PDA

View Full Version : How does GiantITP write its resume?

DaBull
2010-03-03, 03:22 PM
As happens to all gamers, I have sadly now to face reality and get a job. I'm writing my first resume in order to apply for a summer job. I'm a freshman Psychology-Sociology double-major who is cold-call applying for clerical positions in pschologists'/counselors'/psychiatrists' offices, in specific. I was just wondering if GiantITP had any specific pointers of what to include or what not to include on an entry-level student resume.
Thanks,
DaBull

TSGames
2010-03-03, 04:33 PM
Y'know, most colleges have people you can talk to who will help you for free...

Aside from that, I can't help you too much. My resume is in a format that is tailored to the field in which I am employed. Perhaps the psych department would have a counselor or someone who could give an example psych-tailored resume. These boards may not be the best place to get resume help.

skywalker
2010-03-03, 04:36 PM
Namety Name

XXX Elm Street
City, TN
XXXXX (Zip Code)
(555) 173-7863
namety@url

Experience
May 2007 to November 2007
Most Recent Employer - City, TN
Job Position
•Pivotal duty performed 1.
•Pivotal duty performed 2.
•Pivotal duty performed 3.
•Pivotal duty performed 4.

April 2004 to December 2006
Next most recent employer - City, TN
Job Position
•Pivotal duty performed 1.
•Pivotal duty performed 2.
•Pivotal duty performed 3.
•Pivotal duty performed 4.

Education
Fall 2006 to May 2011
University of Tennessee - Knoxville, TN
Bachelor of Arts in Economics

Yes, that's my actual resume, with the sensitive bits taken out, obviously.

rakkoon
2010-03-04, 03:44 AM
I went for a different approach to stand out
It was something like .....
Teamplayer with leadership skills
Multilingual and motivated
Personal data
It has to be said I was hired in a time where everybody was hired so not sure if it worked...

Hazkali
2010-03-04, 01:11 PM
Do you ever write out a really long post, then close the tab it's in? :smallsigh:

Skywalker's format is good, although I would recommend that you switch the Employment History and Education sections if your strong point is your academic qualifications, and you've only worked trivial jobs before.

Include a Skills and Achievements section if you've got non-academic skills and/or have done anything notable (that shows a relevant skill), such as any Scout/Youth awards that are sufficiently recognised.

Also, include a short Interests section, and link your hobbies to the position that you're going for- e.g. I put wargaming, and explain that it's quite mathematical.

Archonic Energy
2010-03-04, 01:51 PM
that's easy you write it in Klingon... In Blood... On a corpse... with a chainsaw... powered by uranium... from orbit... of another planet.