PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Ways of getting more powers known?

KellKheraptis
2010-03-03, 06:42 PM
Other than the traditional EK and Feat Leech : EK from the Psicrystal. Oh, and for once in my DnD career of over two decades, I'm trying to avoid my usual Erudite mantra of overpowering Gouda.

Now that you've recovered from your heart attacks at reading the above, any ideas? The only other two I'm seeing are Elocator dip and Sangehirn dip, and for what I'm hoping to put it on, those don't really fit that well. I'm wanting to rebuild the Chrono-Legionaire off a base of at least 10 levels of Ardent for Dominant Ideal. Have at it!

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-03, 06:54 PM
The Extra Mantle feat doesn't give you Powers Known?

KellKheraptis
2010-03-03, 06:56 PM
The Extra Mantle feat doesn't give you Powers Known?

From what I recall it grants more options for choosing powers known. Otherwise, that's 10 powers for 1 feat (and problem solved).

PinkysBrain
2010-03-03, 07:00 PM
Depending on the campaign world psychic chirurgery might be an option (need 9th level manifesting services, in theory you could also buy power stones of it I guess to make it work with lower manifester level psions).

KellKheraptis
2010-03-03, 07:07 PM
Depending on the campaign world psychic chirurgery might be an option (need 9th level manifesting services, in theory you could also buy power stones of it I guess to make it work with lower manifester level psions).

Given that this is a formal rebuild of a pretty well known Psi-Gish, even stuff like that I'm trying to avoid, since then I can't in good conscience not use a Psi-Tat or Linked Power to ignore the XP cost :P I'm checking into Extra Mantle now, since if that does indeed add all powers to your "known" list instead of "available" it's worth it's weight in gold to all Ardents.

EDIT : Yeah, noble effort though Sinfire. It only adds the option of selecting the powers. Wouldn't that have been sweet...

Jack_Simth
2010-03-03, 08:26 PM
Given that this is a formal rebuild of a pretty well known Psi-Gish, even stuff like that I'm trying to avoid, since then I can't in good conscience not use a Psi-Tat or Linked Power to ignore the XP cost :P I'm checking into Extra Mantle now, since if that does indeed add all powers to your "known" list instead of "available" it's worth it's weight in gold to all Ardents.

EDIT : Yeah, noble effort though Sinfire. It only adds the option of selecting the powers. Wouldn't that have been sweet...

Let's see...

Psychic Reformation lets you reselect them. Using Bend Reality to duplicate the spell lets you reselect them as a standard action. Expensive, but lets you pretend to have more powers known... especially if you get good enough to Quicken it or similar.

Combines well with Psychic Chigury and a Psion-17 buddy (or Wiler-18 buddy) and two Thought Bottles (to save XP - one for you, one for the buddy; save XP in thought bottle, use Psychic Chigury to give all your powers to your buddy; refresh XP from Thought Bottle; use Psychic Reformation to select a completely different set of powers, use Psychic Chigury to give them all to your buddy; refresh XP from Thought Bottle; rinse and repeat until your buddy knows all powers you could have potentially chosen. Then, have your buddy store XP in Thought Bottle, and use Psychic Chigury to give them all back....).

Very, very cheesy, that ... and requires 9th level access.

What else is there....

Eldariel
2010-03-03, 08:40 PM
Can't you just research extra powers?

Jack_Simth
2010-03-03, 08:47 PM
Can't you just research extra powers?

The SRD's Psionic research section cuts off where the XPH's Psionic research section continues. The XPH has a segment that says this can't increase your power's known beyond the normal for your level, the SRD's version does not have that wording.

Samb
2010-03-03, 08:59 PM
Research is a dubious way to get powers because 1) it explicitly states that DM consent is needed and 2) only psions can research powers from other disiplines Maybe another psi user could make a whole new power, but that really needs DM consent still.

Chiurgery seems the way to go. If you are a thrallherd you don't even need thought bottle, just had your thrall take the full cost. Then get him killed and get another thrall and repeat the process.