PDA

View Full Version : Nicest diety?

Adamaro
2010-03-03, 01:20 PM
There are lots of lawfull, stern, good, evil and chaotic gods in dnd. After brutal TPK I am currently making a favored soul and would like to make it a bit silly. This is a guy who has all the luck, is nice, polite and thoughtful.
What diety could best suit this to-annoy-dm-a-bit character :smallbiggrin:?

Inhuman Bot
2010-03-03, 01:20 PM
Which setting/system?

T.G. Oskar
2010-03-03, 01:23 PM
There are lots of lawfull, stern, good, evil and chaotic gods in dnd. After brutal TPK I am currently making a favored soul and would like to make it a bit silly. This is a guy who has all the luck, is nice, polite and thoughtful.
What diety could best suit this to-annoy-dm-a-bit character :smallbiggrin:?

Chaav. If you have access to the BoED, Chaav. He's the lesser god of good humor. He's known as the "good" Olidammara, for he makes jokes and pranks but that bear no harm to the person. He's also known as the Smiling God, and has a childish appearance (which fits with the demeanor).

If not, Ehlonna. And you claim your character is from the Ehlonnan Sect of Peace and Love.

Choco
2010-03-03, 01:26 PM
If not, Ehlonna. And you claim your character is from the Ehlonnan Sect of Peace and Love.

That would also give you an excuse to go around shouting "LOVE AND PEACE!" all the time.

Yuki Akuma
2010-03-03, 01:27 PM
Chaav.

He's the God of Joy. Chaotic Good and Exalted to boot.

Not to mention he takes the form of a young boy-to-early-teenager.

If you play a Favoured Soul of Chaav, be sure to take spells like Good Hope, Elation and Chaav's Laugh. (The latter two are in the Book of Exalted Deeds.)

Yora
2010-03-03, 01:27 PM
The pathfinder setting has a demigod or lesser deity who was once a famous hero. But one night he got incredibly drunk near a place that was supposed to have to power to make mortals divine if they survive the test, and the next thing he remembers is waking up as a god. :smallbiggrin:
http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Cayden_Cailean

Optimystik
2010-03-03, 01:39 PM
If you're in FR, Llira might fit as well. Her clerics are called Joybringers, and she spends all her time dancing and bringing happiness to everyone. CG.

I'm not sure any of the Eberron deities are that lighthearted, though I could be wrong.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-03, 01:46 PM
Vecna. Horribly misunderstood, and nobody bothers to learn the facts. He was the Deity equivalent to Dopey before the "incident", but that's what people focus on.

Starscream
2010-03-03, 02:13 PM
Yondalla is a sweetheart. When she created the halflings she actually stole the best bits from all the other races to combine. When the other gods found out, they were ticked. They forced her to remove the trouble-making aspect of her soul, and what remains is sweetness and light of almost Piffany-like levels (You don't suppose...).

Interestingly, her naughty side actually became its own deity, Dalla Thaun. Dalla is linked to Yondalla, and can share thoughts and memories with her, but is Chaotic Neutral. They are effectively two sides of the same person. This is why you have so many chaotic neutral halfling rogues, who can still truthfully claim (even under magical compulsion) that they worship the Lawful Good Yondalla.

DarkEternal
2010-03-03, 02:21 PM
Olidammara. The Deadpool of Gods.

Tiktakkat
2010-03-03, 03:58 PM

That would also give you an excuse to go around shouting "LOVE AND PEACE!" all the time.

That would be for the joint faith of Myrhiss (love, romance, beauty) and Zodal (mercy, hope, benevolence), a group from my Greyhawk background writings.

Ravens_cry
2010-03-03, 04:04 PM
The pathfinder setting has a demigod or lesser deity who was once a famous hero. But one night he got incredibly drunk near a place that was supposed to have to power to make mortals divine if they survive the test, and the next thing he remembers is waking up as a god. :smallbiggrin:
I agree, Cayden rocketh most heartily in my opinion.

LibraryOgre
2010-03-03, 04:10 PM
Llirra. Goddess of parties and happiness.

Bibliomancer
2010-03-03, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure any of the Eberron deities are that lighthearted, though I could be wrong.

Olladra of the Host is a NG version of Oliddamara, and a fairly cheerful goddess of luck. Apart from that, it's fairly easy to interpret any member of the Host as happy-go-lucky, since they're the nicest pantheon from a human point of view (by far) in Eberron.

Mongoose87
2010-03-03, 04:15 PM
Oghma always struck me as a nice guy. Likes to read. Not especially opinionated.

AtwasAwamps
2010-03-03, 04:19 PM

What, really?

I must convince my group to play pathfinder. I will be Cayden Cailean faithful servant.

Glimbur
2010-03-03, 04:19 PM
No love for Sune?

magic9mushroom
2010-03-03, 04:21 PM
Olladra of the Host is a NG version of Oliddamara, and a fairly cheerful goddess of luck. Apart from that, it's fairly easy to interpret any member of the Host as happy-go-lucky, since they're the nicest pantheon from a human point of view (by far) in Eberron.

It's also possible to interpret them as nonexistent. :smalltongue:

Cieyrin
2010-03-03, 04:26 PM
No love for Sune?

Was this intentional or coincidental, as I rofled at this upon reading.:smallwink:

Mongoose87
2010-03-03, 04:30 PM
No love for Sune?

The overly vain redhead?

Volkov
2010-03-03, 04:30 PM
Vecna. Horribly misunderstood, and nobody bothers to learn the facts. He was the Deity equivalent to Dopey before the "incident", but that's what people focus on.

Would this incident be tearing down the fabrics of reality to make himself the only god and changing all official campaign settings over to the 3.0 mechanics as a result of said ****ing around with reality? :smallbiggrin:

herrhauptmann
2010-03-03, 04:32 PM
+1 for Sune (love and joy)
Brandobaris. Forgotten Realms halfling god of thieves and tricksters.
Fluff says he's CN, and would get along with mask if it weren't for the fact that Mask has assassin levels (or something).

A lot of the interrelation fluff (characters, gods), they try to make it seem like everyone gets along with everyone else, can always find common ground.

Volkov
2010-03-03, 04:34 PM
Pelor always struck me as a nice kind of guy, not an uptight stick up your arse person like Zaphkiel. And he's a greater deity to boot.

BRC
2010-03-03, 04:36 PM
Pelor always struck me as a nice kind of guy, not an uptight stick up your arse person like Zaphkiel. And he's a greater deity to boot.
Oh it saddens me to see another soul fooled by the deception of the Burning Hate.

The Rose Dragon
2010-03-03, 04:37 PM

Oh really? (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19558798/Pelor,_the_Burning_Hate)

Aerodynamik
2010-03-03, 04:38 PM
If your playing FR, Tymora's probably a pretty good choice, she's goddess of luck. But I also like the sound of this Chaav fellow, If your campaign uses whatever book he's in.

Volkov
2010-03-03, 04:39 PM
Oh really? (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19558798/Pelor,_the_Burning_Hate)

Jesus christ, 470,000 posts!?!???

BRC
2010-03-03, 04:48 PM
Indeed. The truth is spreading constantly, soon we will strike down the Burning Hate and end his deception once and for all!

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-03, 04:50 PM
Indeed. The truth is spreading constantly, soon we will strike down the Burning Hate and end his deception once and for all!

Unless he gets you first. Jozan may be old, but he'll still mess you up :smalltongue:

Beelzebub1111
2010-03-03, 04:52 PM
Vol can be nice...at times...

BRC
2010-03-03, 04:52 PM
Unless he gets you first. Jozan may be old, but he'll still mess you up :smalltongue:
I'm protected by a Battletitan-formed Druid with his tyrannosaur animal companion flying an F-14. I'm safe.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-03, 04:57 PM
I'm protected by a Battletitan-formed Druid with his tyrannosaur animal companion flying an F-14. I'm safe.

Yeah...well...THE FIREY BRAND OF PELOR SMITES YOU!!!

Volkov
2010-03-03, 05:04 PM

Well, I was already with Vecna. The man closest to actually bringing true order and sanity to the D&D multiverse as a whole. The man who outsmarted Morden freaking kainen himself.

AslanCross
2010-03-03, 05:32 PM

Boldrei, goddess of community, protection and comfort. Arawai, goddess of fertility and abundance, might also count. Olladra is the goddess of feasting, luck and entertainment.

Everyone else is rather severe.

DarkEternal
2010-03-03, 06:28 PM
Olidammara is pretty nice for a chaotic god. Sure, he can push it a bit far, but hey, he loves a good prank, a good jest and a glass of fine wine and if you go that way, you could do a lot worse then him.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-03-03, 06:44 PM
+1 for Vecna.

He's always willing to lend a hand :smallbiggrin:

Brother Oni
2010-03-03, 06:51 PM
+1 for Vecna.

He's always willing to lend a hand :smallbiggrin:

Or a head. :smallbiggrin:

Innis Cabal
2010-03-03, 06:55 PM
Well, I was already with Vecna. The man closest to actually bringing true order and sanity to the D&D multiverse as a whole. The man who outsmarted Morden freaking kainen himself.

Die Vecna Die did not happen. Go back to your fun citizen.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-03-03, 06:57 PM
I'm pretty sure "offering" head is the province of a different deity :smallamused:

Mystic Muse
2010-03-03, 06:58 PM

Or an eye.......*shudders*

what's Vecna's intelligence score OOC? (out of curiosity)

Volkov
2010-03-03, 07:02 PM
Or an eye.......*shudders*

what's Vecna's intelligence score OOC? (out of curiosity)

As of 3rd edition I believe it's 40. And boy does he makes the most of it.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-03, 07:07 PM
So what's Mordenkainen's Intelligence score? Or did Mordenkainen simply not have the wisdom to back up whatever his intelligence was?

Volkov
2010-03-03, 07:10 PM
So what's Mordenkainen's Intelligence score? Or did Mordenkainen simply not have the wisdom to back up whatever his intelligence was?

He's a level 30 wizard. Ignoring 3.0's DDG (because it goes against earlier stats) He's in third place, being less powerful a mage than Zagyg, who was less powerful than Vecna.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-03, 07:14 PM
So, how exactly did Vecna become the most powerful other than ascending to a greater deity?

Volkov
2010-03-03, 07:19 PM
So, how exactly did Vecna become the most powerful other than ascending to a greater deity?

He became the most powerful mortal wizard ever because his mother told him to work really hard and because he worshiped the Serpent, which is Arcane magic personified. And no, this is not a joke.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-03, 07:39 PM
what's the Serpent? Is/was it like a deity or something?

Volkov
2010-03-03, 07:42 PM
what's the Serpent? Is/was it like a deity or something?

It's Arcane magic itself and it's believed to at least be as powerful as an over-deity. It is the one foe no Epic level wizard could ever beat no matter how much they munchkin, because it IS the magic they use. All attempts at defeating it with Arcane Magic are thus futile. Plus, it can use every spell ever at whatever CL it feels like, or just decide you are no longer worthy of it's gift and make you a commoner again.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-03, 07:44 PM
It's Arcane magic itself and it's believed to at least be as powerful as an over-deity. It is the one foe no Epic level wizard could ever beat no matter how much they munchkin, because it IS the magic they use. All attempts at defeating it with Arcane Magic are thus futile. Plus, it can use every spell ever at whatever CL it feels like, or just decide you are no longer worthy of it's gift and make you a commoner again.

wow. That's....I don't know what that is.

Volkov
2010-03-03, 07:46 PM
wow. That's....I don't know what that is.

So in other words, like a cleric, a wizard's power is dependent entirely on a higher power's good graces. It's just that it's very hard to fall out of the Serpent's favor because it's so powerful that even an epic level wizard isn't really worth it's attention.

Pronounceable
2010-03-03, 07:46 PM
Ninkasi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninkasi) is the only deity worth worshipping. In this world, or any other.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-03, 07:48 PM
So in other words, like a cleric, a wizard's power is dependent entirely on a higher power's good graces. It's just that it's very hard to fall out of the Serpent's favor because it's so powerful that even an epic level wizard isn't really worth it's attention.

what book does it mention the serpent in?

and, theoretically, The Serpent could make Vecna just a very high level commoner if it wanted to?

Nerocite
2010-03-03, 07:48 PM
Orcus is pretty beast.

Oh wait, that kind of nice.

Volkov
2010-03-03, 07:51 PM
what book does it mention the serpent in?

and, theoretically, The Serpent could make Vecna just a very high level commoner if it wanted to?

* Collins, Andy, Bruce R. Cordell, and Thomas M. Reid. Epic Level Handbook. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2002.

* Cook, Monte. Book of Eldritch Might II: Songs and Souls of Power. Malhavoc Press, 2002. Page 25.
* -----. Vecna Reborn. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 1998.

* Cordell, Bruce, and Steve Miller. Die Vecna Die!. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2000.

* Grubb, Jeff, David Noonan, and Bruce Cordell. Manual of the Planes. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2001. Page 88.

* Mona, Erik, James Jacobs, et al. "Unsolved Mysteries of D&D." Dragon #359. Bellevue, WA: Paizo Publishing, 2007. Page 28.

* Thorsson, Modi, and Kevin McCann. Vecna: Hand of the Revenant. Lakewood, CO: Iron Hammer Graphics, 2002.

Some claim that the Serpent is a guise of Asmodeus, but I don't think even Asmodeus is that skilled. Plus, he can only cast as a cleric, so any half decent spell caster or anyone with a decent amount of ranks in spellcraft would see through the disguise instantly. Others think it doesn't exist at all, but Vecna isn't insane, nor was his mother.

Plus, now Asmodeus is something of a newcomer to the outer planes in 3.5 canon.

The Serpent taught Vecna the ways of magic itself, which explains his power.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-03, 07:54 PM
So, what would it take for the serpent to teach you the ways of magic?

Volkov
2010-03-03, 07:56 PM
So, what would it take for the serpent to teach you the ways of magic?

Be very, very, very special and have a Wizard mom who knows of it's existence apparently. Then have said mother killed for witchcraft and swear revenge on all existence. Oh and be a direct descendant of Mo'zyn the Serpent.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-03, 08:04 PM
Be very, very, very special and have a Wizard mom who knows of it's existence apparently. Then have said mother killed for witchcraft and swear revenge on all existence. Oh and be a direct descendant of Mo'zyn the Serpent.

1. Don't think my character can qualify. a base of 19 INT isn't exactly special.
2. That'd work for a backstory.
3. Aww but I like good aligned characters.
4. Who?

CockroachTeaParty
2010-03-03, 08:06 PM
I believe Mordenkainen, Melf, Robilar, and some other big names from Greyhawk were at one point the player characters of actual people, yes? Was Vecna ever anyone's character? Or was he always an NPC?

Optimystik
2010-03-03, 08:14 PM

1) Be a shepherd.
2) Sex up goddess of magic.
3) ???
4) Profit

Mystic Muse
2010-03-03, 08:35 PM
Sorry, all the characters I play are pretty much completely Chaste. Sexing up the god of magic isn't really an option.

Volkov
2010-03-03, 08:37 PM
1. Don't think my character can qualify. a base of 19 INT isn't exactly special.
2. That'd work for a backstory.
4. Who?

Mo'zyn is the name of the Serpent.

Volkov
2010-03-03, 08:38 PM
I believe Mordenkainen, Melf, Robilar, and some other big names from Greyhawk were at one point the player characters of actual people, yes? Was Vecna ever anyone's character? Or was he always an NPC?

He was always an NPC, his name is an Anagram of Vance, as in Jack Vance.

Optimystik
2010-03-03, 08:39 PM
Sorry, all the characters I play are pretty much completely Chaste. Sexing up the god of magic isn't really an option.

Does it count if its a deity? Certain stories say, not always :smallwink:

Mystic Muse
Mo'zyn is the name of the Serpent.

So, I'd have to be a descendant of the essence of all Magic?

Yeah, no DM would allow me to use that as a storyline.

Volkov
Does it count if its a deity? Certain stories say, not always :smallwink:

Too much sex can create a very nasty deity, A la Slannesh, patron chaos god of 4chan.

Deth Muncher
2010-03-03, 08:47 PM
Too much sex can create a very nasty deity, A la Slannesh, patron chaos god of 4chan.

Win. Very win.

Tokiko Mima
2010-03-03, 09:17 PM
Since power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely, and I suppose omnipotence would therefore corrupt omnipotently. That is to say, infinitely in all ways, and simultaneously. Therefore, I think you are better off with no god at all if you need them to be nice.

You would want to select atheism or other form of non-deity worship. Be careful to state that whatever form of worship you choose is not a cause and has no source of divine power, therefore it skirts the requirement for Favored Souls not to select as religons causes or forms of divine power other than deities. The rules never actually say you must select a diety, after all, they're just specific to what you can't select.

Dr Bwaa
2010-03-03, 09:52 PM
I don't even see that the OP has replied to this again, but I'm going to throw my hat into the Llira ring if you're in FR. Otherwise I think Yondalla is a good bet.

Adamaro
2010-03-04, 04:15 AM
OP is watching :-) tnx lordhenry :-)

Killer Angel
2010-03-04, 04:57 AM
3 pages and no jokes on the thread title? no deity of diet?

Anyway, my vote goes to Yondalla. :smallsmile:

Greymane
2010-03-04, 05:03 AM
Huh. I would've figured Illmater of all deities would've been mentioned already. FR's god of suffering, who just wants to take said suffering away from the world.

I'm fairly certain he's the most altruistic deity in the setting, but that's easily arguable with people like Yondalla and Llira running around.

Brother Oni
2010-03-04, 07:19 AM
I'm pretty sure "offering" head is the province of a different deity :smallamused:

Well the thread title is 'Nicest Diety'. :smallbiggrin:

2xMachina
2010-03-04, 07:33 AM

I'm curious. Which deity would that be?

Volkov
2010-03-04, 07:34 AM
I'm curious. Which deity would that be?

I would like to present you the head of Vecna.

bosssmiley
2010-03-04, 08:15 AM
The Serpent taught Vecna the ways of magic itself, which explains his power.

Personifying the voices in the head of a mad archmage is a terrible thing, doubly so in a universe rich in reification. :smallwink:

Nicest deity: Loagzed. He's friend and patron to the forgotten, downtrodden and unfairly ghettoized races no-one else can stand. He's also too polite to turn away food, however badly cooked. And the children love to sing songs about him.

hamishspence
2010-03-04, 08:19 AM
Unusually among deities with an Evil alignment- he is described as not requiring any sacrifices of other beings- just eating things- anything- is considered homage to him, by his followers.

Amiel
2010-03-04, 08:27 AM
Grandfather Nurgle; not only is he a proponent of sharing and equality for all, he practices what he preaches.

All may benefit equally under his beatific auspice and, unlike those deities who demand worship or "donation," Grandfather Nurgle simply asks that you allow Him to reward you.

Clearly, he is the nicest deity; he is easily adaptable to D&D.

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-04, 09:48 AM
Grandfather Nurgle; not only is he a proponent of sharing and equality for all, he practices what he preaches.

All may benefit equally under his beatific auspice and, unlike those deities who demand worship or "donation," Grandfather Nurgle simply asks that you allow Him to reward you.

Clearly, he is the nicest deity; he is easily adaptable to D&D.

Also, Korne does not judge, he believes in equality for all, and is equally loving to all beings, not just his followers.

Steveotep
2010-03-04, 02:30 PM
Evening Glory, the True Neutral Goddess of Romance and Undeath from Libris Mortis.

Because True Love Never Dies.

Thalnawr
2010-03-04, 02:39 PM
I hear Banjo, the clown god of puppetry is pretty nice...

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-04, 02:49 PM
Cas. How could a god that looks so much like Bullwinkle NOT be a god of joy, happiness and small flying rodents :smallbiggrin:

ScionoftheVoid
2010-03-04, 04:38 PM
I'm going to say Wee Jas. Mostly because I'll support Wee Jas for any positive thing I can justify but she does fit quite well. Polite, encourages respect for elders, from what I've heard of Her past she is a supporter of true love (regardless of how odd that love may seem), helps Her worshipers. Plus she's kinda hot (IMO, going from Her illustration in Deities and Demigods and assuming that Her artwork is about as accurate for judging Her beauty as any other gods' is and in the same way, i.e. she's probably way better looking than that illustration suggests). So yeah, Wee Jas is my suggestion for nicest deity.

Volkov
2010-03-04, 04:38 PM
I'm going to say Wee Jas. Mostly because I'll support Wee Jas for any positive thing I can justify but she does fit quite well. Polite, encourages respect for elders, from what I've heard of Her past she is a supporter of true love (regardless of how odd that love may seem), helps Her worshipers. Plus she's kinda hot (IMO, going from Her illustration in Deities and Demigods and assuming that Her artwork is about as accurate for judging Her beauty as any other gods' is and in the same way, i.e. she's probably way better looking than that illustration suggests). So yeah, Wee Jas is my suggestion for nicest deity.

I'd take Tzeentch over her any day. As for hawtness, Aphrodite has her beat.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-03-04, 04:46 PM
I'd take Tzeentch over her any day. As for hawtness, Aphrodite has her beat.

Tzeentch may be more fun, and Aphrodite better looking (inspiration, to the Dungeons and Dames thread! After Google) but Wee Jas is still my favourite deity. If I can't decide on a deity for one of my characters I can be almost sure that Wee Jas will fit. She's Lawful Neutral with Evil tendencies, after all.

Volkov
2010-03-04, 04:56 PM
Tzeentch may be more fun, and Aphrodite better looking (inspiration, to the Dungeons and Dames thread! After Google) but Wee Jas is still my favourite deity. If I can't decide on a deity for one of my characters I can be almost sure that Wee Jas will fit. She's Lawful Neutral with Evil tendencies, after all.

Not only is Tzeentch more fun, he is far more powerful.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-03-04, 05:00 PM
Not only is Tzeentch more fun, he is far more powerful.

Having counters in case his own plans succeed kind of makes that point purely academic though. Wee Jas may be less powerful, but she is commonly worshipped by Clerics, Wizards and Sorcerers (which are of course some of the most powerful classes in the game).

Volkov
2010-03-04, 05:02 PM
Having counters in case his own plans succeed kind of makes that point purely academic though. Wee Jas may be less powerful, but she is commonly worshipped by Clerics, Wizards and Sorcerers (which are of course some of the most powerful classes in the game).

Tzeentch has the lion share of most Warhammer Chaos aligned Spellcasters/Psykers.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-03-04, 05:06 PM
Tzeentch has the lion share of most Warhammer Chaos aligned Spellcasters/Psykers.

I'm going to drop out of this, Wee Jas certainly is not the most powerful deity or anything but she is my favourite deity. I like Tzeench and Nurgle and lots of other deities (which is odd, considering my RL stance on deities, but these are role-playing games and playing my own role would get pretty boring), D&D 3.5 or Warhammer 40k but their just not my favourites.

Nai_Calus
2010-03-04, 10:40 PM
Corellon Larethian. CG God of music, magic, arts, crafts, protection and elves. Humble, merciful, kind-hearted and an all-around nice guy who encourages self-sufficiency and prancing cheerfully through the forest.

You can be a happy-go-lucky hippie. :D

(You expected any other answer from me? :smallbiggrin:)

ZeroNumerous
2010-03-04, 10:42 PM
Corellon Larethian. CG God of music, magic, arts, crafts, protection and elves. Humble, merciful, kind-hearted and an all-around nice guy who encourages self-sufficiency and prancing cheerfully through the forest.

...Who curses his enemies into horrific spider-deities and cuts out the eyes of orcs he defeats in honorable single combat.

Good? Yes. Nice? Oh-hell-no.

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-04, 11:02 PM
...Who curses his enemies into horrific spider-deities and cuts out the eyes of orcs he defeats in honorable single combat.

Good? Yes. Nice? Oh-hell-no.He's also a xenophobic bigot.

I'd be hard-pressed to even call him 'Neutral,' let alone 'Good.'

Nai_Calus
2010-03-05, 10:35 PM
Corellon isn't even remotely xenophobic or a bigot. :smallconfused: No, really, where are you even getting that from, considering that pretty much everything ever written about him says pretty much exactly the opposite?

And oh yes, poor poor Gruumsh and Lolth. Because Corellon totally just walked up to Gruumsh and was like 'Hi, how's it going, oh by the way*stab* you didn't need that eye did you?'. It wasn't like Gruumsh was fighting him(and started it to boot) or anything.(Corellon was losing that fight, by the way, Gruumsh nearly beat him, and he just barely managed to rally and cut his eye out as a last-ditch effort, with Sehanine's help.) And Lolth didn't do anything at all, no, it wasn't like she gathered an army of evil gods to attack Arvandor, corrupted her own son into aiding her in her attempt to kill Corellon, and tried to pin the blame for that on her daughter or anything.(That he didn't outright KILL her is amazing and shows tremendous restraint.) :smallannoyed:

No, seriously, what.

Mando Knight
2010-03-05, 11:15 PM
Corellon isn't even remotely xenophobic or a bigot. :smallconfused: No, really, where are you even getting that from, considering that pretty much everything ever written about him says pretty much exactly the opposite?

Well, at least not to any extent beyond any of the other heavily race-aligned deities. Good deities are bigots against primarily evil races (guilty until proven innocent), as are evil deities towards primarily good races, and some deities have developed specific grudges that tend to be shared by their followers, who tend to fall under the god's specific race alignment... (Corellon and Elf-kind against Gruumsh and his Orcs, nice-guy Elf-kin and Corellon against Llolth and not-nice Elf-kin, Bahamut and metallic dragons against Tiamat and chromatics...)

ApatheticDespot
2010-03-05, 11:15 PM
I don't know how it took 70 posts for someone to mention Ilmater, but he gets my vote as well. On the subject of the niceness of Forgotten Realms gods, how many of them are actually trying to do something about the wall of the faithless? Ilmater was the only one shown doing anything in Mask of the Betrayer, and I figure that any FR gods not opposed to the wall probably shouldn't be on the nicest list.

Sereg
2010-03-06, 07:44 AM
I don't know if she's in 3rd ed, but 1st ed Dieties and Demigods includes Kuan Yin, goddes of mercy and childbearing. She's Lawful Good and her clerics promote peace and oppose violence. It says that she will never use her spells to cause harm. She can negate an act of violence every round and may grant a wish to anyone who performs a good act affecting at least 50 of her worshippers. Most of her worshippers are common folk and all who work for her cause expect to be rewarded.

Brother Oni
2010-03-06, 08:21 AM
Back on the subject of Warhammer gods, there's Shallya, the goddess of mercy and healing.
According to wikipedia sh'e interested in doing good and protecting the weak, which is unusual for the Warhammer setting.

That said, she has a completely different side when it comes to Chaos, especially followers of Nurgle - I believe the standing order is 'leave none alive and burn the remains'.

Keld Denar
2010-03-06, 08:39 AM
Back to Greyhawk, I'd say Rao, the shepherding god of peace and serenity. Don't get much more passive and pleasent than that.

comicshorse
2010-03-06, 11:39 AM
From Faerun there is Eldath, goddess of streams, waterfalls, pools and stillness, peace and quiet places. Watcher of druid groves, she is a complete pacifist and mortal creatures cannot commit violent acts in her presence

Eldan
2010-03-06, 12:25 PM
An on the topic of Corellon, don't forget poor Leraje.

Nai_Calus
2010-03-06, 03:28 PM
An on the topic of Corellon, don't forget poor Leraje.

That stupid chick from one of 3e's stupider sourcebooks who got what she deserved for her stupid arrogance when she kept being a retard even after Corellon gave her the in-universe equivalent of your DM asking "Are you sure"?

Also ah, lol, 3e 'fluff'. I don't use that garbage.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-03-06, 08:51 PM
That stupid chick from one of 3e's stupider sourcebooks who got what she deserved for her stupid arrogance when she kept being a retard even after Corellon gave her the in-universe equivalent of your DM asking "Are you sure"?

What did the god of frog-terminally ill people amalgamations Corellon do to her? Or let happen to her, as your post implies. Sorry about the strike-through I sometimes forget that he is the god of Elves, not what he himself is.

I don't much like Corellon, who I am now thinking of as racist, arrogant, petty and misogynistic. As opposed to just the first three. If I were stupid and/or powerful enough to think I could survive assualting a god he'd be the one I'd start with. Right before Garl Glittergold (he's a golden figurine of a Gnome, who would not say "You blinged up *******, you pulled off being made of solid gold, having a solid gold bloody suit and gemstones for eyes!" before kicking him in the privates because no-one would be a willing witness to the trial on the grounds that everyone at least secretly wants to do that)?

chiasaur11
2010-03-06, 08:55 PM
I don't know how it took 70 posts for someone to mention Ilmater, but he gets my vote as well. On the subject of the niceness of Forgotten Realms gods, how many of them are actually trying to do something about the wall of the faithless? Ilmater was the only one shown doing anything in Mask of the Betrayer, and I figure that any FR gods not apposed to the wall probably shouldn't be on the nicest list.

What about Okku, for that matter?

On the other hand, he is a bear.

ApatheticDespot
2010-03-06, 09:23 PM
What about Okku, for that matter?

On the other hand, he is a bear.

Does the setting really consider Okku an actual deity? I know he called himself a bear god a couple of times, but he was depicted as just the spirit of a particularly powerful bear.

And why the hostility towards Leraje, Nai_Calus? Corellon Larethian really does come off looking like a jerk in her description as a vestige in ToM. Her "stupid arrogance" seems to have consisted of "beaming under the complement" when a god personally praised her archery skills. Larethian's response was to order her to kill herself(!). Kind of an overreaction, I'd say.

Kalirren
2010-03-06, 10:17 PM
Garl Glittergold.

Here's the creed:

A sense of humor is an important thing for anyone to cultivate, regardless of their hardships. The inhabitants of a community ought to cooperate for the greater good. Pranks are a sacrament. Authority figures shouldn't take themselves too seriously. The tales and jokes of the gnomish people should be preserved, but change should not be feared.

Volkov
2010-03-06, 10:19 PM
Garl Glittergold.

Here's the creed:

Considering that he made an enemy of a particular race that if not kept in check by the goblins, would swarm the entire multiverse under the sheer weight of their numbers by one meanspirited prank, I'd say he's not that nice.

Nai_Calus
2010-03-08, 06:19 PM
And why the hostility towards Leraje, Nai_Calus? Corellon Larethian really does come off looking like a jerk in her description as a vestige in ToM. Her "stupid arrogance" seems to have consisted of "beaming under the complement" when a god personally praised her archery skills. Larethian's response was to order her to kill herself(!). Kind of an overreaction, I'd say.

Which wasn't his intent at all, which the book says as much. Also, the correct response to that sort of thing really isn't to immediately go and shoot an arrow at your god, which really is a retarded move. Nope, sorry, she deserved it.

Also, ToM is iffy at best, canon only if you choose to use it(And even then, do you *really* believe the *vestiges*?), and 3rd edition splatflood fluff, most of which is god-awful and shows absolutely no concept of anything leading up to it. (Especially in regard to Corellon, who has some absolutely god-awful coverage in 3e. What do I want from the edition whose random made-up members of the Seldarine were even lamer than the ones in Dragon during 2e? At least some of them were useful.)

Volkov
2010-03-08, 06:26 PM
Correlon is a he, he's just very adrogynous looking.

The Glyphstone
2010-03-08, 06:47 PM
Tharizdun. He's 100% up-front about his desire to kill everything...even gods of truth and honesty sometimes shade the truth or manipulate people. Honesty's a rare and underappreciated trait.

Volkov
2010-03-08, 06:50 PM
Tharizdun. He's 100% up-front about his desire to kill everything...even gods of truth and honesty sometimes shade the truth or manipulate people. Honesty's a rare and underappreciated trait.
He's got nothing on Pandorym. Who also kind of stole his shtick of soon to be multiverse destroyer.

The poor thing was drawn into reality by some nice looking epic level wizards who wanted him to kill the gods, but the wizards took advantage of his trust and imprisoned him. Poor guy....

That aside, in a fight between the Snarl, a reunited Pandorym, and a fully repowered Tharidizun, who would be the victor?

The Glyphstone
2010-03-08, 06:52 PM
He's got nothing on Pandorym. Who also kind of stole his shtick of soon to be multiverse destroyer.

The poor thing was drawn into reality by some nice looking epic level wizards who wanted him to kill the gods, but the wizards took advantage of his trust and imprisoned him. Poor guy....

That aside, in a fight between the Snarl, a reunited Pandorym, and a fully repowered Tharidizun, who would be the victor?

Thoon, naturally.

skywalker
2010-03-08, 08:46 PM
Which wasn't his intent at all, which the book says as much. Also, the correct response to that sort of thing really isn't to immediately go and shoot an arrow at your god, which really is a retarded move. Nope, sorry, she deserved it.

Also, ToM is iffy at best, canon only if you choose to use it(And even then, do you *really* believe the *vestiges*?), and 3rd edition splatflood fluff, most of which is god-awful and shows absolutely no concept of anything leading up to it. (Especially in regard to Corellon, who has some absolutely god-awful coverage in 3e. What do I want from the edition whose random made-up members of the Seldarine were even lamer than the ones in Dragon during 2e? At least some of them were useful.)

I think we may have found the first real-life cleric of Corellon.

Nope, Corellon's an elf. :smalltongue:

sofawall
2010-03-08, 09:18 PM

Zombie Gleemax is all the old inactive accounts merged into one. That's why it has so damn many posts.

Sereg
2010-03-08, 10:51 PM

Maybe it's changed, but back in 1st ed, it said that while Correlon is usually a "he", he can be a "she", "both" or "neither" depending on his mood.

Yora
2010-03-09, 07:08 AM
Wizards probably thought it's bad publicity to endorse gender models not conform to general social standards, so they removed that. Monopolists tend to to shy away from controversy.

Optimystik
2010-03-09, 07:30 AM
Wizards probably thought it's bad publicity to endorse gender models not conform to general social standards, so they removed that. Monopolists tend to to shy away from controversy.

I'm not sure where you got that from - in 3.x Forgotten Realms, Mask explicitly swaps genders whenever he feels like it.

urbanpirate
2010-03-09, 06:48 PM

hell to the yes.