PDA

View Full Version : HBO Greenlights Game of Thrones

Brewdude
2010-03-02, 09:26 PM
For those who don't follow winter-is-coming.net religiously...

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/03/hbo-greenlights-game-of-thrones-.html

George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" has been greenlit by HBO to start production on a 10 episode first season.

Now if only he finishes A Dance with Dragons before it airs!

valadil
2010-03-02, 09:31 PM

I'm hopeful he will. I mean, I know the show will keep him busier than usual, but I'd like to think it'll inspire GRRM to get back to the series. I was always worried that if it got canned he'd get upset and lose motivation.

Sneak
2010-03-02, 09:38 PM
Sweet!

Oh, and I'm worried about the timing as well. Supposedly, each season of the series is supposed to focus on the events of one of the books. The first season is supposed to air in 2011, I believe. He has seven novels planned. He hasn't finished the fifth one yet. I believe he he has already spent over five years writing it.

Seems like there could be a timing problem towards the end (if the series doesn't get canned)...

YorickBrown
2010-03-02, 09:44 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143367

Brewdude
2010-03-02, 09:59 PM
Pfft, that's just a generic about the series thread. This one's an announcement thread! :)

Dienekes
2010-03-02, 10:09 PM
Sweet!

Oh, and I'm worried about the timing as well. Supposedly, each season of the series is supposed to focus on the events of one of the books. The first season is supposed to air in 2011, I believe. He has seven novels planned. He hasn't finished the fifth one yet. I believe he he has already spent over five years writing it.

Seems like there could be a timing problem towards the end (if the series doesn't get canned)...

The poor fools who still have hope, believe that the tv series will speed him up as he he will fall back to writing on a timeline like he did during his tv show scripting days.

Sneak
2010-03-02, 10:11 PM
Harharyeahright. If anything, I bet it'll just distract him, unfortunately.

Dienekes
2010-03-02, 10:14 PM
Unfortunately we are in agreement there.

Hadessniper
2010-03-02, 11:23 PM
Didn't they already shoot the pilot? Are they just scraping that and reshooting everything then? If they are I hope they 'leak' the original pilot to wet some appetites because this thing has been in the wind for so long it would be very nice to see something sooner then a year from now.

Sneak
2010-03-02, 11:37 PM
No, I'm pretty certain they're using the pilot. I think they just have to shoot the rest of the episodes. But maybe I'm wrong—I have very little knowledge about how the TV industry works.

zyphyr
2010-03-02, 11:51 PM
No, I'm pretty certain they're using the pilot. I think they just have to shoot the rest of the episodes. But maybe I'm wrong—I have very little knowledge about how the TV industry works.

The normal method is
1)Shoot pilot.

2)Decide if pilot is acceptable.

3)If not, decide if it is worth salvaging. If so, return to step 1 (this is rather uncommon, but not unheard of). Otherwise you are done.

4)If pilot was acceptable, negotiate production costs, cast changes, etc.

5)Assuming step 4 produced an agreement, start making the rest of season 1.

Game of Thrones being greenlit means that it is time for step 5.

bosssmiley
2010-03-03, 09:38 AM
Oh, has The Mountain That Does Not Stick To Deadlines finally discharged his latest bolus of turgid generic fantasy then?

No? Quelle surprise. :smallamused:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: It is pointless creating a TV show of an unfinished series. HBO should know better. :smallmad:

TheBST
2010-03-03, 10:35 AM
Oh, has The Mountain That Does Not Stick To Deadlines finally discharged his latest bolus of turgid generic fantasy then?

What a pretentious way to essentially say 'lol Martin sux'.

BRC
2010-03-03, 10:52 AM

I'm not quite sure what a bolus is. I'm only half sure what Turgid means, and that's a matter of opinion. You're quip about the deadlines is perfectly valid. I will vehemently argue with you that ASoIAF is not Generic though.

I would sarcastically quip "Oh, did somebody find a Thesarus", but I use too many unnecessarily big words in everyday speech to say that without shame.

H. Zee
2010-03-03, 11:08 AM

Even though I agree with you, you somehow make me not want to.

Lord of the Helms
2010-03-03, 12:29 PM

I'd be positively surprised if he finishes a Dance with Dragons before the TV series has finished adapting A Feast For Crows :smalltongue:

In all seriousness, this should be pretty nice. It should be interesting to see how they adapt the whole thing; should not be too difficult with its rather unfantastic fantasy, the dragons and maybe giants would end up the most difficult part in all likelihood.

Smiling Knight
2010-03-03, 03:01 PM

Wow, your mastery of the English language and/or a thesaurus has convinced me that one the seminal fantasy writers of our times is in fact a generic hack! Thank you so much! I shall go and read something original and worthwhile, works by masters such as Goodkind and Paolini!

Daze
2010-03-03, 05:36 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: It is pointless creating a TV show of an unfinished series. HBO should know better. :smallmad:

The Mountain That Does Not Stick To Deadlines?
LMAO

That is one of the funniest things I've read in a while man, thanks.

Back to topic.
Although I'm totally peeved at the complete lack of production from ol' GRRM visa vie Dance with Dragons, I must confess that the officiality of this HBO series is making me salivate. I heard the rumor years ago and it seems like it's finally going to happen.

Awesome, awesome, awesome. HBO is the premiere production house in the WORLD. I'm talking TV, Film, whatever...
Can you imagine which actors for which roles they're gonna use? The guys and gals from Rome alone would make me happy!

Now let's just hope Mr. Martin's age and weight dont get the better of him before he pens the final chapter for A Dream of Spring (tentative title for book 7). That would seriously make me cry.

EDIT: Apparently the casting has already been set. Duh. Let me take a read!

EDIT 2: Looks like a solid group of actors. There's a couple key roles missing as of yet though. The Hound for one.

YorickBrown
2010-03-03, 05:48 PM
Daze, they have cast The Hound. here is the cast list along w/ headshots for everyone who has been cast for the pilot

http://www.liftingfaces.com/uploads/got_castsofar.jpg

1. Sean Bean as Lord Eddard Stark
2. Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister
3. Jennifer Ehle as Lady Catelyn Stark
4. Tamzin Merchant as Daenerys Targaryen
5. Lena Headey as Queen Cersei Lannister
6. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Ser Jaime Lannister
7. Mark Addy as King Robert Baratheon
8. Kit Harington as Jon Snow
9. Richard Madden as Robb Stark
10. Isaac Hempstead-Wright as Bran Stark (unconfirmed)
11. Maisie Williams as Arya Stark
12. Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark
13. Jack Gleeson as Prince Joffrey Baratheon
14. Ron Donachie as Ser Rodrik Cassel (unconfirmed)
15. Iain Glen as Ser Jorah Mormont
16. Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen
17. Joseph Mawle as Benjen Stark (unconfirmed)
18. Rory McCann as Sander Clegane
19. Alfie Owen-Allen as Theon Greyjoy
20. Jamie Campbell Bower as Ser Waymar Royce
21. Richard Ridings as Gared
22. Bronson Webb as Will
23. Esme Bianco as Ros*

*not in the book, created specifically for the pilot

Daze
2010-03-03, 06:19 PM
Daze, they have cast The Hound. here is the cast list along w/ headshots for everyone who has been cast for the pilot

Thanks Yorick. I think that'd be helpful for everyone else too.

I still feel like we're missing someone though and for the life of me I can't think of who it is. Not a minor role, but a somewhat major one...

Ugh, I hate getting old. My brain is slowly transmorphing into swiss cheese it seems.

YorickBrown
2010-03-03, 06:52 PM
well they haven't cast anyone who was not in the pilot...

the roles of characters like Littlefinger, Varys, Tywin, Barristan Selmy, Bronn, Renly, etc etc, have not yet been filled

Dienekes
2010-03-03, 06:54 PM
Thanks Yorick. I think that'd be helpful for everyone else too.

I still feel like we're missing someone though and for the life of me I can't think of who it is. Not a minor role, but a somewhat major one...

Ugh, I hate getting old. My brain is slowly transmorphing into swiss cheese it seems.

Maester Luwin?

YorickBrown
2010-03-03, 07:00 PM
Maester Luwin?

weird that he's not on that list, b/c he has been cast

http://www.radiotimes.com/content/features/galleries/sarah-jane-adventures/12/mainImage.jpg

Donald Sumpter

Daze
2010-03-03, 07:07 PM
Bah... maybe I'll remember later.

Gonna have to do a re-read of the first four again anyways, it's been too long. (This would actually be my third re-read)

Can't wait to see a direwolf though!

comicshorse
2010-03-03, 09:09 PM
Hmmm Sean Bean playing a role where he dies violently. Is he being typecast or what

warty goblin
2010-03-03, 09:29 PM
Hmmm Sean Bean playing a role where he dies violently. Is he being typecast or what

Does he ever not die a violent, pathos filled death? I mean even when he's a villian, he pulls it off. Although it's gonna be hard to top getting shot through a copy of Yeats in Equilibrium...

Closet_Skeleton
2010-03-04, 02:33 PM
Does he ever not die a violent, pathos filled death? I mean even when he's a villian, he pulls it off. Although it's gonna be hard to top getting shot through a copy of Yeats in Equilibrium...

...Sharpe?

WalkingTarget
2010-03-04, 02:39 PM
Does he ever not die a violent, pathos filled death?

Odysseus. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_%28film%29) He got off easy there.

Relatively.

Considering they didn't make a sequel.

Dienekes
2010-03-04, 04:09 PM
He got off easy there.

Relatively.

Considering they didn't make a sequel.

Which is a pity really, Odysseus would have made a great addition to the Sean Bean Death Squad (http://www.digitalpimponline.com/strips.php?title=movie&id=229)