PDA

View Full Version : Adult swim new program contest

toddex
2010-03-02, 09:50 PM
http://www.adultswim.com/promos/bkbuns2010/index.html

So far the only one ive seen worthy of anything is Soul quest over drive.

Mando Knight
2010-03-02, 11:00 PM
And by "worthy of anything" I take it you mean "still couldn't make it anywhere outside Adult Swim."

It's a fact that Adult Swim is incapable of determining decent programming outside of getting licenses to various dubbed anime.

Fan
2010-03-02, 11:05 PM
Mando's got it pretty much right.

Dubbed anime is literally all they have.

I mean, who SERIOUSLY watches Squidbillies, or.. Anything else on Adult Swim?

Innis Cabal
2010-03-02, 11:19 PM
Because, you know, none of their self made shows have ever been succesful. None of them had been made into movies. CD's. Anything like that. Nope. Only Anime that they show for less then one night a week.

Jayngfet
2010-03-02, 11:23 PM
I've watched most Adult swim stuff. Admittedly at the hour when I get bored enough to resort to Adult swim there really isn't anything else on, so I don't have a lot of options. Though I will admit to liking Frisky Dingo.

Revya
2010-03-02, 11:48 PM
Adult Swim's ok. I watch Aqua Teen Hunger Force and their unedited Family Guy reruns.

Out of those four new shows, I like Cheyenne Cinnamon the most. Yappy Broads was winning when I voted, though.

Fan
2010-03-02, 11:52 PM
Because, you know, none of their self made shows have ever been succesful. None of them had been made into movies. CD's. Anything like that. Nope. Only Anime that they show for less then one night a week.

You watch Squidbillies?

You sadden me.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-03-03, 12:13 AM
Harvey Birdman.
The Brak Show.
Metalocalypse.
Robot Chicken.
Superjail!

Anyone who denies that Adult Swim has occasionally good shows has just been pwned.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2010-03-03, 12:35 AM
Doesn't matter what anyone says, Squidbillies IS funny. If Family Guy is still allowed to have new episodes, then Squidbillies is funny. Yes that is absurd, but so is the show.

As far as Adult Swim goes, they have a tendency to do something no other channel will; experiment. Seriously, go to any other channel and most of the shows will all be the same.

Monk, Psyche, Castle, and the Mentalist. What do they all have in common? They're a show about a quirky detective (or in the case of Castle, ex-detective) with an odd or special quality that sets them apart from absolutely nobody.
Adult Swim tends to push the boundaries and showcase new, often retarded programming.

It used to be very tame. In fact I miss the old shows. However, there is still gold on that channel if you're willing to put televisual prejudice aside. Seriously, most people I have talked to hate AS simply because they want to.

Awesome shows that I love:
Moral Orel: Best show to come out of AS as of the last decade. Dino Stomatopalous is a genius.

Squidbilles: It's funny, if you can't see why I can understand why. But it's not a show that requires a brain to watch.

Harvey Birdman, Brak Show, and Sealab: Genuinely funny. Once again they're shows that don't require you to think, and they do a good job presenting the humor.

Frisky Dingo: Just hilarious.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force: I just feel bad for people who dislike it.

Robot Chicken: Hilarity until the very end.

And that's all I can think of right now. There's a REASON they only show anime about once a week.

Dr.Epic
2010-03-03, 12:36 AM
Hasn't that Cheyenne Cinnamon thing been shown on Squidbillies?

chiasaur11
2010-03-03, 12:40 AM
Snake N' Bacon lost?

Well. Shame on humanity as a whole.

Dr.Epic
2010-03-03, 12:42 AM
Snake N' Bacon lost?

Well. Shame on humanity as a whole.

That sounds kind of awesome but I have my doubt from just looking at it.

Jayngfet
2010-03-03, 12:44 AM
Cheyenne Cinnamon doesn't seem to have much of anything going on with it. It seems to be the tired old "broken child star" thing, only with a vague uber girly magical bent. It seems to be little more than badly animated fan disservice.

deuxhero
2010-03-03, 12:44 AM
It's a fact that Adult Swim is incapable of determining decent programming outside of getting licenses to various dubbed anime.

Pre-revival Family Guy wasn't that bad (though the new stuff=eh)

Poison_Fish
2010-03-03, 01:02 AM
The lack of venture brothers here disturbs me.

chiasaur11
2010-03-03, 01:08 AM

Yeah, haven't seen it (keep meaning to) so I can't comment, but that just seemed weird.

Innis Cabal
2010-03-03, 01:11 AM
You watch Squidbillies?

You sadden me.

I never said that I did. Point out where I said that in the quote. Its garbage. But there are other shows they've made that arn't. Lets not assume shall we? We know what that makes us, after all.

thubby
2010-03-03, 01:11 AM

you know, i loathed that show when it got started but it seems to have really changed from season 1.

As far as Adult Swim goes, they have a tendency to do something no other channel will; experiment. Seriously, go to any other channel and most of the shows will all be the same.
Adult Swim tends to push the boundaries and showcase new, often retarded programming.

there's a difference between experimenting and throwing crap at a wall to see what sticks. adult swim is doing the later.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-03-03, 01:45 AM

I am ashamed of myself.

Dr.Epic
2010-03-03, 01:49 AM

"To the Monarch Mobile!"

Optimystik
2010-03-03, 01:59 AM
Harvey Birdman.
Robot Chicken.

The only two on that list that I watch.
Other good shows: Venture Brothers, Moral Orel, Boondocks and ATHF. And yes, I miss Sealab.

But when did they start with the live action crapfest? Saul of the Molemen, Tim & Eric, etc. That (plus Squidbillies etc.) put me off Adult Swim Sundays.

Dr.Epic
2010-03-03, 02:03 AM
Harvey Birdman.
The Brak Show.
Metalocalypse.
Robot Chicken.
Superjail!

Anyone who denies that Adult Swim has occasionally good shows has just been pwned.

You forgot the Venture Bros

Coplantor
2010-03-03, 06:51 AM
Here in Uruguay AS is only a two hour block, they had Harvey Birdman, Brak Show, Aqua Teen, Sealab, Spaceghost Coast to Coast, Robot Chicken, squidbillies ans 12 oz mouse and Venture Bros.

From all of the above, squidbillies was my least favourite I guess, I still watched it, then there was 12 oz mouse... wich was... just... too weird for the human mind.

Venture brothers and aqua teen are made of pure awesome. I watch family guy in FX, and I really like the new episodes, as much as the old ones actually.

Viera Champion
2010-03-03, 07:02 AM
the only thing I ever watched on adult swim, was Inuyasha, ONCE. And heck, I don't even remember if that was on adult swim or not.

Fan
2010-03-03, 08:13 AM
I never said that I did. Point out where I said that in the quote. Its garbage. But there are other shows they've made that arn't. Lets not assume shall we? We know what that makes us, after all.

It all seems like smut to me... It's all overly sexualized to me, I mean you literally can't tell me there isn't a Adult Swim original show that doesn't have at least 4 or 5 sex jokes in every episode.

Admittedly Venture Bros does have it's moments, and Metaocolypse is pretty good in it's own right, but one or two shows just doesn't make it for me.

Zen Monkey
2010-03-03, 09:04 AM
Korgoth of Barbaria

Forget the new contest, just go make more of that like they should have in the first place. If you haven't seen it, you can find the whole pilot (in pieces) on youtube.

bosssmiley
2010-03-03, 09:19 AM
Expect them to pick the worst of the lot and "fund it!". Assy McGee, Perfect Hair Forever, Tom Goes to the Mayor and 12 Oz Mouse got series; Korgoth of Barbaria didn't. :smallannoyed:

Sealab 2021, Venture Bros, Metalocalypse, and Squidbillies ftw though.

I mean, who SERIOUSLY watches Squidbillies, or.. Anything else on Adult Swim?

[Unknown Hinson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IL_pbFbYK0)] "Dang it! If yuz watchin' Squidbillies seriously yez doin' in WRANG! Yu shuld wutch Squidbillies sprawled on a manky couch wearing only grubby keks and a John Deere peaked cap, and wasted on delicious, refreshing, eyesight-destroying Glug." [/Hinson]

Fan
2010-03-03, 10:07 AM
Expect them to pick the worst of the lot and "fund it!". Assy McGee, Perfect Hair Forever, Tom Goes to the Mayor and 12 Oz Mouse got series; Korgoth of Barbaria didn't. :smallannoyed:

Sealab 2021, Venture Bros, Metalocalypse, and Squidbillies ftw though.

[Unknown Hinson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IL_pbFbYK0)] "Dang it! If yuz watchin' Squidbillies seriously yez doin' in WRANG! Yu shuld wutch Squidbillies sprawled on a manky couch wearing only grubby keks and a John Deere peaked cap, and wasted on delicious, refreshing, eyesight-destroying Glug." [/Hinson]

Yeah... If I have to be intoxicated to enjoy crappy art (don't even say it's quality, I've never taken a art class, and I can do better.), poor story line, a raging sterotype in every episode, crappy animation, and bad jokes...

Then I simply wont enjoy the show, and the fact that you have to be wasted to enjoy it just makes it worse.

Coplantor
2010-03-03, 10:55 AM
The "I've never taken art classes and I can do better" argument is invalid once you come across very simple things of high quality, I believe that all of us here can do better than the XKCD art, I'm not trying to say that squidbillies is XKCD good, but that saying that you or anyone else can do it better is not really a good point.
Besides, it's more animated than Aqua Teen Hunger Force wich I enjoy even more

toddex
2010-03-03, 12:10 PM
{Scrubbed}

Optimystik
2010-03-03, 01:13 PM
{Scrubbed}

It seems to me that both King of the Hill and South Park do the exact same thing, with much better art, animation and humor. (I realize the irony of comparing South Park animation to anything, but at least it comes out ahead in this instance.)

{Scrubbed}

I'm sure they're not the absolute worst of late-night TV or anything, but I just don't feel they had a place on CN/AS. And when it's a choice between that, Archer, Reno 911 and I love the 90's (or just playing video games) for me, I'm not going to hesitate very long on whether I should watch a very low-budget show featuring men in bad costumes leaping around in front of a green screen, and taking valuable screentime away from animated shows.

Mando Knight
2010-03-03, 09:34 PM
Harvey Birdman.
The Brak Show.
Metalocalypse.
Robot Chicken.
Superjail!

I'm not saying that Adult Swim has never had put on good shows, I'm saying they can't tell the difference. Even Robot Chicken and Metalocalypse vary wildly in episode quality: sometimes it's the Star Wars special, other times it's nothing but farting and retards... and they know it.

Lord Seth
2010-03-03, 10:58 PM

Monk, Psyche, Castle, and the Mentalist. What do they all have in common? They're a show about a quirky detective (or in the case of Castle, ex-detective) with an odd or special quality that sets them apart from absolutely nobody.And they're all better than pretty much any Adult Swim original.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-03-03, 11:09 PM
You forgot the Venture Bros

I know. Hence, I acknowledged that I missed it and said I was ashamed of myself :smalltongue:

I'll be the first to say that AS is very fifty-fifty on their shows, but, damn, those shows that they do good with, they do real good.

Fawkes
2010-03-03, 11:19 PM
Harvey Birdman.
The Brak Show.
Metalocalypse.
Robot Chicken.
Superjail!

I'm not 100% sure of what side you're advocating.

I like Metalocalypse and Robot Chicken.

And Venture Brothers is one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I'm not saying that Adult Swim has never had put on good shows, I'm saying they can't tell the difference. Even Robot Chicken and Metalocalypse vary wildly in episode quality: sometimes it's the Star Wars special, other times it's nothing but farting and retards... and they know it.

I think it's less that 'they can't tell the difference' and more that they're just not afraid to fail. No one can really guarantee from a pilot whether a show will be a hit. It's always a gamble. Most networks like to play close to the chest, since if the shows tank, they lose piles of money. Adult Swim likes to take risk on cheaper shows with stupid sounding premises that no one in their right mind would greenlight (seriously, just try pitch a show about talking food products), and every once in a while, they hit one out of the park.

If they have to make some bad shows at the same time, that's fine with me.

Boo
2010-03-03, 11:38 PM
Foxy Mecha, I think the thing that gets to most watchers is that the people at Adult Swim tend to cancel the really good shows in place of the ones that aren't nearly as good (or are just really, really bad).

I'm not speaking for everyone here; this is just an inferred observations.

Mando Knight
2010-03-03, 11:43 PM
I think it's less that 'they can't tell the difference' and more that they're just not afraid to fail. No one can really guarantee from a pilot whether a show will be a hit. It's always a gamble. Most networks like to play close to the chest, since if the shows tank, they lose piles of money. Adult Swim likes to take risk on cheaper shows with stupid sounding premises that no one in their right mind would greenlight (seriously, just try pitch a show about talking food products), and every once in a while, they hit one out of the park.

If they have to make some bad shows at the same time, that's fine with me.

I'm pretty sure it's mostly not being able to tell the difference between actual quality and toilet humor. When a good number of your advertised programs are written/produced by the Seths (Green and MacFarlane) and at least half of your shows feature drug addicts, something's wrong.

Ten years ago, I could sit down on Saturday morning for four hours straight watching mostly decent-quality animation that was funnier, more intelligent, and more mature (not in the "sex, drugs, foul language, and violence" sense) than 70% of Adult Swim's original programming. The problem is that Adult Swim currently sees that their main audience likes shows like Family Guy, so they produce more of it because it makes money.

Fawkes
2010-03-03, 11:51 PM
I'm pretty sure it's mostly not being able to tell the difference between actual quality and toilet humor. When a good number of your advertised programs are written/produced by the Seths (Green and MacFarlane) and at least half of your shows feature drug addicts, something's wrong.

Ten years ago, I could sit down on Saturday morning for four hours straight watching mostly decent-quality animation that was funnier, more intelligent, and more mature (not in the "sex, drugs, foul language, and violence" sense) than 70% of Adult Swim's original programming. The problem is that Adult Swim currently sees that their main audience likes shows like Family Guy, so they produce more of it because it makes money.

http://www.court-records.net/animationgk/miles-shrug(d).gif

To your first point, McFarlane does not produce any shows for Adult Swim. Green produces two. I can't comment on the drug addict angle, except to say that it doesn't really matter to me what 'half' of the AS shows are doing.

To your second point, I agree that 70% of AS original programming is terrible, and that's probably being generous. Sturgeon's Law is definitely applicable, perhaps even more than usual.

I never said the AS model was a great system. But it does occasionally produce some great programming, and to me, that's worth having a bunch of bad shows on the air, too.

Mando Knight
2010-03-04, 12:14 AM
To your first point, McFarlane does not produce any shows for Adult Swim.

Family Guy and American Dad! are both MacFarlane's fault, and are both run and advertised on Adult Swim. Don't remember if the Cleveland Show is also on there, but that's another one of his shows.

rayne_dragon
2010-03-04, 12:24 AM
I find Adult Swim to be fairly hit or miss. They have shows that are either really awesome to me, or just absolutely medicore and slightly distasteful.

Moral Orel and Metaloclyspe are two of my absolute favourite shows.

Lord Seth
2010-03-04, 12:39 AM
Family Guy and American Dad! are both MacFarlane's fault, and are both run and advertised on Adult Swim. Don't remember if the Cleveland Show is also on there, but that's another one of his shows.I think what he was saying was that he doesn't make them for Adult Swim; he makes them for Fox. Fox just decided to start also airing them on Adult Swim.

Also, his "fault"? I'm not going to argue with someone hating on the later Family Guy episodes, but American Dad is pretty good.

Fawkes
2010-03-04, 12:40 AM
Family Guy and American Dad! are both MacFarlane's fault, and are both run and advertised on Adult Swim. Don't remember if the Cleveland Show is also on there, but that's another one of his shows.

I'm not sure what the relevance is. I thought we were talking about Adult Swim in-house productions.

Fan
2010-03-04, 04:47 AM
I think what he was saying was that he doesn't make them for Adult Swim; he makes them for Fox. Fox just decided to start also airing them on Adult Swim.

Also, his "fault"? I'm not going to argue with someone hating on the later Family Guy episodes, but American Dad is pretty good.

Eh, I find American Dad to be in bad taste personally....

But hey Opinions! They're all valid, but they all differ!