PDA

View Full Version : Bestow Curse question

Forever Curious
2010-03-03, 11:48 AM
Can a character be under the effect of multiple curses through the use of Bestow Curse?

Nich_Critic
2010-03-03, 11:54 AM
I need to re-read spell stacking rules, but my instinct is that the answer is yes if each curse is doing something different, and no if it's attempting to penalize the same thing.

For example, you could bestow curse on will, and then make them lose 50% of their actions, but you couldn't bestow curse on will twice.

Evard
2010-03-03, 01:19 PM
First off I love that spell

First off squared, number 2 is correct since there is no stacking going on if the spell is attacking different parts. Like prismatic sphere/wall, the spell effects the same target multiple times if the target walks into it multiple times even if it is the same spell. The spell can effect different parts of the target at separate times or all at once.

faceroll
2010-03-03, 01:25 PM
The most recent casting of Bestow Curse overrides all other castings of the spell. If you give them a 50% chance of doing nothing, they can't also have a penalty to their wisdom.

Relevant rule:
Same Effect with Differing Results

The same spell can sometimes produce varying effects if applied to the same recipient more than once. Usually the last spell in the series trumps the others. None of the previous spells are actually removed or dispelled, but their effects become irrelevant while the final spell in the series lasts.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#stackingEffects

Note that nowhere in the Bestow Curse spell does it provide an exception to that rule.

Lysander
2010-03-03, 01:30 PM
Huh...so you could technically partially "cure" a curse by casting a new less harmful curse on them.

Evard
2010-03-03, 01:38 PM
If that's how you determine the rules. You could always get a magic item that always curses the wearer with an effect from certain curses that you don't mind having. With bestow curse you could make it a -3 to two scores (that you don't really need)... This bestow curse would always be generating therefore if you are hit with a -6 to a score then this item the next round would hit you with -3 to the two you don't need etc etc

icefractal
2010-03-03, 01:44 PM
You may also invent your own curse, but it should be no more powerful than those described above.You don't even need to do that - you could just cast a custom curse with almost no effect, such as "you take a -1 to Will saves during sunrise and sunset", and override any other curse with that.

Kylarra
2010-03-03, 01:57 PM
The most recent casting of Bestow Curse overrides all other castings of the spell. If you give them a 50% chance of doing nothing, they can't also have a penalty to their wisdom.

Relevant rule:
Same Effect with Differing Results

The same spell can sometimes produce varying effects if applied to the same recipient more than once. Usually the last spell in the series trumps the others. None of the previous spells are actually removed or dispelled, but their effects become irrelevant while the final spell in the series lasts.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#stackingEffects

Note that nowhere in the Bestow Curse spell does it provide an exception to that rule.Note the example provided in the original sourcebook is a polymorph spell where subsequent uses of polymorph would render the previous castings of the spell irrelevant. Yes that is a "fluff" description that was removed upon being stored in SRD, but it does clarify what the intent was.

Multiple castings of Bestow Curse, provided the curses chosen are all different, should "stack" under the rules, as there is no reason for them not to. There is really no stacking involved if they provide penalties to different things or different effects.

faceroll
2010-03-03, 02:05 PM
Note the example provided in the original sourcebook is a polymorph spell where subsequent uses of polymorph would render the previous castings of the spell irrelevant. Yes that is a "fluff" description that was removed upon being stored in SRD, but it does clarify what the intent was.

Multiple castings of Bestow Curse, provided the curses chosen are all different, should "stack" under the rules, as there is no reason for them not to. There is really no stacking involved if they provide penalties to different things or different effects.

RAW, they don't stack.
RAI, you can do whatever you want.

ericgrau
2010-03-03, 02:08 PM
Huh...so you could technically partially "cure" a curse by casting a new less harmful curse on them.

Possibly, although remove curse is the same level as bestow curse so I don't see why you would. Unless that's all you have prepared today.

Kylarra
2010-03-03, 02:15 PM
RAW, they don't stack.
RAI, you can do whatever you want.RAW there's no stacking involved. You don't refer to rules about stacking, unless there is stacking involved. A -6 penalty to dex and a 50% chance to not act aren't the same penalty or penalizing the same thing.

Spells or magical effects usually work as described, no matter how many other spells or magical effects happen to be operating in the same area or on the same recipient. Except in special cases, a spell does not affect the way another spell operates.

Note that even the text you're citing as applicable doesn't deal in absolutes.

Thurbane
2010-03-03, 02:29 PM
There is evidence for both interpretations as RAW, but I'm firmly of the belief that the same spell can be in effect multiple times on the same creature, so long as each casting has a different effect. You can, for example, have Resist Energy (Fire), Resist Energy (Cold), and Resist Energy (Acid) all in effect on a creature at the same time. Not that it's RAW, but I'm pretty sure the official FAQ backs this up.

Sliver
2010-03-03, 02:40 PM
Not that it's RAW, but I'm pretty sure the official FAQ backs this up.

It is a RAW interpretation. Because, like said above by Kylarra, it is not stacking.

Personally, like I won't let a player override fire resistance by casting acid resistance, I won't say that one curse overrides a different one that has no direct interaction with it.

ericgrau
2010-03-03, 03:17 PM
Hmm, after much searching and to my surprise I couldn't find anything to back up the notion that casting the same spell twice with different options overrides the first casting.

That makes resist energy a bit more useful.

magic9mushroom
2010-03-03, 03:24 PM
Hmm, after much searching and to my surprise I couldn't find anything to back up the notion that casting the same spell twice with different options overrides the first casting.

That makes resist energy a bit more useful.

Most certainly does. :smalltongue:

Ernir
2010-03-03, 03:27 PM
Possibly, although remove curse is the same level as bestow curse so I don't see why you would. Unless that's all you have prepared today.

Or you could be a non-prepared caster, and simply not know Remove Curse. :smalltongue: