PDA

View Full Version : DDI and the Character Builder

Erom
2010-03-02, 06:35 PM
Simple question. I've been told that if you get a month worth of DDI, update your character builder with the latest and greatest, and then let your sub expire, the character builder will not return to limiting you to L1-3 characters and L1-8 items. It does, of course, lose the automatic updating every month.

Has anyone actually done this? Confirm/Deny? I would happily pay for a month sub if I knew this worked. And even maybe a month once a year to get updates.

Thanks for the information - I know this MUST be somewhere on the forums, but I couldn't seem to get the right search terms to find it.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-03-02, 06:49 PM
This is true.

When you sign up for DDI, you download the full Character Builder (and Adventure Tools - I highly recommend them) and they are fully updated (and unlocked) as of that date. Your DDI subscription also comes with some "spare" updates which you can either use on other computers you own, or on your friends' computers.

When your DDI subscription expires, everything remains exactly as it was the day before.

Silly Wizard
2010-03-02, 06:53 PM
Yeah, you keep everything. Just make sure you buy it when a book comes out, that way you have all the books you need. Don't screw up like me and lose your sub right before they update for Power supplement :(

oxybe
2010-03-02, 06:56 PM
DDI is downloaded directly to the computer, along with the updates.

i'm running my roommate's nov09 build right now on my home computer, which is always connected to the net, and i've yet to run into a problem with it going back to the original levels 1-3 build.

it's kinda like most any other software: it'll only update to the latest version if it can, otherwise you're "stuck" with what you have.

Erom
2010-03-02, 07:01 PM
Awesome, thanks guys. I feel like this is sort of generous on WOTC's part, actually...

NeoVid
2010-03-02, 07:03 PM
The builder is stupidly useful, as I now know thanks to a member of my group letting me use his account for it. It's the best RPG tool I've seen, with having every option from every book available right there. MP2 and the latest errata just got added to it this morning.

Though there are a couple of minor problems I've had... I haven't found a way to houserule in free feats on the builder, and it won't let me retrain into higher-tier feats, which I know it should. Maybe I'm missing how to do it.

JonestheSpy
2010-03-02, 07:07 PM
My feeling is that when playing Dance Dance Immolation, A high-Dex build with excellent reflex saves is a must, as well as Skill Focus(Breakdancing). Buying a fire suit as soon as you can afford it is a given, of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wi5OxVG8mg&feature=related

oxybe
2010-03-02, 07:08 PM
there should be a little arrow where it lists the feats by level, that should let you add more feats or at least custom ones. i think.

i'm kinda at work right now, on a mac. no way to get to DDI here, regretfully.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-03-02, 07:09 PM
Awesome, thanks guys. I feel like this is sort of generous on WOTC's part, actually...
Generous in that they created a program that is infinitely better than pirated PDFs and sufficiently cheap to compete with them? And one that pays WotC directly (and with low variable costs) rather than through a series of middlemen?

Yeah, I'm seeing a little Invisible Hand action here :smallamused:

It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest.