PDA

View Full Version : Need help building a Pathfinder Rogue

TH Minotuar
2010-03-02, 06:06 PM
Good afternoon,

I've played role playing games for several years, but we just started playing Pathfinder and I want to play a rogue in our campaign. First of all, we are only allowed to use the Core rules and I believe the supplements released online (not sure what they may be). Second, the character is an Elf (if that matters). I'd like to come up with a plan for the first 10 levels or so to give me something to work with.

I envision a character like the main character in Assassin's Creed (Altair). Basically I'd like to excel at climbing, hiding and sneaking up and killing foes. I can't be an Assassin prestige class as Evil is not allowed.

The guys seem to expect my characters to be wimps because I guess I'm just not great at figuring out all of the chess-like moves needed to build great characters. That's why I'm looking for some help.

I've read lots of other threads, but they are using other games (3.5 or 4e) or are allowed to use lots of other source material.

I appreciate any help!

TH Minotuar
2010-03-03, 06:05 PM
Ok, I've been working on this for several hours and here's what I came up with to do first:

Skills:
Acrobatics
Bluff
Climb
Disable Device
Disguise
Escape Artist
Perception
Sleight of Hand
Stealth
Survival

Traits:
Killer
Child of the Streets

Feats:
Weapon Finesse (I have a 17 DEX and a 15 STR)

I figure these are good starting ideas. We start playing these characters tonight, so this is what I will be starting with. But I'm looking for some input as to what would be best to do next (and for the next 10 levels).

Thanks, TH

Saph
2010-03-03, 07:05 PM
Elf is a pretty good race for a Pathfinder Rogue. Take advantage of the weapon proficiency to use a longbow when getting up close isn't a good choice.

Your skill selection is good, except that I'd recommend UMD over Survival (it's a class skill, Survival isn't). As you level up try and put one rank in odd skills like Diplomacy and Sense Motive to get the +3 trained bonus and make the most of the Rogue's wide list of class skills.

Note that Rogues get Rogue Talents every even-numbered level, and one of them gives you Weapon Finesse, so you may want to consider taking something else for your 1st-level feat (as your Strength is so close to your Dex anyway). I'd suggest Improved Initiative instead.

Your principle damage source will be Sneak Attack, but your Strength is high enough that you can still just stab things if Sneak isn't an option. As you level up, you'll need to focus more on getting Sneaks.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Ashram
2010-03-03, 07:22 PM
For sneaky rogues who like Acrobatics (Balance, mainly) Ledge Walker is good. For Stealth whores, Fast Stealth is an absolute must. (Move at full speed with no stealth penalties? Hell yes!)

For damage, Bleeding Attack is your friend. (Make a Sneak Attack, enemy takes bleeding damage each round equal to your SA dice; for example, a rogue with 1d6 SA does 1 point of bleed damage a round. Bleed persists until magical healing is applied or a DC 15 Heal check is made; bypasses DR.)

Once you get Advanced Rogue Talents at 10th level, Crippling Strike is great as well. (For every SA you make, enemy takes 2 points of Strength damage. Stacks with itself. :3)

PinkysBrain
2010-03-03, 07:48 PM
Take a trait which gives +2 initiative ... always nice to act in a surprise round as a rogue.

You don't want to be in melee as a rogue if you can't do sneak attack damage ... you might have a little strength, but it's simply not worth the risk ... you do just as much damage throwing darts or something at range. In fact I personally don't think a rogue belongs in melee unless he is TWF'ing.

PS. you didn't take UMD ... always take UMD.

TH Minotuar
2010-03-04, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I took UMD and dropped Survival. I'm second level already, LOTS of baddies dispatched, most by me (well, I issued the killing strike so I count them as my kill!)

I think I get a talent now. I'll look for the one that gives +2 init, as suggested. I'll take improved initiative next level. And I'm increasing most of the same skills, with the addition of Sense Motive and Diplomacy.

Doesn't one of the talents give spell using abilities? What about that?

Thanks for all the input!!

Greenish
2010-03-04, 07:05 PM
It's 3.5 instead of PF, but the Avenger (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a) is non-Evil Assassin. Yes, it's an April Fools joke, but then the idea that you can't specialize into being good at stabbing creatures in the back with the experience gained from stabbing creatures in the back is a bit silly.

PinkysBrain
2010-03-04, 08:08 PM
Doesn't one of the talents give spell using abilities? What about that?
It's mostly useful for the dispelling strike at higher level ...

Scrolls/wands of level 1 spells are very cheap, so once you can use those with UMD (will take a while to get your skill up high enough) you don't really need a talent which can do it.

TH Minotuar
2010-03-06, 09:45 PM
Sounds like wands are the way to go, a bit later. And I like the idea of a "good" Assassin!

So, anyone have any idea of a plan that would help my character become formidable? My brother, for instance, has his fighter planned out to 18th level. He knows what feats and skills he will be taking, and in what order to maximize his character. Can someone help me with doing this, too? Like I said before, I just don't seem to have the ability to wrap my head around all of these new rules.

I DID play D&D for a little while about 15 years ago, but I really can't remember how all of this went.

I REALLY appreciate all of the input!

rubycona
2010-03-08, 02:15 AM
Well, it depends on how exactly you want to play it out. When I played Assassin's creed, and How I played Assassin's creed, I saw less brute strength and more Dex. Crazy Dex.

I saw the feat Acrobatic Maneuvers (Pathfinder core), which lets you use your Dex instead of Str in your CMB... which is great for "trickier" combat, rather than straight hack-and-slash.

I saw the Blind Fight feat for killing in the shadows. Maybe the Critical Focus and subsequent chain of feats (like stunning critical), if those match your character concept. Nimble Moves and Acrobatic Steps fit with the whole Altair running through all kinds of crazy garbage so fast. In the right kind of game, Run can be a good feat for this character concept... but Only in the right kind of game, so most likely, not so much.

Step Up is a cool feat, a 5ft step as an immediate action, on an enemy's turn? That can end really badly for enemies, if you use it well.

Vital Strike and upgrades are good for doing increased damage on a single blow. I may pick some of those in my game... (just switched over to Pathfinder)

Wep focus -> Dazzling Display -> Shatter Defenses looks like it could be a fun setup. Sneak attack applies to flat-footed enemies, and making them shaken/frightened/panicked could make for a really fun roleplay element, on top of the straight combat benefits.

Ok, so I ended up going through the list and picking feats that looked promising. Of course, that's only one part of it. Hope that helped.

TH Minotuar
2010-03-08, 04:39 PM
Crazy Dex is a great way to put it! That is exactly the way I envision playing this character. Climbing walls, jumping between buildings, attacking from above, blending in with a crowd, etc. And I basically want him to be an Assassin, just without the official title. Not that he'd be going on missions to take out a target, but that he could...

I wasn't sure what the Step Up feat was about. I still get confused about moving "through" an enemy or around them, and the different attacks they get on you for doing so. So I was unsure about this Feat.

I thought Run would be useful for getting away if being chased, but the idea is to not be noticed (but a good backup plan).

Thank you for your ideas. I'll take a look at them all and see how I can interleave them over the next 10 levels or so for MAXIMUM efficiency!

Wagadodo
2010-03-08, 05:21 PM
I am playing a Pathfinder Rogue in a game currently. I plan on taking the feats for improved feint. Move action feint able to get sneak attack in. It might be errated out, but it does not state that you have to be in Melee combat to fient any more. But at level 10 take the rogue talent that will allow you to take a 10 on so many skills based on your intelligence. That way you can take a 10 on use magic device and if you have enough ranks in it you no longer have to roll to actually use the skill. Or use it for you stealth again you can take a fairly average roll.

Other than that every one else has suggested what I would suggest.