PDA

View Full Version : Alternate SNA List?

Thefurmonger
2010-03-03, 06:15 PM
hey all, so I found a List of all the stuff you can summon with Summon Monster Spells. Here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=a04c2cd8eaa2f652209965128c8523 57&topic=5573.0)

And thats great, but as I play a Druid, not a Wiz/Sor i need a list for SNA.

Anyone know where I can find one?

Darrin
2010-03-03, 10:26 PM
hey all, so I found a List of all the stuff you can summon with Summon Monster Spells. Here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=a04c2cd8eaa2f652209965128c8523 57&topic=5573.0)

And thats great, but as I play a Druid, not a Wiz/Sor i need a list for SNA.

Anyone know where I can find one?

The creatures you get from Summon Nature's Ally are usually one step above what you'd normally get from a similar Summon Monster spell, so in general druids don't *need* better summons, they've already got them. But with all that "Nature" and whatnot in the spell title... well, they are kinda restricted to dumb, boring... well, *animals*.

However, Druids also get access to the Conjure Ice Beast (Frostburn) and Summon Desert Ally (Sandstorm) line of spells.

Conjure Ice Beast in particular allows you to summon an Ice Beast version of anything you could normally summon with either Summon Nature's Ally or Summon Monster. So you have access to all of the Summon Monster creatures that way. Unfortunately, as Ice Beasts, they lose all their special attacks/qualities. However, you can give them new special attacks, including a cold aura burst with no save and the envelope/swallow whole attack. And since the spells are Conjuration (Creation), there are several buffs that don't kick in, such as Augment Summoning.

Summon Desert Ally has a more limited list of what can be summoned, but on the other hand it's still a Conjuration (Summoning) spell, so Augment Summoning *does* kick in. Like Ice Beasts, they lose all special attacks, but gain a breath weapon and blindsight 60'. Oddly enough, they keep special qualities, but since most of the summonable creatures are animals, this means the best you can hope for is Scent (Ex).

Thefurmonger
2010-03-07, 05:14 PM
All that was good information, and I appreciate it.

I suppose I should go into WHY I want this.

The Goliath Druid RSL lets you cound a SNA spell as the next higher if you are summoning Earth creatures, SNA I lets you summon a small elemental, normally from SNA II.

If not a larger list, is there a way to make all my summons be Earth creatures?

Thanks

Gnorman
2010-03-07, 08:16 PM
When I made that guide, I vetted every 3.5 (and a few 3.0) books for evil outsiders, or evil extraplanar creatures, or creatures native to an evil plane. You can do something similar with SNA. Thematically, it should only summon animals, plants, elementals, the occasional fey or magical beast, and possibly vermin. It's a wide range, but I recommend checking out It's Cold Outside and It's Hot Outside (It's Wet Outside is really only useful if you're doing an aquatic campaign) for more animals.

Taking the MMIII, for example, appropriate additions to the SNA list would be the Avalancher (SNA IV), the Bearhound (SNA VII), a Bloodstriker Dinosaur (SNA V), a Fleshraker Dinosaur (SNA II, and a very very good choice), a Swindlespitter Dinosaur (SNA I), the Dragon Eel (SNA IX, and dragon type), a Dread Blossom Swam (SNA V), Storm Elementals (varying levels, and RAW-legal for you to summon!), Ironclad Mauler (SNA VIII, borderline appropriate but still bear cavalry), Mastodon (SNA VIII), Night Twist (SNA IX), Redcap (SNA II for young ones, SNA VII for elders, only appropriate for evil druids), Sea Tiger (SNA V), Splinterwaif (SNA III), Thorn (SNA IV), Topiary Guardians (SNA III the boar, VI for the lion, and IX for the triceratops), or the Wood Woad (SNA IV).

For you, the Avalancher and the Ironclad Mauler would be great thematically.

Other books available on request.