PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Healer PrC

DonDuckie
2010-03-03, 06:25 PM
I really like the idea of the healer from Miniatures Handbook, but that base class is not it.

So I made a prestige class and I would like somebody more experienced at evaluating power level taking a look at it and telling me what you think. I realize that an arcane could take one level and then Mystic Theurge the rest, but I'm mostly okay with that.

- The Oath is mostly for fluff, personally I think players should roleplay their classes, and I wouldn't hesitate letting them fall if they don't.
- I liked the new life capstone from the original base class, but I thought it too powerful for a 10 level PrC.
- The overdrive Aura of Courage is also flavor from having a healer near you.
- I kept the no resting flavor, from the original class, but also allow to regain spell slots more times per day, so I lowered the number of spells per 'cycle'.

Please tell me what you think, I would love some input.

Sorry about the bad setup.

Table 1: The Healer PrC
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8| 9
1st|+0|+2|+0|+2|Oath|4|1||||||||
2nd|+1|+3|+0|+3|Effortless healing|5|1|1|||||||
3rd|+1|+3|+1|+3|Aura of Courage|5|2|1|1||||||
4th|+2|+4|+1|+4|Healing Touch(cure minor wounds)|6|2|2|1|1|||||
5th|+2|+4|+1|+4|Healing Hands|6|3|2|2|1|1||||
6th|+3|+5|+2|+5|New limb, Cleanse Spirit|7|3|3|2|2|1|1|||
7th|+3|+5|+2|+5|Healing Touch(cure light wounds)|7|4|3|3|2|2|1|1||
8th|+4|+6|+2|+6|New life(raise dead)|8|4|4|3|3|2|2|1|1|
9th|+4|+6|+3|+6|New life(resurrection)|8|5|4|4|3|3|2|2|1|1
10th|+5|+7|+3|+7|New life(true resurrection), Healing Touch(cure moderate wounds)|9|5|5|4|4|3|3|2|2|1[/table]

Healer Spells Known
Healers choose their spells from the following list.
0 Level: create water, cure minor wounds, deathwatch, detect poison, light, mending, purify food and drink.
1st Level: bless water, cure light wounds, goodberry, protection from evil, remove fear, remove paralysis, sanctuary, speak with animals.
2nd Level: calm emotions, cure moderate wounds, delay poison, gentle repose, remove blindness/deafness, remove disease, lesser restoration.
3rd Level: close wounds*, create food and water, cure serious wounds, neutralize poison, remove curse, restoration, status.
4th Level: cure critical wounds, death ward, freedom of movement, panacea*.
5th Level: atonement, break enchantment, mass cure light wounds, raise dead, revivify*, stone to flesh, true seeing.
6th Level: greater restoration, heal, heroes’ feast, mass cure moderate wounds, regenerate.
7th Level: mass cure serious wounds, repulsion, resurrection.
8th Level: discern location, holy aura, mass cure critical wounds.
9th Level: mass heal, true resurrection.
*New spell described in Chapter 2 of miniatures handbook. !!not important if you don't know them!!

GAME RULE INFORMATION

Requirements:
Alignment: any good
Skills: heal 8 ranks
Feats: skill focus(heal)

Hit Die: d8.
Class Skills
The healer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Survival (Wis).
Skill Points Per Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the healer.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Healers are proficient with
all simple weapons and with light armor and shields(except tower shields).

Spells: A healer casts divine spells (the same type of spells available to clerics), which are drawn from the healer spell list given above. A healer can cast any spell she knows without preparation. Her caster level is equal to her ranks in the heal skill, this doesn't affect caster level limits of spells.
To cast a spell, a healer must have a Charisma score of 10 + the spell’s level (Cha 10 for 0-level spells, Cha 11 for 1st-level spells, and so forth). The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a healer’s spell is 10 + the spell’s level + the healer’s Wisdom modifier.
Like other spellcasters, a healer can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on Table 1: The Healer PrC. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Charisma score (see Table 1–1, page 8 of the Player’s Handbook). Time spent resting has no effect on whether a healer can cast spells, to regain spell slots a healer must meditate for one hour.

Oath (Su): When becoming a healer, an oath must be taken never to refuse healing to allies or non-combatants or charge a fee for any spellcasting. Furthermore a healer must dedicate three days out of every month to work as a healer in a town. Violating one's oath will cause a healer to lose all healer spells except cure minor wounds and all class features until she atones(for refusing healing or charging a fee) or until she completes her work as a town healer.

Effortless Healing (Ex): A healer of 2nd level has learned to cast spells of the healing subschool with minimal effort. She may cast such spells without provoking attacks of opportunity. This ability applies only to spells of the healing subschool that she casts as a healer, not to those that she may have by virtue of levels in another class.

Aura of Courage (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, a healer is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Each ally within 30 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects. This ability functions while the healer is conscious, but not if she is unconscious or dead.

Healing Touch (Sp): Beginning at 4th level a healer becomes so experienced with healing, that she gains certain healing spells as spell-like abilties. At 4th level she can cast cure minor wounds at will. At 7th level she can cast cure light wounds at will. At 10th level she can cast cure moderate wounds at will.

Healing Hands (Ex): Whenever a healer of 5th level casts a spell that cures hit point damage, she adds her Charisma modifier to the amount of damage healed. For instance, if a 5th-level healer with an 18 Charisma casts cure light wounds, she cures 1d8+5 points of damage normally, plus an additional 4 points of damage due to her Charisma bonus. This bonus applies only to spells of the healing subschool that she casts as a healer, not to those that she may have by virtue of levels in another class.

New Limb (Su): At 6th level, a healer gains the ability to regrow a creature’s lost or damaged body part once per day, as if casting a regenerate spell.

Cleanse Spirit (Su): At 6th level, a healer gains the ability to restore a creature to health once per day, as if casting a greater restoration spel

New Life (Su): Once per week, a 8th-level healer can bring a dead creature back to life, as if casting a raise dead spell. At 9th level a healer can choose to cast either raise dead or resurrection. At 10th level a healer can choose to cast either raise dead, resurrection, or true resurrection. This ability requires no costly material component but has an XP cost; raise dead 1000 XP, resurrection 2000 XP, true resurrection 5000 XP.

Kumori
2010-03-03, 06:37 PM
{table=head]BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9
+0|+2|+0|+2|Oath|4|1||||||||
+1|+3|+0|+3|Effortless healing|5|1|1|||||||
+1|+3|+1|+3|Aura of Courage|5|2|1|1||||||
+2|+4|+1|+4|Healing Touch|6|2|2|1|1|||||
+2|+4|+1|+4|Healing Hands|6|3|2|2|1|1||||
+3|+5|+2|+5|New limb, Cleanse Spirit|7|3|3|2|2|1|1|||
+3|+5|+2|+5|Healing Touch|7|4|3|3|2|2|1|1||
+4|+6|+2|+6|New life|8|4|4|3|3|2|2|1|1|
+4|+6|+3|+6|New life|8|5|4|4|3|3|2|2|1|1
+5|+7|+3|+7|New life, Healing Touch|9|5|5|4|4|3|3|2|2|1[/table]

Here's a table for you to use. Use the quote button to see the coding, then copy the table stuff. It'll make it easier to read your PrC.

Temotei
2010-03-03, 06:41 PM
Also bold all the ability names and important headers, etc.

Oh, and all spells should be in italics.

Kumori
2010-03-03, 06:50 PM
Two errors to mention: Aura of Courage refers to the healer as a Paladin; you're missing the word "or" is New Life (At 9th level a healer can choose to cast either raise dead resurrection.)

Putting that aside, I like the class. I think it needs something to make the Heal spell a little better though. At character level 11, when a Healer and Cleric are both able cast it, a Cleric can heal 110HP whereas the Healer can only heal 50+Cha HP.

DonDuckie
2010-03-03, 06:57 PM
Two errors to mention: Aura of Courage refers to the healer as a Paladin; you're missing the word "or" is New Life (At 9th level a healer can choose to cast either raise dead resurrection.)

Oops and thanks.

Putting that aside, I like the class. I think it needs something to make the Heal spell a little better though. At character level 11, when a Healer and Cleric are both able cast it, a Cleric can heal 110HP whereas the Healer can only heal 50+Cha HP.

I actually did something weird with the caster level to fix that, I made caster level equal ranks in heal skill.

Kumori
2010-03-03, 07:04 PM
I actually did something weird with the caster level to fix that, I made caster level equal ranks in heal skill.

I didn't notice that. Kinda skipped over it.

DracoDei
2010-03-03, 07:11 PM
Caster level = Heal ranks is a nice touch.

No cleric or druid would be likely to take this as it currently stands, since it doesn't stack with their existing casting, they would have to start back with getting 0th and 1st level spells. Now it DOES get you to 9th level spells quicker, but in this case that isn't worth it because of the narrow selection. I would have two options at first class level:

The chart you have would be the first option, useful for a Paladin, Ranger, Adept, or Expert

The second option would be something that stacks with existing divine spell-casting for determining spells per day, but the extra slots it grants you may ONLY be used for spells off of the Healer spell list (which is added to your existing spellcasting list). In this second case the "caster level = heal ranks" thing would only apply to spells from that list. I would have half of class levels count towards caster level (stacking with your existing base class caster level) for everything not on that list. Your bonus spells per day would always be available for whatever (IE your combined spell list), provided you have access to spells of that level in the first place. This creates a much smoother transition between the base class and the PrC, while limiting you to healing spells in your higher level slots.

Temotei
2010-03-03, 07:15 PM
By the gods, this looks so much easier to read now. I'll get on it. I would recommend putting a level column in the table though.

Kumori
2010-03-03, 07:23 PM
By the gods, this looks so much easier to read now. I'll get on it. I would recommend putting a level column in the table though.

My fault...

DonDuckie
2010-03-03, 07:27 PM
The chart you have would be the first option, useful for a Paladin, Ranger, Adept, or Expert

I did not consider this, I wanted the class to be an option for non-casters and arcane casters as well.

Saintheart
2010-03-03, 07:43 PM
Caster level = Heal ranks is a nice touch.

One thought that occurred to me after seeing that comment--

Healing Lorecall (p. 110, Spell Compendium) does something similar to this class feature, and it's a level 2 cleric spell. It allows you to heal various conditions at the same time as casting a conjuration (healing) spell, and for the purposes of calculating your caster level on a cure spell it allows you to substitute your Heal ranks for caster level in calculating hitpoints healed, though you still can't exceed the maximum for the spell. That being so it is strictly superior to the current class feature since it heals conditions and hitpoint damage at the same time.

So I'd strongly recommend either making this spell part of the Healer's spell list, or alternatively even making it a fullblown class feature since it's a damn useful spell since it removes conditions as well as damage.

Also, the issue of whether the Healer's Heal ranks allow him to exceed the normal maxima for a given cure spell probably needs to be explicit. I'd be careful about allowing him to exceed the spell maximums; otherwise you'll get the sort of potentially gamebreaking healing shenanigans as used to occur with maxing out Iaijutsu skill from OA -- whereas a massive Iaijutsu bonus allowed you to "I win initiative, I hit you, I win from massive bonus damage", you could get a scenario where you pump your Heal modifier through the roof and watch people come back from 1 hitpoint to fifty from the application of a Cure Light Wounds spell.

DracoDei
2010-03-03, 07:49 PM
I did not consider this, I wanted the class to be an option for non-casters and arcane casters as well.
Well, since it is "as well", I think you should include the second option I mentioned (or something else if you don't like the way I worked it), for divine casters.

Italicize the names of spells wherever they appear.

New Limb is pretty useless since it gives you 1 more use per day of an ability that doesn't actually come up that much, and which you can prepare at that level anyway.

The XP costs on New Life are going to mean it isn't going to see much play... most players would rather spend the x5 GP than the XPs. This is perfectly fine, but I thought I should mention it.

For things you put on the class ability chart more than once, list the degrees in parentheses in the chart. This includes the first time they get an ability. Thus, at 10th level you should have "New life(True Resurrection), Healing Touch(Cure Moderate Wounds)".

DonDuckie
2010-03-03, 08:03 PM
Well, since it is "as well", I think you should include the second option I mentioned (or something else if you don't like the way I worked it), for divine casters.

Italicize the names of spells wherever they appear.

New Limb is pretty useless since it gives you 1 more use per day of an ability that doesn't actually come up that much, and which you can prepare at that level anyway.

The XP costs on New Life are going to mean it isn't going to see much play... most players would rather spend the x5 GP than the XPs. This is perfectly fine, but I thought I should mention it.

For things you put on the class ability chart more than once, list the degrees in parentheses in the chart. This includes the first time they get an ability. Thus, at 10th level you should have "New life(True Resurrection), Healing Touch(Cure Moderate Wounds)".

second option: I'm thinking it over, trying to come up with something.

italicize: I'll get right on it

New Limb: I think you're right. Looking at it, it should maybe be greater restoration, without the xp cost. which would be the cleanse spirit.

New Life: I disagree; using a supernatural ability is a standard action, and bringing a fallen ally back from the dead mid-battle can make the difference between TPK and victory.

parentheses: looks much better

Tao the Ninja
2010-03-03, 08:13 PM
Ranks in heal-3 would be better, in my opinion. Other wise you have 3 caster levels above anyone else.

DracoDei
2010-03-03, 08:15 PM
New Life: I disagree; using a supernatural ability is a standard action, and bringing a fallen ally back from the dead mid-battle can make the difference between TPK and victory.
Which is why they prepare Revivify... or have scrolls of it.

Ranks in heal-3 would be better, in my opinion. Other wise you have 3 caster levels above anyone else.
That is a good thing... healing is the "one thing they do, that they do better than anyone else".

DonDuckie
2010-03-03, 08:25 PM
Which is why they prepare Revivify... or have scrolls of it.

True.

Not prepare; just cast... spontaneous caster. which makes the following even more of a stretch.

That said, there could be an advantage to true resurrect some long dead warrior if the enemy was underestimated. - Okay, here I'm just trying to justify the feature, I like it and I think it could be a life-changer:smallwink: