PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Any news on the monk class?

Kwinza
2010-03-03, 03:44 AM
Hey guys i was wondering if anyone had heard anything about the Dex/Str build of the monk yet?
or any other new niceitys?

Cheers ^_^

Vulkarius
2010-03-03, 09:32 AM
Don't have my PC near by but if you can download character builder. They have alot from PHB3 including the monk.

Blackfang108
2010-03-03, 09:45 AM
Don't have my PC near by but if you can download character builder. They have alot from PHB3 including the monk.

But he's specifically asking about the OTHER build, the one that isn't avaliable yet.

Mando Knight
2010-03-03, 02:30 PM
We'll need to wait for PHB3's release, which is this month.

Draz74
2010-03-03, 02:50 PM
There's a Q&A going on with people who got the PHB3 early, over here (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=501232). I believe they've answered some questions about the other Monk builds.

Frosty
2010-03-03, 03:09 PM
I haven't checked out the monk yet. Hopefully 4e is the answer to monks sucking? :smallbiggrin:

Reynard
2010-03-03, 03:21 PM
Well, it was the answer to both Bards and Warlocks sucking. And any other non-magic class past level 10.

Hzurr
2010-03-03, 03:28 PM
I haven't checked out the monk yet. Hopefully 4e is the answer to monks sucking? :smallbiggrin:

The only build they've previewed so far is the monk with a greater emphasis on controllers. I had one in my party for a little while (he didn't survive the encounter with the mindflayer. Well, he survived, but his free will didn't), and they're...interesting. Some quick thoughts:

1) So mobile it's terrifying. Seriously, a monk with move speed of 8-9 is not bizarre.
2) lots of pushing, pulling, tripping.
3) Their damage "schtick" (like the rogue's sneak attack, warlock's curse, hunter's quary, etc) is their flurry of blows ability. It doesn't do as much damage as the others, but you have the choice of applying it to either the primary target, or adjacent targets, so if you want to beat up on the big-bad while simultaniously taking out the minions that are surrounding you, it's pretty simple