PDA

View Full Version : The Academy Awards

Syka
2010-03-03, 07:03 PM
Not sure if this should be in Media, or here, but I figured we could have a general discussion. Plus, I'm never in media. :smalltongue:

So...favorites?

Right now, I'm torn between Up in the Air and Hurt Locker for Best Picture. If Avatar wins I will lose all faith in the Academy. It's a pretty, pretty movie and groundbreaking technically, but that doesn't make a good film; story line was a little too weak for it to qualify in my books.

Currently, I'm trying to cram in as many of the Oscar nominees as I can. I love playing "Pick The Winner"! (Back in 2006, the last time I saw most of the noms, I won extra credit for a class by having picked the most winners...and I was the ONLY person who called the Best Picture going to Crash over Brokeback Mountain.)

ETA: Damn, I forgot D9 was nominated too...All three of these are such different films but so well executed.

golentan
2010-03-03, 07:13 PM
I'm for Up in the Air for best picture, but to be honest I will throw a hissy fit if Avatar doesn't win a boatload of other awards (Art Direction, Cinematography, and Visual Effects among others).

Syka
2010-03-03, 07:32 PM
I'm for Up in the Air for best picture, but to be honest I will throw a hissy fit if Avatar doesn't win a boatload of other awards (Art Direction, Cinematography, and Visual Effects among others).

I'm sooo going for Art Direction and Visual Effects for Avatar. Those it freaking deserves. C'mon...IT WAS SO DAMN PRETTY!

But for cinematography...I'm actually rooting for Hurt Locker. Much of it flies very very under the radar, but their cinematographer deserves big kudos for it. It's got a documentary style feel without feeling amateur, but more than that- he knows how to frame shots extraordinarily well. That man knows how to shoot a great film.

Haruki-kun
2010-03-04, 12:09 AM
ZOMG, I THINK AVATAR SHOULD WIN EVERYTHING INCLUDING BEST PICTURE!

No, actually, I don't. :smalltongue:

It should win everything for special effects, though.

Innis Cabal
2010-03-04, 12:12 AM
Honestly, who cares? Has any one ever -really- cared what awards a movie got? Its all a popularity contest. Its like Prom or Homecomming, only more lavish and on TV.

golentan
2010-03-04, 12:29 AM
Honestly, who cares? Has any one ever -really- cared what awards a movie got? Its all a popularity contest. Its like Prom or Homecomming, only more lavish and on TV.

You're just saying that because you couldn't get a date...

Eh, it's good. I always try to at least see the best picture if I had missed it before. It's a cultural event, Hollywood deciding what direction it wants to go in the future, what's quality and what's box office (no, popular doesn't always win), and the like.

I do feel bad that they tend to snub certain groups/individuals (Elfman got ROBBED on his nominations... ROBBED!) but it's not too bad. Sure it's subjective, but movie quality is. Art in general is entirely subjective, and it's an award show about such things. To quote a critic I know:

"YES it's only my opinion. But does anyone pay YOU to read YOUR opinion? No? Then shut up! I have a column to write.*"

*Not intended as denigration of Innis, just find it silly whenever someone calls a judging matter a popularity contest like that's wholly a bad thing.

Haruki-kun
2010-03-04, 12:45 AM

Honestly? No, couldn't care less. Academy Award winners tend to not be very enjoyable in my book (inb4 a thousand replies saying "what about this one?").

toasty
2010-03-04, 12:48 AM
I think the only movie I watched worth mentioning this year was District 9.

The only movie I watched worth mentioning Last year was the Dark Knight.

Both were, of course, amazing, but I haven't really watched anything else. I blame it on my location and the fact I'd rather spend my time practicing my DotA/LoL skillz.

Katana_Geldar
2010-03-04, 12:55 AM
I am holding out for Inglourious Basterds for Best Original Screenplay, it's not Best Picture quality but then few Tarantino films are. Where Tarantino always shines is in his screenplay, and I will be disappointed if this doesn't win.

I would also like to see Young Victoria for costumes.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-03-04, 01:36 AM
I am holding out for Inglourious Basterds for Best Original Screenplay, it's not Best Picture quality but then few Tarantino films are. Where Tarantino always shines is in his screenplay, and I will be disappointed if this doesn't win.

I would also like to see Young Victoria for costumes.

I'd also like to see the guy who played Hans Landa win something. *nods*

I should ask my friends for their thoughts...two of them are film majors, after all.

Katana_Geldar
2010-03-04, 01:56 AM
Of course, Christoph Waltz for Best Supporting Actor! How could I forget someone who could be so evil and funny in the same film?

Too bad this didn't happen (http://mugglenet.com/app/news/full_story/3313). I understand JK Rowling, but I hardly consider Stephanie Meyer a proper writer.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2010-03-04, 02:09 AM
Here is my list for my favourites:

1st Place: Academy of Athens. Check out those statues!

http://www.chem.uoa.gr/location/athensmap/Images/academy.jpg

2nd: Pennsylvania's academy of the fine Arts, in the city, yet still fashionable!

http://www.stateuniversity.com/assets/logo/image/9107/large/academy.jpg

3rd: Londons Academy was great in that movie!

http://www.urban75.org/london/images/royal-academy-08.jpg

I'm hoping I have my picks right, got a bit of a wager going in the Management!

:smallbiggrin:

Athaniar
2010-03-04, 06:35 AM
Me, I hope Avatar wins everything it's nominated for. It truly is the greatest movie ever made (and don't try to convince me otherwise, it's a matter of opinion).

CollinPhillips
2010-03-04, 09:01 AM
I hope Kathryn Bigelow wins for best director. The Hurt Locker was the only film I saw in 2009 that I didn't regret and saw sober.

Syka
2010-03-04, 10:37 AM

I understand a lot of people don't care, but as one who has always had an interest in film and who, more recently, is considering becoming a film producer, it is important to me.

And correction- Golden Globes is a popularity contest. Academy Awards are not any more a popularity contest than any other fields award's ceremonies. The Oscars are chosen by fellow filmmakers, NOT the public. Otherwise, Brokeback Mountain would have won back in 2006.

It's also shown in the fact that, well, generally the highest grossing 'most popular' films regularly don't even make it INTO the Best Picture Category, let alone win it.

Academy Awards aren't much different than a group of scientists getting together and deciding who made the most contribution to the field. It's about actors, directors, producers, composers, writers, editors, sound mixers, etc who do amazing jobs.

That said, for Original Screenplay I'm torn between Inglorious Basterds and Up. For Adapted Screenplay, I'm rooting for D9, hands down. Up In The Air was good, but for adapting a screenplay...gotta go for the one adapted from a barely 6 minute short film. :smallwink:

Also, we've got a contest between my boyfriend and I. He's decided he wants Up In the Air to win Best Picture. I'm still undecided between that, Hurt Locker, and D9. So...this'll be interesting if I go with D9 or Hurt Locker. :smallwink:

Haruki-kun
2010-03-04, 11:08 AM
Me, I hope Avatar wins everything it's nominated for. It truly is the greatest movie ever made (and don't try to convince me otherwise, it's a matter of opinion).

No, it's....

opinion

......damn. :smalltongue: