

FerhagoRosewood
2010-03-07, 08:12 PM
Since we're on the subject and that I was loathe to make a whole thread for a simple question for a potential book buyer...

In what form are the books, paperback or hardcover?

Mystic Muse
2010-03-07, 08:29 PM
the ones I have are paperback.

Drolyt
2010-03-07, 08:45 PM
Since we're on the subject and that I was loathe to make a whole thread for a simple question for a potential book buyer...

In what form are the books, paperback or hardcover?

Paperback, though well constructed. The size is full comic, like a D&D book or something similar.

FerhagoRosewood
2010-03-07, 09:28 PM
Paperback, though well constructed. The size is full comic, like a D&D book or something similar.

Good to know.

And apologies for that first sentence of mine. Man, talk about a run on...

>.>

Ancalagon
2010-03-08, 05:38 AM
Good to know.

... the overall quality (print, paper etc) is very good as well.