PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Is there a simple template for what I'm looking for?!

Jergmo
2010-03-03, 12:28 PM
So, I have an NPC that I want to be bigger and tougher than the average joe - lovely boosts to strength and constitution, all that jazz. I've been looking through the various templates, and...

I don't want to make him a robot hellspawn doomthing that was made by a screwed up Necromancer impregnating a zombie, or some kind of wild monster man that has claws. Is there no template that just plain makes you more physically powerful? :smallconfused:

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-03, 12:29 PM
lolth touched
half minotaur
mineral warrior

Volthawk
2010-03-03, 12:31 PM
Paragon?
Might be a bit too powerful though

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-03, 12:33 PM
Godtouched (MM5)?

BRC
2010-03-03, 12:35 PM
Give him the elite Array?
Stat him as Bugbear or an Orc, fluff him as a whatever.

Kaiyanwang
2010-03-03, 12:36 PM
I second Lolthtouched. +6 Str +6 Con, immune to fear and few bonus to skills.

+1 LA.. refluff it if does not fit, and it's done.

Schylerwalker
2010-03-03, 12:38 PM
Lolthtouched gets a third vote. Excellent template. However, I also really like Monster of Legend. +10 to Strength and Constitution, for one, and it gets a bunch of other really awesome stat boosts and special abilities.

Jergmo
2010-03-03, 12:40 PM
All good, thank you. :smallsmile: I know where Lolth-touched comes from...but what about Monster of Legend? Also, I thought it only applied to animals?

Malificus
2010-03-03, 12:41 PM
Monster of Legend is MM2

arguskos
2010-03-03, 12:41 PM
Half-Minotaur, Godtouched, Monster of Legend, something like that works best honestly.

Also, I do like Feral, you can just say the claws are actually unique claw bracers. :smallwink:

Volthawk
2010-03-03, 12:42 PM
Another idea. Just make him stronger and tougher.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-03, 12:47 PM
All good, thank you. :smallsmile: I know where Lolth-touched comes from...but what about Monster of Legend? Also, I thought it only applied to animals?

MM2. IIRC, Magical Beasts, Animals, Vermin, Monsterous Humanoids, and some others. It changes them into Outsiders.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-03, 12:48 PM
I'm going to say that, for a no-nonsense physically stronger template, Lolth-touched is a poor choice. What I mean is, that template's supposed to be balanced by the fact that you now have to deal with Lolth, the notably insane spider queen of the Drow. She's dangerous to be associated with; she very well might kill for no reason at all. And I think that's supposed to come with Lolth-touched, you're supposed to have to deal with having to please her, which is quite difficult to do. Removing that facet of the template, and it loses a lot of what made it work - and not just fluff-wise, but mechanically, too, I think. That really seems like the opposite of what the OP wanted...

hamishspence
2010-03-03, 12:51 PM
DMG2 has a set of NPC unique abilities, with LAs.

Prodigy could work- it can be taken for any stat.

It grants a +4 bonus to all checks based on that stat (including skill checks, and ability checks)

In addition, you get +2 to that stat.

EDIT: Have corrected it- I accidentally missed out the 2.

Zom B
2010-03-03, 12:54 PM
I don't want to make him a robot hellspawn doomthing that was made by a screwed up Necromancer impregnating a zombie

Well there goes the template I was going to suggest.

Jergmo
2010-03-03, 12:56 PM
Well there goes the template I was going to suggest.

:smallbiggrin:

DMG has a set of NPC aunique abilities, with LAs.

It grants a +4 bonus to all checks based on that stat (including skill checks, and ability checks)

Oh, nifty - I had no clue stuff like that was in there.

Malificus
2010-03-03, 12:59 PM
Oh, nifty - I had no clue stuff like that was in there.

That's because that's DMG2 pg 157.

Jergmo
2010-03-03, 01:03 PM
That's because that's DMG2 pg 157.

Oh. Didn't see that you edited it, thanks.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-03-03, 01:45 PM
How about the Stoneboned mutation from Dragon 350 (p36)? (Gives you Powerful Build. At a pretty high price though...)

Since it occurs to me that you might not have access to Dragon, I think all you need to know for it is on page 22 of the 3.5 Index of Templates (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.0Index-Templates.pdf)

Volthawk
2010-03-03, 01:46 PM
How about the Stoneboned mutation from Dragon 350 (p36)?

since it occurs to me that you might not have access to Dragon, I think all you need to know for it is on page 22 of the 3.5 Index of Templates (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.0Index-Templates.pdf)

The index has 17 pages :smallconfused:

lsfreak
2010-03-03, 01:54 PM
You could just arbitrarily up the size one category. Gives you your boost to Str, Con and natural armor. Should be +1CR according to the back of the DMG. Combine that with an elite array of some sort (whether the one in the book or something that's better). That should get you, what... +13Str +8Con? or something in that region.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-03-03, 02:02 PM
The index has 17 pages :smallconfused:

Oops... must have linked the wrong one. The one I have on my HD has 59.... searching... Yup looks like I accidentally linked the 3.0 index:smallredface: I'm gonna go ahead and blame that one having been awake ~26 hours. Here's (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Templates.pdf) the right one. Sorry.
----------------------------------------------------
Also, if it's an NPC in your own game... can't you just set the stats at whatever you want? (Rule 0, the DM is right...)

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-03-03, 02:48 PM
DMG2 has a set of NPC unique abilities, with LAs.

EDIT: Have corrected it- I accidentally missed out the 2.Isn't that the spice up your NPC thing for LA? Even the text says something along the lines of WARNING BLANTANTLY OVERPOWERED, DO NOT LET PCs USE.

Volthawk
2010-03-03, 02:49 PM
Isn't that the spice up your NPC thing for LA? Even the text says something along the lines of WARNING BLANTANTLY OVERPOWERED, DO NOT LET PCs USE.

Er...

This is for a NPC, so that doesn't matter

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-03, 04:59 PM
Er...

This is for a NPC, so that doesn't matter

So why do you even need a template? Just give him higher stats...

awa
2010-03-03, 05:31 PM
take a golem give him the template that makes him a humanoid or giant

Kelb_Panthera
2010-03-03, 07:38 PM
take a golem give him the template that makes him a humanoid or giant

That's incarnate construct, from Savage Species btw.