PDA

View Full Version : Substitution Levels (sources)

Yora
2010-03-04, 07:43 AM
I'm considering creating substitution levels for my homebrew setting and would like to get as much reference as possible.
But I'd rather want to ask you if you could tell me what books have substitution levels than to spend hours on the floor of my friends book shelve to go through all the books to look it up manually. :smallbiggrin:
So, which books have substituation levels? I know about Races of Stone/the Wild and Unearthed Arcana has the Paragon levels. where else could I find some?

Eldariel
2010-03-04, 08:17 AM
This should suit your purposes (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872054/Alternative_Class_Features_III). By book and class, but it's all in there.

Generally though, the Races of-series (including Races of Eberron) has Substitutions as does Drow of the Underdark.

KillianHawkeye
2010-03-04, 08:27 AM
It's pretty much just the various race books.

Races of Destiny covers Half-Elves and Half-Orcs.
Races of Stone covers Dwarves, Gnomes, and Goliaths.
Races of the Dragon covers Dragonborn, Kobolds, Spellscales, and other dragonblood creatures.
Races of the Wild covers Elves, Halflings, and Raptorans.
Races of Eberron covers Changelings, Kalashtar, Shifters, and Warforged.

In addition, the Planar Handbook has planar substitution levels which are not tied to any particular race, and Magic of Incarnum has various incarnum-themed racial substitution levels.

That's all I could find. I hope it helps.

EDIT: I couldn't find any substitution levels in Drow of the Underdark, but there is a section of alternative class features.

Yora
2010-03-04, 08:45 AM
Nice. Thanks a lot.

AslanCross
2010-03-04, 04:53 PM
Magic of Eberron has the psionic artificer. While it's not a racial substitution ruleset per se, it does replace what the artificer usually gets.

Eldariel
2010-03-04, 05:09 PM
EDIT: I couldn't find any substitution levels in Drow of the Underdark, but there is a section of alternative class features.

I think the Drow ACFs are quite equivalent to Subs levels, except that they can be read to allow you to pick 'em up as any race.

Soranar
2010-03-05, 09:38 PM
Complete Champion and Champion of Valor has many, many substitution levels/alternate class features

KillianHawkeye
2010-03-07, 01:53 AM
ACFs aren't the same as thing as substitution levels. There's plenty more sources for ACFs (Complete Champion, Dungeonscape, Drow of the Underdark, Dragon Magic, Player's Handbook II, Unearthed Arcana, and I think there's some in the environment books).

I'll agree that sub levels and ACFs share a similarity (in that they're both about replacing certain abilities with something else), but the OPs question was specifically concerning sub levels.

Tao the Ninja
2010-03-07, 01:14 PM
ACFs aren't the same as thing as substitution levels. There's plenty more sources for ACFs (Complete Champion, Dungeonscape, Drow of the Underdark, Dragon Magic, Player's Handbook II, Unearthed Arcana, and I think there's some in the environment books).

I'll agree that sub levels and ACFs share a similarity (in that they're both about replacing certain abilities with something else), but the OPs question was specifically concerning sub levels.

And Complete Mage.

KillianHawkeye
2010-03-07, 05:45 PM
And Complete Mage.

Damn, I knew I was forgetting something! :smallannoyed: