PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Making Orko

Thurbane
2010-03-04, 02:04 AM
Anyone have ideas how to simulate Orko in 3.5? His class shouldn't be hard - probably a Sorcerer (or Wiz) PrC into Wild Mage...

The hard part is the race. A small race that flies without wings. His flight is definitely a racial thing, since other members of his race could do it too.

So, any thoughts?

http://i46.tinypic.com/2nb8x82.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orko

bosssmiley
2010-03-04, 06:34 AM
A largely pointless comedy sidekick who appears only as-and-when the plot requires. Hmmm. He's a familiar. Probably a crow in a robe (yellow eyes and all...). :smallwink:

Kaiyanwang
2010-03-04, 06:37 AM
Blue, pointed ear, small: An Udra (Frostburn).

Find a way to make an uldra with persistent levitation/fly/whatever, dress it properly and you are done.

EDIT: /cry... I remember Orko.. sniff.. I was very young...

Ossian
2010-03-04, 06:37 AM
Orko, Court Magician and Royal Jester

CG Trollan (Extraplanar)
Wizard 5 / Wild Mage 10
New feat: Fierce Wild Magic
Requirements: Arcane Caster Level 6, Wild Magic Class feature
Benefits: You must reduce your caster level by an addtional 3 for all spells you casts from now on. This reduction is cumulative with the reduction from Wild Magic, for a total caster level reduction of 6. However, every time you cast a spell, add 1d12 to your adjusted caster level, instead of 1d6.
In addition, you gain Random Deflection 1/day (as the wild mage class feature). If you already have this ability, you gain an additional daily use.
-----------
The above was taken from one of my favorite conversions on the web (I was so happy when I stumbled upon it!). Check it out, it's totally worth it. There are more details on other races of Eternia & Co.

Masters (http://ralp.net/dungeons/he-man/) :smallsmile:

Ossian

Thurbane
2010-03-04, 05:50 PM
Cool, nice ideas, both (not so sure about the familiar...yeah, I know, Orko is comic relief).

If you were to build him with existing 3.X material, rather than homebrew, how would you do it?

Uldra seems like a good idea for race, or maybe a Blue (Goblin) - but I don't think psionics would fit with Orko.

Any idea how to get a continuous Fly or Levitate effect?

Starscream
2010-03-04, 06:29 PM
I have the perfect item for you, from the my thread about the Animated Series Handbook:

Presto's Hat: Okay, this could probably break a game if used wisely. First it acts as a Rod of Wonder. Yawn. But it also can produce any spell component of up to 1000gp value. Sweet! They disappear after a round, so you can't use this for infinite wealth generation, but it'll still save a fortune. Thirdly, the hat can automatically empower any spell you cast. No increase in level, usable an infinite number of times a day. Fourth, it can be used to immediately cast any spell in your spellbook in place of one you have prepared. Since wizards can have a ton of spells in their tomes, this is awesome.

However, there is a downside; if you use either the empower or spell-swap functions you roll d%. There's about a 1/3 chance that the spell gets wasted and a Rod of Wonder effect happens instead, a 1/3 chance that it works, and a 1/3 chance that it works and you get the effect. Pretty neat, if unreliable.

Sounds pretty Orko-like to me. He was almost never seen using his spellbook, even though he had one, and his spells were prone to going awry. He also like to produce stuff from his hat a lot.

Thurbane
2010-03-04, 06:38 PM
Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing just before...I've got the Animated Series and the handbook at home. I agree that it would be a very good match for Orko's hat. :smallsmile:

Starscream
2010-03-04, 06:46 PM
Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing just before...I've got the Animated Series and the handbook at home. I agree that it would be a very good match for Orko's hat. :smallsmile:

Should have guessed you'd have it, from your avatar. Personally, for 25k I can't see any reason any mid/high level wizard wouldn't have one of those things.

They'll pay for themselves in components, effectively give you the "eschew" feat for free, can allow you to still cast spells even if you lose your spellbook, and combined with Wild Mage, the 2/3 effectiveness of the special features pretty much becomes 8/9 effectiveness.

Heck, you don't even need to wear the thing to get those advantages, so you can keep your headbands of intellect. It'd probably be part of every high level wizard's standard gear if more people knew about it.

Thurbane
2010-03-04, 07:58 PM
Yeah, it's basically broken-good. So is Hank's bow, pretty much.

...on a sidenote, I'm hoping to use the DVD box set to hook some of my friends' kids on D&D. Same with the animated Dragonlance movie. :smallbiggrin:

Darrin
2010-03-04, 10:17 PM
The hard part is the race. A small race that flies without wings. His flight is definitely a racial thing, since other members of his race could do it too.

Air Mephling, from the Planar Handbook. Small size and 10' flight speed (perfect), only +1 LA.

As far as class... my gut says Warlock, but I could see Bard or Beguiler.