PDA

View Full Version : Many, many attacks...

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-03-03, 12:42 PM
Ok, I'm making a half-marrilith thri-kreen which ends up gaining 8 attacks. 6 claws, 1 bite, 1 tail slap.

Now, this creature is only technically a CR 2. I will be adding levels to it to ramp it up to a CR 16, and hopefully a 'mean' CR 16 at that.

So what 14 levels would you suggest to make him a master of many limbs?

arguskos
2010-03-03, 12:43 PM
Ok, I'm making a half-marrilith thri-kreen which ends up gaining 8 attacks. 6 claws, 1 bite, 1 tail slap.

Now, this creature is only technically a CR 2. I will be adding levels to it to ramp it up to a CR 16, and hopefully a 'mean' CR 16 at that.

Totemist, hands down.

Also, where's Half-Marilith?

BRC
2010-03-03, 12:45 PM

Rogue would be nasty. Give it some flanking buddies and let the Sneak Attacks Fly.
I think 14th level duskblades can channel on a full attack, but I think that has to be a full attack with one weapon.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-03, 12:49 PM
Totemist 4/Swordsage 4. Grab the Kruthik Claws soulmeld and load up on Tiger Claw/Setting Sun maneuvers.

Amphetryon
2010-03-03, 12:53 PM
Someone link this man to Ejo's monstrosity on BG.

KellKheraptis
2010-03-03, 12:55 PM
I like Arcane Strike with that many natural weapons :)

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-03-03, 12:57 PM
Totemist, hands down.

Also, where's Half-Marilith?
Half-fiendish using the customization rules by fiendish parent:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630x

Also, this isn't for me, was just doing the template and then looking for some levels, so not sure exactly what they want. Though I have Magic of Incarnum never really made anything from it.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-03, 01:16 PM
Someone link this man to Ejo's monstrosity on BG.

Done and done. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=146.0)

tcrudisi
2010-03-03, 01:24 PM
It's been a long time since I played 3.5, but there was a PrC which allowed you to grow multiple limbs. I combined it with something else and was getting 30+ attacks in a round.

Yeah, that's helpful. Sheesh. Uhh... I can't remember what the name of the PrC that allows you to grow extra limbs was, but it does require either Polymorph or Wild Shape as a prereq.

Eloel
2010-03-03, 01:33 PM
It's been a long time since I played 3.5, but there was a PrC which allowed you to grow multiple limbs. I combined it with something else and was getting 30+ attacks in a round.

Yeah, that's helpful. Sheesh. Uhh... I can't remember what the name of the PrC that allows you to grow extra limbs was, but it does require either Polymorph or Wild Shape as a prereq.

You're thinking Warshaper.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-03, 02:13 PM
Depends on how you read the Soul Eater's energy drain ability you can deal a NASTY amount of negative levels.

on the plus side I has good BAB, all good saves and a decent HD d8 IIRC

Person_Man
2010-03-03, 02:14 PM
Psychic Warrior is always an option. I know a DM who allows Claws of the Beast to apply to all claw attacks (I don't). Even if it only applies to 2 of his claws, using it with Claws of the Beast, Expansion, Hustle, and Hostile Empathic Transfer makes for a nasty encounter.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-03, 02:31 PM
I like splitting levels into the following:

Swordsage 5/Psi Warrior 5/Totemist 5/Souleater 5 or one of the earlier 3 5 more levels if you want to be No Fun (er...I mean non-evil)

although personally, I'd do a Monk/Ranger build using Unorthodox Flurry(Longbow) and hold 4 Greatbows and use Greater Manyshot (which "Technically" stacks with FoB) to make my foes fight in the shade from the amount of arrows that'd fly

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-03-03, 02:51 PM
Ok, focus guys.

It's a half-marrilith thri-kreen. Thus no weirdo racial qualifications for obscure Oriental Adventure feats or the like.

Also, 14 levels in a class. That's it.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-03, 02:55 PM
Ok, focus guys.

It's a half-marrilith thri-kreen. Thus no weirdo racial qualifications for obscure Oriental Adventure feats or the like.

Then Totemist 7/Lion Totem Barbarian 7

vanyell
2010-03-03, 02:57 PM
Would it not make sense to grab dervish? allowing you to move around while full attacking and if you can swing it getting double attacks once a day?

Greenish
2010-03-03, 03:00 PM
Would it not make sense to grab dervish? allowing you to move around while full attackingThat's what Spirit Lion Totem barbarian is for. Or Travel Devotion.

FishAreWet
2010-03-03, 03:00 PM
Would it not make sense to grab dervish? allowing you to move around while full attacking and if you can swing it getting double attacks once a day?

You'd need a LOT of movement to make every attack.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-03, 03:01 PM
That's what Spirit Lion Totem barbarian is for. Or Travel Devotion.

It's a modified Leap Rager build. With 8+ attacks per full round. and a near-full BAB.

sofawall
2010-03-03, 03:02 PM
Ok, focus guys.

One class?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-03-03, 03:37 PM
One class?
As many as you like.

Oooh, and forgot, thrikreen get +30 to jump checks. If I max out jump skill and with stat mod that's more than a +50. I'd like to work that to its advantage.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-03, 03:53 PM
Warblade 14. Tiger Claw and Diamond Mind focus, a touch of Stone Dragon (for the Constrict stance), Iron Heart (obviously), and maybe a little White Raven (for Charging, not WRT).

krossbow
2010-03-03, 03:58 PM
demons will breed with anything these days.

lsfreak
2010-03-03, 03:58 PM
Thematically, a totem rager. Adds more natural attacks, gets you rend on your claws.

For pure nastiness, a sneak-attack (shadow) pouncer build with a level in Soul Drinker if you can manage it. Since it's natural weapons, you'll have a significantly higher attack bonus than your run-of-the-mill rogue for most of your attacks, allowing you drop a huge amount of damage and negative levels on someone.

EDIT: Guess it doesn't need to be a shadow pouncer, any pouncer will work.

Keld Denar
2010-03-03, 04:05 PM
demons will breed with anything these days.

These days? Try every day...since the beginning of time. Demons are the most promiscuous creature (more than dragons!), and that includes most D&D settings and RL mythology.

magic9mushroom
2010-03-03, 04:35 PM
Why would a half-marilith thri-kreen have 6 claw attacks?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-03-03, 04:45 PM
Why would a half-marilith thri-kreen have 6 claw attacks?
Thri-kreen have 4, mariliths have 6. The guy though is asking for a very difficult encounter for its level, so decided in this hellish union it gained an extra pair just to make it a little tougher without actually pushing it past level 16.

strider24seven
2010-03-03, 05:00 PM
Perhaps take levels in Ardent (or even Psion) and take Exp. Knowledge (Form of Doom) for 4 more tentacle attacks:smalleek:!

Don't forget the Braidblade! And get some item (or scrolls) to cast Girallon's Blessing on you.

And levels in Warshaper can, depending on your interpretation, let you make infinite natural weapons as long as you're in an alternate form, which, again depending on your interpretation, can count Form of Doom.

Oh, yeah... +1 for ToB (shadow)pouncing shenanigans:smallcool:.

Curmudgeon
2010-03-03, 05:09 PM
There's an answer to the Dervish movement problem. You add in the usual things that increase ground movement, then double it with a graft: Feathered Wings (from Fiendish Folio), which give flight at 2x land speed. There's nothing in the Dervish Dance description which requires ground contact, so you'll be dancing in the air at 5' altitude. :smallsmile:

Endarire
2010-03-03, 05:17 PM
Nonassociated class levels only count as 1/2 CR each. Wizards probably aren't associated. You can make this thing epic!

sofawall
2010-03-03, 08:36 PM
There's an answer to the Dervish movement problem. You add in the usual things that increase ground movement, then double it with a graft: Feathered Wings (from Fiendish Folio), which give flight at 2x land speed. There's nothing in the Dervish Dance description which requires ground contact, so you'll be dancing in the air at 5' altitude. :smallsmile:

Things that add to both move speeds do doubletriple duty.

Say, for example, Haste. 30base+30 haste=60ft base land speed. Feathered Wings make this 120+30 haste or 150. Without Haste it's only 60 ft. Haste alone adds 90 ft.

Curmudgeon
2010-03-03, 09:24 PM
Things that add to both move speeds do doubletriple duty.

Say, for example, Haste. 30base+30 haste=60ft base land speed. Feathered Wings make this 120+30 haste or 150. Without Haste it's only 60 ft. Haste alone adds 90 ft.
Sorry, that double arithmetic makes this not match the spell description:
All of the hasted creature’s modes of movement (including land movement, burrow, climb, fly, and swim) increase by 30 feet, to a maximum of twice the subject’s normal speed using that form of movement. You get +30' maximum to fly speed, and the spell doesn't allow anything more.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-03-03, 10:47 PM
Heheheh...

Good to see that my encounter is getting some help.

Survivability is a MUST. The party can crank out over 300 damage a round against anything with less than 35 AC; if it gets up to 40 it goes down to about 200.

Flickerdart
2010-03-03, 11:07 PM
Libris Mortis has the Savage Vampire variant. For +0 CR to the Vampire, you trade your 2 negative level slams for a bigger damage die on claws and the ability to drain a level with each claw attack. Of which you have six now and potentially more in the future. If you make them slams (like they are for the Marilith parent, and not claws), Gravewight template instead, and drain with every slam.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-03-03, 11:40 PM
Heheheh...

Good to see that my encounter is getting some help.

Survivability is a MUST. The party can crank out over 300 damage a round against anything with less than 35 AC; if it gets up to 40 it goes down to about 200.

Swordsage. Use Setting Sun to be able to make opponents hit themselves, to make a Sense Heading check instead of AC, and to be able to make a 5' step in reaction to an opponent hitting you, thus thwarting a full attack progression.

Flickerdart
2010-03-03, 11:46 PM
Swordsage. Use Setting Sun to be able to make opponents hit themselves, to make a Sense Heading check instead of AC, and to be able to make a 5' step in reaction to an opponent hitting you, thus thwarting a full attack progression.
You can make your 5ft step in between attacks, so unless that ability works every time someone hits you, it won't really help. Even if it works every time but after the attack, that's still twice that you get hit.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-03-04, 12:03 AM
You can make your 5ft step in between attacks, so unless that ability works every time someone hits you, it won't really help. Even if it works every time but after the attack, that's still twice that you get hit.

How is it twice you are hit?

Scorpion Counter... opponent hits himself instead of you
Take 5' step back, so he can't hit you again

I'm not seeing where you're getting hit here...

Flickerdart
2010-03-04, 12:23 AM
How is it twice you are hit?

Scorpion Counter... opponent hits himself instead of you
Take 5' step back, so he can't hit you again

I'm not seeing where you're getting hit here...
Opponent hits you in the face. You 5ft step away with your manoeuvre. Opponent 5ft steps after you and continues the full attack action. I'm not familiar with the exact wording of that stance/counter/whatever it is, but if it works how I think it works, then that's what can happen.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-03-04, 12:56 AM
Opponent hits you in the face. You 5ft step away with your manoeuvre. Opponent 5ft steps after you and continues the full attack action. I'm not familiar with the exact wording of that stance/counter/whatever it is, but if it works how I think it works, then that's what can happen.

Unless he's already used his 5' step closing with you to attack you in the first place...

Ruinix
2010-03-04, 07:57 AM
warlock / eldrich adept !! all those attack make it touch attck ^^ that would be nasty.

2xMachina
2010-03-04, 08:12 AM
Tack on Insectile from SS.

+4 arms (and other bonuses) for 1 more Cr.

Warblade Thri-keen's are pretty good. Tiger claw uses jump a bit.