PDA

View Full Version : Lizardfolk Ambush character? 3.5 help needed

Rosalinath
2010-03-03, 12:42 PM
I am making a character for a E6 3.5 game.the idea is for a d&d version of the american revolution, with lizardfolk being the equivalent of native americans. the details aren't out yet but my guess is that the combat will be ground and seafaring combat and with the land environment being islands and swamps.

my idea is to make a poisondusk lizardfolk (+1LA) Swift Hunter (Ranger/Scout+ Swift Hunter feat) who uses thrown weapons such as bolas, nets, and javelins as well as a martial melee weapon that I haven't chosen yet. I plan on exploiting my characters Small size and swimming abilities to my advantage. On the ground I want to trip and net enemies to distract them, weeding them out when their helpless.

any ideas? comment?

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-03, 12:53 PM
I am making a character for a E6 3.5 game.the idea is for a d&d version of the american revolution, with lizardfolk being the equivalent of native americans. the details aren't out yet but my guess is that the combat will be ground and seafaring combat and with the land environment being islands and swamps.

my idea is to make a poisondusk lizardfolk (+1LA) Swift Hunter (Ranger/Scout+ Swift Hunter feat) who uses thrown weapons such as bolas, nets, and javelins as well as a martial melee weapon that I haven't chosen yet. I plan on exploiting my characters Small size and swimming abilities to my advantage. On the ground I want to trip and net enemies to distract them, weeding them out when their helpless.

any ideas? comment?

I really like the concept, and want to say the following:

1. Add the Feral Template from SS. I realise it's an additional +1 LA, but it matches the "theme"

2. Use the "Champion of Nature" variant ranger for the ranger. Its in Complete Champ. Bonus feats over the mediocre spellcasting. If you like spellcasting, go with a Spirit Shaman/Scout.

3. Swift Tracker is an excellent start, as is Expertise and other "speedy" feats.

4. If your DM allows traits, take Quick and Aggressive. Yes, its a -1 to HP/lv, and -1 AC but an initiative boost and a speed boost are more than worthy (at least in my opinion)

5. I definately also suggest a shortspear (maybe Deep Crystal for that "native flavor") and a light wood shield, and ask your DM if you can tie a net to the end of your javelines. Also invest in a shortbow and arrows.

6. Wear natural armors (such as hide or leather) and (flavor only) go for him having a Maori-Type warpaint on his face/Tattoo. This will give a level of terror for your character.

Welcome for the Suggestions

Rosalinath
2010-03-03, 01:12 PM
2, 4, 5: yes to them all!

I forgot to mention this: there is no magic besides magic items in the world. Its E6 so I only have 3 effective feats for my character (dunno if we'll stop at lv. 6 or not)

As for armor I'm hoping to keep my chameleon skin from being a poisondusk lizardfolk so Is there any armor that doesn't impede on the ability? if not then is there an alternative to armor that won't cost an arm and a leg?

I love the Maori warpaint idea ^^ I was thinking about that so I'll add it for flavor.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-03, 01:54 PM
2, 4, 5: yes to them all!

I forgot to mention this: there is no magic besides magic items in the world. Its E6 so I only have 3 effective feats for my character (dunno if we'll stop at lv. 6 or not)

As for armor I'm hoping to keep my chameleon skin from being a poisondusk lizardfolk so Is there any armor that doesn't impede on the ability? if not then is there an alternative to armor that won't cost an arm and a leg?

I love the Maori warpaint idea ^^ I was thinking about that so I'll add it for flavor.

I suggest also using flaws (Murky-Eyed and Weak Willed [due to lo magic]) for two more feats

as for the armor, then ditch the armor and just deck him out in tribal tats. i also suggest taking some ranks in Preform [Dance] to be able to preform a Maori Wardance

Rosalinath
2010-03-03, 02:08 PM
the preform is weird :smallconfused: not hating on your suggestion, I love the idea, but wouldn't intimidate work more effectively?

fluff wise body tattoos work perfectly. its the AC that I'm worrying about. there are no clerics so Damage is really scary.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-03, 02:11 PM
the preform is weird :smallconfused: not hating on your suggestion, I love the idea, but wouldn't intimidate work more effectively?

fluff wise body tattoos work perfectly. its the AC that I'm worrying about. there are no clerics so Damage is really scary.

Amulet of Natural Armor is your friend...As is its ring and belt equivelants

And I meant to use both simoultaneously

Rosalinath
2010-03-03, 02:15 PM
thats true :smallcool:

and magic items are probably scarce. plus i already get +3 natural armor for being a badass lizard :smallamused:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-03, 02:15 PM
Do ring, amulet and belt of natural armor stack? AFAIK the don't since they bestow the same type of bonus (enchancement). and

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-03, 02:18 PM
Do ring, amulet and belt of natural armor stack? AFAIK the don't since they bestow the same type of bonus (enchancement). and

They supposedly stack, at least according to my DM

lsfreak
2010-03-03, 02:24 PM
They supposedly stack, at least according to my DM

Your DM is wrong. Same bonus type, they don't stack. Amulet of Natural Armor with a Ring of Deflection would stack, as they're different types.

Unarmored, tattoos, wardances... give them something unique, don't just tack on every bad, romanticized noble savage cliche.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-03, 02:27 PM
Your DM is wrong. Same bonus type, they don't stack. Amulet of Natural Armor with a Ring of Deflection would stack, as they're different types.

Unarmored, tattoos, wardances... give them something unique, don't just tack on every bad, romanticized noble savage cliche.

However, there's a belt that adds adodge bonus to AC, then an amulet of Nat Armor, and a ring of deflection would be nice overall AC.

And well excuse me... I meant he could draw from the Maori and the Zulu for the sheer flavor of being a savage. He could also only speak in draconic for the savage-esq flavor.

Rosalinath
2010-03-03, 02:35 PM
I understand that all these ideas combined seem kinda silly but have no fear! I plan on talking to my dm for permission to create the culture for my poisondusk tribe.

is there any way that I could get the monks Wisdom bonus to AC, or something similar, for my swift hunter?

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-03, 02:36 PM
I understand that all these ideas combined seem kinda silly but have no fear! I plan on talking to my dm for permission to create the culture for my poisondusk tribe.

is there any way that I could get the monks Wisdom bonus to AC, or something similar, for my swift hunter?

If i'm (hopefully) not mistaken, Monk's Belt adds Wis to AC

Rosalinath
2010-03-03, 02:41 PM
I don't believe so but even if it did thats way too expensive :smalleek: Its E6 remember?

I think I'll just enjoy the natural armor for now (especially if we start at lv. 2) What I really do need is advice on how many levels I should take in scout and ranger to use the swift hunter feat in a optimized fashion

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-03, 02:43 PM
I don't believe so but even if it did thats way too expensive :smalleek: Its E6 remember?

I think I'll just enjoy the natural armor for now (especially if we start at lv. 2) What I really do need is advice on how many levels I should take in scout and ranger to use the swift hunter feat in a optimized fashion

I'd say for ECL 6, I'd do Ranger 2/Scout 4, then past 6, advance scout for maybe 4 more levels, than take a PrC (That Chieftan PrC from Minis Handbook/Sword and Fist is fair game)

Rosalinath
2010-03-03, 02:46 PM
alrighty :smallcool: now does anyone have any advice on poison? what the most cost effective poison? poisondusk lizardfolk get poison use for free so I don't want to waste it :smalltongue:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-03, 02:48 PM
Well the standard for Swift hunter is scout 3/Ranger 17, but since you are in E6 you should go LA1/Scout 3/Rgr 2 unless you ask for waiving (or paying the LA of Poison dusk, personally I would consider to ask for a waiving off, Poison Duks Lizardfolk don't warrant their LA IMHO.

Also obligatory link (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=103.0)

Edit: Alim the minimum scout level for taking swift hunter is 3 you nead skirimish +1d6/+1AC

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-03, 02:50 PM
I actually suggest looking in Book of Vile Darkness, which has a list of good poisons. I'd focus primarilly on poisons that either deal ability damage or Negative levels

Rosalinath
2010-03-03, 02:50 PM
thank you for you advice and link ^^ I'll ask about the waive or buyoff.

faceroll
2010-03-03, 02:51 PM
alrighty :smallcool: now does anyone have any advice on poison? what the most cost effective poison? poisondusk lizardfolk get poison use for free so I don't want to waste it :smalltongue:

Get craft: poisons, so you can make poison at 1/3 the listed price, salvage it from things you kill, etc.

Greenish
2010-03-03, 02:52 PM
These weren't written with E6 in mind, but they might help you:
Swift Hunter handbook. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=103.0)
Archery handbook. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=642.0[/URL)
Poison handbook. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0)
[Edit]: Poison Dusk Lizardfolk are about equal to Whisper Gnomes, so don't be surprised if your DM won't waive the LA.