PDA

View Full Version : Warforged and Undead Fixes

Geiger Counter
2010-03-02, 11:16 PM
I find the warforged to be interesting potential characters, however their is no way they are ECL 0 with that many immunities.

Also I would love to hear how DMs handle undead player campaigns.

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-02, 11:21 PM
I find the warforged to be interesting potential characters, however their is no way they are ECL 0 with that many immunities.

Also I would love to hear how DMs handle undead player campaigns.Warforged are about tied with dwarves, and are only slightly stronger than humans (and sometimes are actually less awesome than the lowly homo sapiens).

Warforged are good, but not always the best option.

Seems like a balanced paradigm to me.

Runestar
2010-03-02, 11:27 PM
I have always loved the idea of a good undead party which specializes in taking down monsters normally too tricky for normal players, such as mindflayers, medusas and bodaks, but no mean feat for them because their undead traits makes them immune to these otherwise debilitating attacks.

Never managed to find enough interest in it though. :smallsigh:

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-02, 11:30 PM
I have always loved the idea of a good undead party which specializes in taking down monsters normally too tricky for normal players, such as mindflayers, medusas and bodaks, but no mean feat for them because their undead traits makes them immune to these otherwise debilitating attacks.

Never managed to find enough interest in it though. :smallsigh:Hey, I love my little evolved undead necropolitan kobold.

Of course, being a gestalt psion//factotum does have its advantages as well...

Frosty
2010-03-02, 11:35 PM
Do Warforged have brains? Can Mindflayers extract them?

PinkysBrain
2010-03-02, 11:50 PM
Warforged become a little less over the top with their immunities if you reintroduce the held condition as a separate status effect again (so immunity to paralysis doesn't prevent you from being held).

DragoonWraith
2010-03-03, 12:00 AM
Is anyone else incredibly amused that this thread comes less than a week after the thread asking why anyone would ever want to play a Warforged? I am.

Anyway, Warforged are good but Human Bonus Feat > Living Construct Immunities, for a very large number of classes. Plus Humans have a net ability modifier of 0, while Warforged are -2 - Cha and Wis aren't as important as Con, but still.

Yes, Warforged are better than a lot of other races. But that's because a ton of races are awful. At least Warforged, unlike most races, are a meaningful choice over Human.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-03, 12:00 AM
Do Warforged have brains? Can Mindflayers extract them?

warforged are made out of metal (there is a feat that gets rid of this) stone, wood, leather and magic. So no and no.

Warforged are immune to poison (a class feture of high level durids), they don't breath, and with a feat at the first level their armor is better than adamantine fullplate. Also expect for rust monsters, warforged are completely unappealing to carnivores.

faceroll
2010-03-03, 12:05 AM
warforged are made out of metal (there is a feat that gets rid of this) stone, wood, leather and magic. So no and no.

Warforged are immune to poison (a class feture of high level durids), they don't breath, and with a feat at the first level their armor is better than adamantine fullplate. Also expect for rust monsters, warforged are completely unappealing to carnivores.

It's actually strictly worse than adamantine fullplate.

Greenish
2010-03-03, 12:08 AM
Is anyone else incredibly amused that this thread comes less than a week after the thread asking why anyone would ever want to play a Warforged? I am.Me too, but then the value of different abilities depends a lot on the game.

a feat at the first level their armor is better than adamantine fullplateIt's strictly worse than adamantine full plate.

[Edit]: Damn, ninjaed on the plate. Teaches me to visit bathroom before hitting send… :smallamused:

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-03, 12:11 AM

Warforged are immune to poison (a class feture of high level durids), they don't breath, and with a feat at the first level their armor is better than adamantine fullplate. Also expect for rust monsters, warforged are completely unappealing to carnivores.I fully expect Carnivore (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=12125) to refute that allegation.

Frosty
2010-03-03, 12:15 AM
They're also immune to disease I think, a mid-level paladin ability.

hiryuu
2010-03-03, 12:18 AM

...if no exception is called out, warforged are just as vulnerable as anything else. I would imagine they have an odd fungus/wood growth in lieu of a brain, or some other nerve-system mimicking magical cascade effect in the same place. After all, they can fail Will saves like everyone else (in fact, they're a bit more susceptible, thanks to -2 Wis), unless they go Juggernaut.

Admiral Squish
2010-03-03, 12:26 AM
...if no exception is called out, warforged are just as vulnerable as anything else. I would imagine they have an odd fungus/wood growth in lieu of a brain, or some other nerve-system mimicking magical cascade effect in the same place. After all, they can fail Will saves like everyone else (in fact, they're a bit more susceptible, thanks to -2 Wis), unless they go Juggernaut.

Extract: This ability is useless against Construsts, elementals, oozes, plants,and undead.

Abbreviated, but that's straight from the MM.

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-03, 12:29 AM
Warforged make perfect psion/illithid slayers, that's for sure.

Claudius Maximus
2010-03-03, 12:30 AM
I fully expect Carnivore (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=12125) to refute that allegation.

I doubt it, since he apparently hasn't logged in since 1969.

Runestar
2010-03-03, 12:38 AM
Warforged can also alter self into astral constructs. Which can in turn be shaped to look like whatever they want. How cool is that? :smallamused:

chiasaur11
2010-03-03, 12:45 AM
Warforged can also alter self into astral constructs. Which can in turn be shaped to look like whatever they want. How cool is that? :smallamused:

Do they make choo-choo-ch-chnkt noises when they do it?

hiryuu
2010-03-03, 12:49 AM
Extract: This ability is useless against Construsts, elementals, oozes, plants,and undead.

Abbreviated, but that's straight from the MM.

Well, there you go.

Not like it matters much. How many people have died from extraction?

Optimystik
2010-03-03, 01:29 AM

With all due respect, I'm going to go with Keith Baker's opinion on this one.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-03-03, 01:30 AM
Do they make choo-choo-ch-chnkt noises when they do it?

I believe the phrase you are looking for is "Transform and roll out!"

chiasaur11
2010-03-03, 01:33 AM
I believe the phrase you are looking for is "Transform and roll out!"

Well, if they're good.

If they're evil, the phrase is "Transform and rise up!"

The noise is common to both groups.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-03, 02:21 AM
I'm thinking I'll just take away their ability score penalties and make them LA+1

Zaq
2010-03-03, 02:24 AM
I'm thinking I'll just take away their ability score penalties and make them LA+1

Why? That would make them pretty much not worth it. If you can't imagine your players being able to not worry about poison, then just ban them rather than stealth-nerfing them.

Anterean
2010-03-03, 02:41 AM
Well, there you go.

Not like it matters much. How many people have died from extraction?

Happened surpricingly often for my baldur's gate 2 party... ooh I hated illithids

JaronK
2010-03-03, 02:46 AM
Humans, Gnomes, and Kobolds are really strong for 0LA. So are Dragonborn Water Orcs. But Warforged? Meh.

JaronK

hiryuu
2010-03-03, 02:47 AM
Happened surpricingly often for my baldur's gate 2 party... ooh I hated illithids

Well, that's Baldur's Gate 2, where when you get the coolest power in the game (The Slayer), you're already a zillion times better than anything it can give you, and rogues are the best option because of Black Isle's love affair with them.

Even so, you have, good sir, by reminding me of it, forced me to reinstall.

Also, just to make this relevant, has anybody got any alternate body feats they feel like posting on the homebrew board?

Runestar
2010-03-03, 04:40 AM
The mindflayer's extract ability does seem truly worthless.

It is unlikely to be winning any grapple checks based on its own merit (barring some wacky build like the wizard grappler which maxes out its grapple check). The only time it will use extract is probably when the player is stunned, and the flayer may as well just CDG with a scythe instead. Even if the damage does not kill them, the fort save will. :smallamused:

AslanCross
2010-03-03, 06:39 AM

Ability score penalties and bonuses at most give +1 or -1. It's only when the race starts giving +4s that the effect is notable.

Also, while there is a big list of immunities, these don't always come into play. The most common would likely be poison and disease immunity. The others, not so much. Just how often would you have a campaign where you have your party running non-stop?

Runestar
2010-03-03, 06:43 AM
Ability score penalties and bonuses at most give +1 or -1. It's only when the race starts giving +4s that the effect is notable.

Also, while there is a big list of immunities, these don't always come into play. The most common would likely be poison and disease immunity. The others, not so much. Just how often would you have a campaign where you have your party running non-stop?

Warforged can craft non-stop without having to stop for rest, so they can theoretically produce thrice the output compared to humans. There has to be a way to abuse this...:smallcool:

Cyclocone
2010-03-03, 06:49 AM
Warforged can craft non-stop without having to stop for rest, so they can theoretically produce thrice the output compared to humans. There has to be a way to abuse this...:smallcool:

You can only craft for 8 hours per day.

pffh
2010-03-03, 06:51 AM

Lyre of building. :smallwink:

Tyrmatt
2010-03-03, 07:06 AM

QFT. Even mentioned in OotS.

I'd have to dig around to find it but the World of Warcraft d20 book I think had a toned down version of the Forsaken in it. In the original WCd20 they were utter powerhouses, immune to so many many things. I think the WoWd20 book corrected it though. If someone's got it, an undead fix could perhaps be sought out of that.

Volkov
2010-03-03, 07:08 AM
Warforged make perfect psion/illithid slayers, that's for sure.
Ahem, Soldiers and Warhulks of thoon plus enslaved beings>Warforged in my experience. Also, Ultralithid Psions have a funny habit of exterminating 3/4ths of the warforged species. (it's something of a running gag in both mine and my last dm's games)

Optimystik
2010-03-03, 07:44 AM
Lyre of building. :smallwink:

So that's where Ravnica came from.

Ahem, Soldiers and Warhulks of thoon plus enslaved beings>Warforged in my experience. Also, Ultralithid Psions have a funny habit of exterminating 3/4ths of the warforged species. (it's something of a running gag in both mine and my last dm's games)

Pfft. My Psiforged Erudite Crystal Master could curbstomp an Ulitharid with ease.

Volkov
2010-03-03, 08:02 AM
So that's where Ravnica came from.

Pfft. My Psiforged Erudite Crystal Master could curbstomp an Ulitharid with ease.

Level 190 Ultralithid? (As of now, he's been delegated to a ruling power in our former group's joint campaign setting.)

Optimystik
2010-03-03, 08:12 AM
Level 190 Ultralithid? (As of now, he's been delegated to a ruling power in our former group's joint campaign setting.)

Cardinal rule - If it has stats, it can be killed.

(Particularly by a tier 1-0 class.)

Volkov
2010-03-03, 08:21 AM
Cardinal rule - If it has stats, it can be killed.

(Particularly by a tier 1-0 class.)

Epic implosion power, your char dies instantly with no saving throw.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-03-03, 08:24 AM
This is off-topic and we should be ashamed.

AstralFire
2010-03-03, 09:05 AM

You really do have a fascination with high levels.

On-Topic: Warforged are fine. They are, in some cases, better than a human for a given class. They are often worse. They are actually balanced to be able to stand against dwarves and humans, unlike the elf, half-elf, and half-orc which are synonymous with 'terrible.' Do not alter them. I'm inclined to say that if you really think +2 Con, no stat penalties (Cha and Wis won't even affect so many classes) and a number of immunities that are mostly irrelevant by level... 5 or 6? is worth an LA +1, you should be cautious about effecting balance changes.

Drascin
2010-03-03, 09:35 AM

Wha? But there's no way anything could reach level 190. For one, in most settings not even the gods give you any experience points once you're past 60-70 or so, as they're all hovering around level 40, with the biggest ones barely approaching 55-60...

Volkov
2010-03-03, 09:36 AM
Wha? But there's no way anything could reach level 190. For one, in most settings not even the gods give you any experience points once you're past 60-70 or so, as they're all hovering around level 40, with the biggest ones barely approaching 55-60...

My last DM had a fascination with the big. His deities were way stronger than anything presented in the ddg.

Coplantor
2010-03-03, 09:37 AM

If you consder the time it takes to reach lvl 190, it probably started when 2nd edition was still around and creating magic items gaved you XP and was just recently translated to third edition :smalltongue:

Volkov
2010-03-03, 09:44 AM
If you consder the time it takes to reach lvl 190, it probably started when 2nd edition was still around and creating magic items gaved you XP and was just recently translated to third edition :smalltongue:

We started at level 100 and ended at 175. We were at first destroying a tavern and ended up slayng an argajag expy in the shape of a all powerful penguin as the surprise final boss. Most fun I ever had.

Coplantor
2010-03-03, 09:46 AM
We started at level 100 and ended at 175. We were at first destroying a tavern and ended up slayng an argajag expy in the shape of a all powerful penguin as the surprise final boss. Most fun I ever had.

Can I play with you? Please?

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-03, 10:30 AM
On a slightly more relevant note, what happens if you use bonus feats (and/or flaws) to take more than one Warforged Body feat, such as Adamantine Body using your 1st level feat, and Psiforged Body using your psychic warrior bonus feat? Add in Unarmored Body and Ironwood Body with your flaws, if you're a masochist.

Also, if you want to craft more than one thing at a time, using dedicated wright homunculi. Stash in a portable hole for more fun.

Coplantor
2010-03-03, 10:59 AM
I dont think you can choose more than one of those feats, the plating occupies the armor slot, so, in the same way you cannot wear an armor over your armor (or your plating), you cannot have a plating over your plating.
Since DnD is not a videogame (at least pen and paper DnD) you cannot make the system to crash, unless, of course, yo go pun pun.

Greenish
2010-03-03, 11:15 AM
I dont think you can choose more than one of those feats, the plating occupies the armor slot, so, in the same way you cannot wear an armor over your armor (or your plating), you cannot have a plating over your plating.
Since DnD is not a videogame (at least pen and paper DnD) you cannot make the system to crash, unless, of course, yo go pun pun.You could take, say, Adamantine Body and Unarmored Body, since the latter doesn't add armor. Not to mention that the warforged armor feats don't actually add new armor, they modify the existing one.

Of course, these are purely academic musings.

Coplantor
2010-03-03, 11:17 AM
You could take, say, Adamantine Body and Unarmored Body, since the latter doesn't add armor. Not to mention that the warforged armor feats don't actually add new armor, they modify the existing one.

Of course, these are purely academic musings.

How? Then you are just unarmored so you might as well just take unarmored body.

Tar Palantir
2010-03-03, 11:24 AM
To the OP, warforged are relatively balanced with the other good LA 0 races (humans and dwarves, mainly). The only potential concern is in parties composed entirely of warforged (or undead), where the universal party immunity can be more readily abused (ie dropping Stinking Cloud over the entire battlefield to force everyone but you to save each round vs suck), but that is more a concern of running a high-powered game than nerfing the races themselves, and a price is paid for that convenience: Int and Cha penalties mean arcane casters are less effective as warforged and social skills will likely suffer. Just because sometimes people are willing to pay the price for those benefits doesn't mean it's free.

Comparing to dwarves (the clearest equal in terms of power level and type), forged have slightly worse stats and immunities to a few specific (relatively minor) things, while dwarves are resistant to a large number of common things (between +2 to saves vs all spells and +4 vs most combat maneuvers like trip), with some minor stuff thrown in for each (it should also be noted that it is almost necessitated that a forged take some kind of body feat, as the base plating sucks and cannot be replaced with purchased armor). Overall, about even, IMHO.

Greenish
2010-03-03, 11:26 AM
How? Then you are just unarmored so you might as well just take unarmored body.How? By taking a flaw and picking both feats, of course.

Why? Well, of course you wouldn't take them both, hence I said the whole thing is just a theoretical one. :smallbiggrin:

[Edit]:
Int and Cha penalties mean arcane casters are less effective as warforged and social skills will likely suffer. Warforged have Wis and Cha penalty, not Int.

kamikasei
2010-03-03, 11:29 AM
Int and Cha penalties mean arcane casters are less effective as warforged and social skills will likely suffer.

Of course, warforged in fact have penalties to Wis and Cha and so a warforged wizard is sitting pretty.

Coplantor
2010-03-03, 11:31 AM
How? By taking a flaw and picking both feats, of course.

Why? Well, of course you wouldn't take them both, hence I said the whole thing is just a theoretical one. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, thank god, for a moment there I thought I was about to fall into a spiral endless discussion about effects that makes no sense but somehow they are there in the game, and once I look up looking for some sort of explanation I cower in madeninf fear once I notice that Cthulhu is the dungeon master.
And he is not happy.

Greenish
2010-03-03, 11:33 AM
Oh, thank god, for a moment there I thought I was about to fall into a spiral endless discussion about effects that makes no sense but somehow they are there in the game, and once I look up looking for some sort of explanation I cower in madeninf fear once I notice that Cthulhu is the dungeon master.
And he is not happy.Iä! Iä! Cthulhu F'tahng!

[Edit]: And since I'm here, I might even contribute to the topic: warforged are a good race. There are several others that are on equal standing with them. They don't need no fiddlin'.

faceroll
2010-03-03, 11:58 AM
The mindflayer's extract ability does seem truly worthless.

It is unlikely to be winning any grapple checks based on its own merit (barring some wacky build like the wizard grappler which maxes out its grapple check). The only time it will use extract is probably when the player is stunned, and the flayer may as well just CDG with a scythe instead. Even if the damage does not kill them, the fort save will. :smallamused:

Stunned creatures are not helpless, and thus not eligible for a coup de grace.

Gadora
2010-03-03, 02:37 PM
Of course, warforged in fact have penalties to Wis and Cha and so a warforged wizard is sitting pretty.

If you ignore the 5% arcane spell failure chance from the composite plating.

Ravens_cry
2010-03-03, 02:47 PM
Or take Unarmoured Body for nill.

Sliver
2010-03-03, 02:55 PM
Even divine casters won't suffer that much.. Not casting offensive save-able spells is not that hard for clerics or druids... They just need at least the scores to cast their spells and can live without the bonus spells..

Greenish
2010-03-03, 03:11 PM
Or take Unarmoured Body for nill.Or if you start at higher levels, you can get Twilight enchant on your plating.

Optimystik
2010-03-03, 03:49 PM
Epic implosion power, your char dies instantly with no saving throw.

If it has stats. It can be killed.

Or take Unarmoured Body for nill.

Or just... be a psion. Warforged are good at that...

AslanCross
2010-03-03, 05:27 PM

5% ASF is about as bad as a fighter having a 5% chance of missing his attack by rolling a natural 1.

Ravens_cry
2010-03-03, 05:47 PM
Or just... be a psion. Warforged are good at that...
Or be a wizard with unarmourd body. If they wanted to play a psion, they would be a psion.

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-03, 07:45 PM
Or be a wizard with unarmourd body. If they wanted to play a psion, they would be a psion.You can be a psion and be a warforged too. :smallconfused:

Geiger Counter
2010-03-03, 10:46 PM
Compare the warforged to a human with the renegade master maker or the green star adept PrC and you'll see what I'm talking about. I think they are still affected by charm/hold person, but if they aren't I'll house rule that they are. Also They now need to breath. Also they are now affected by energy drain.

Does anyone have ideas of dangers specific to warforged other than the rust monster?

AslanCross
2010-03-03, 11:02 PM
Compare the warforged to a human with the renegade master maker or the green star adept PrC and you'll see what I'm talking about. I think they are still affected by charm/hold person, but if they aren't I'll house rule that they are. Also They now need to breath. Also they are now affected by energy drain.

Does anyone have ideas of dangers specific to warforged other than the rust monster?

A renegade mastermaker is an artificer. Regardless of what race it is, it's going to outdo the warforged in terms of making up for his fleshy weakness.

And Green Star Adept? Really? It's not so much that the Warforged is overpowered, it's that the Green Star Adept is bad. It's like saying a ham sandwich is the best food on earth because sewer sludge doesn't quite give the same flavor.

They aren't affected by Charm and Hold Person because those specifically work on humanoids, and Warforged are constructs. However, they are still affected by Fear effects and other Mind-Affecting spells, like Illusions.

As for energy drain, that immunity is easy to match. At the level at which the PCs are fighting monsters with energy drain or wizards who can cast enervation, your cleric is likely to have death ward. Unless you're going to throw Energy Draining-monsters at your party every encounter every day, I think it's alright to have one guy brave the monster's life-draining touch and hold him down while the others finish it off one encounter per day. What's so wrong about that? (Besides, warforged are NOT immune to Ability Damage or Ability Drain, so shadows and wraiths can quickly make short work of them.)

Let me just ask---why are you so worried about the warforged's immunities? Each of those immunities is about as situational as an elf's immunity to sleep magic. I've played a warforged before and the only immunity that has ever come into play is his immunity to poison.

If you want a way to deal with warforged, kill him with solid damage. In my entire current campaign, that's how the two warforged characters died. :P

They're even subject to critical hits (albeit you deal with Light Fortification first) and don't heal damage naturally. I've always found that in a party without an artificer, it's very difficult to make that Craft check to repair yourself.

Gadora
2010-03-03, 11:29 PM
5% ASF is about as bad as a fighter having a 5% chance of missing his attack by rolling a natural 1.

I'd agree if we were talking about a warlock, but since there is a limit on spells per day, and since Murphy's Law is in effect...

What book is unarmored body from?

Sliver
2010-03-04, 12:11 AM
I'd agree if we were talking about a warlock, but since there is a limit on spells per day, and since Murphy's Law is in effect...

What book is unarmored body from?

Know that book warforged are from? That campaign book? With feats? Yeah, the feats. :smalltongue:

V: hmm.. Looks like it.. Was sure it wasn't..

Teron
2010-03-04, 12:19 AM
Unarmoured Body is from Races of Eberron, actually.

Ashiel
2010-03-04, 12:41 AM
A +1 LA for a warforged would ruin them. They're already mostly suited for martial based classes (which generally aren't that powerful compared to their caster friends), and to get their better features (mithril or adamantine body) must spend their only 1st level feat; so Warforged have something of a feat tax by default.

Their inability to swap armor is actually a severe drawback. You see, by default they have crappy armor and can't wear armor. They have to spend a feat to get better armor. In the case of Adamantine Body, it needs to be better 'cause it's the last armor you're ever going to wear - period. There will be no deciding that you'd like to trade AC for speed. You will be in full-plate, and you will have to like it. :smalltongue: Essentially, you're trading a feat for something everyone else can get with some money.

Then they are like half-orcs with a net -2 penalty to their ability scores, which isn't bad next to their +2 constitution (since who doesn't use constitution in one form or another). Their major immunities include Poison. Disease is actually a fairly minor problem is most games I've seen; and usually lacks the immediate kick that poison does, unless dealing with supernatural diseases like Mummy Rot; and immunity to stunning and fatigue. They have other benefits and immunities, but really, they do give up a lot.

Further, it's worth noting that their racial type actually hurts them in a number of situations. They aren't valid targets for popular and powerful spells such as enlarge person (the the psionic equivalent expansion will work for them, it doesn't become as good until higher levels when the warforged's racial powers mean less anyway).

Their healing problems also are a drawback, but can be overcome with planning or sometimes with a party of warforged. This however is a similar issue to having a party of characters with Tomb Tainted Soul (I had a group in a tabletop who got together and decided to play a shadow cult; so I had a 4 PC party consisting of level 5 negative energy channeling, undead animating, spontaneous inflicting clerics with tomb tainted soul).

Truly, OP; to me and I'm guessing a lot of people here, you seem to be knee-jerking. It's worth noting that Warforged are different. It is a different ball-game GMing with Warforged. They don't sleep, eat, or breathe. They shouldn't. They're sentient partially living golems. Just remember that different != better.

When the ECS came out, lots of people screamed "OMG warforged are broken!", but time and experience has taught us differently. I've run quite a few Eberron games and non-Eberron games I allowed Warforged in (with slightly different fluffs), and they're really not so bad.

The one thing I can think of that they actually can do that really is pretty awesome, sweet, cool, and effective, is wield a Life Drinker without getting hosed.

:smallsmile:

Temotei
2010-03-04, 12:46 AM
I doubt it, since he apparently hasn't logged in since 1969.

I am "oh so" surprised no one commented on this other than you.

AstralFire
2010-03-04, 01:38 AM

RMM is a PrC for one of the most powerful classes in the game, Green Star Adept is absolutely terrible.

Runestar
2010-03-04, 02:04 AM
Or be a wizard with unarmourd body. If they wanted to play a psion, they would be a psion.

Why waste a feat? Do dragonborn to get rid of that composite armour for free! :smallamused:

Hurlbut
2010-03-04, 02:04 AM
A +1 LA for a warforged would ruin them. They're already mostly suited for martial based classes (which generally aren't that powerful compared to their caster friends), and to get their better features (mithril or adamantine body) must spend their only 1st level feat; so Warforged have something of a feat tax by default.

Their inability to swap armor is actually a severe drawback. You see, by default they have crappy armor and can't wear armor. They have to spend a feat to get better armor. In the case of Adamantine Body, it needs to be better 'cause it's the last armor you're ever going to wear - period. There will be no deciding that you'd like to trade AC for speed. You will be in full-plate, and you will have to like it. :smalltongue: Essentially, you're trading a feat for something everyone else can get with some money.
Actually they have a third option beside Mithral or Adamantine Body; Unarmored body if I understand right allow the warforged to wear robes or armor normally like other humanoids. Still a feat tax, but it give them same freedom as the humanoids in body wear department.

Sliver
2010-03-04, 02:06 AM
Why waste a feat? Do dragonborn to get rid of that composite armour for free! :smallamused:

Now a dragonborn warforged with one of the body feats is interesting to see..

absolmorph
2010-03-04, 02:25 AM
This is Volkov we're talking about. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131305)

On topic, the only really over-powered thing is if they get a Lyre of Building and can always make the Perform check. Then, they can just build a tunnel through the mountains while their party hangs out, rather than going over/around them.

EDIT: Oh, and the LA only matters a lot until level 6, if buy-off is allowed.

Tiktakkat
2010-03-04, 03:12 AM
Actually they have a third option beside Mithral or Adamantine Body; Unarmored body if I understand right allow the warforged to wear robes or armor normally like other humanoids.

They actually have six options in total:
1. Standard Composite Plating
2. Adamantine Body
3. Mithral Body
4. Ironwood Body
5. Psiforged Body
6. Unarmored Body

All but the first cost a feat.

Devils_Advocate
2010-03-04, 10:26 PM
(It's "there", not "their".) This is incorrect. Warforged have LA +0. The reason that everyone is telling you that they aren't overpowered is that they aren't.

Seriously, compare their immunities to dwarves' save bonus against spells. Roughly 10% of the time that a dwarf is affected by a spell or a spell-like effect that allows a save, this bonus is what allows him to make the save instead of failing it. The warforged's immunities are absolute, but they protect against things that less commonly present a significant threat than spells and spell-likes.

with a feat at the first level their armor is better than adamantine fullplate.
Debatably. And at the price of a feat.

Also expect for rust monsters, warforged are completely unappealing to carnivores.
Several things in the game are a mechanical advantage in that they allow you to have fewer encounters per day. This one is relatively minor, since the warforged is probably going to be part of a party that includes people made of meat. And likely to be the designated tank, meaning that beasties targeting the soft fleshy people instead is bad.

It's actually strictly worse than adamantine fullplate.
Free Light Fortification. Plus it contributes 50 lbs less to your encumbrance because it counts as part of your body instead of equipment.

I think that something somewhere says that while warforged can only focus on one project for 8 hours per day, they can work on three different projects for the whole day.

Their list of racial traits in the Eberron Campaign Setting gives several spells that effect them due to their composition.

Anyway... The warforged could do with some minor tweaking, I think. Here are my thoughts:

Their immunities aren't really unbalanced, but they are inconsistent. They don't seem to have any obvious commonalities, which not only makes it hard to make sense of them from a fluff perspective but makes them hard to remember. So I recommend removing their immunities to paralysis and energy drain. Then they're just immune to all forms of poison, sickness, tiredness, starvation, and suffocation. This seems much easier to remember. (For that matter, swap out elementals' immunity to stunning and paralysis for that stuff as well. Come on, a fire elemental can't be paralyzed but it can be diseased? If anything, it should be the other way around.)

That they can be energy drained means that you need to figure out what happens to them when they get energy drained to death, but that's true for all sorts of nonhumanoid creatures that shouldn't turn into wights.

The built-in armor is sort of a nuisance. In the likely event that composite plating isn't appropriate to the build you want, you have to work around that somehow. Feats allow warforged characters armor that would be well worth a feat for a human at level 1 and quite overcosted at the price of a feat at high levels, so it's dynamically unbalanced. The advantage of light fortification seems dubious next to the benefit of being able to swap out armor, to the point where it seems questionable that House Cannith would have created the warforged with composite plating in the first place. Wouldn't a more heavily armored, even if slower-moving, soldier generally be more desirable, meaning that they would have done better to make warforged just capable of wearing regular armor? I feel inclined to say so, and that therefore it makes more sense just to get rid of composite plating, effectively giving all warforged the Unarmored Body feat.