PDA

View Full Version : What do you think is going on with Niu?

Cisturn
2010-03-04, 11:38 AM
So we know that she's probably a low to mid level fighter with at least one level in rogue. But when we see her in 705 she's duel wielding a hammer and mace (i think), she's got potions strapped around her and what looks like a holy symbol around her neck. What do you think? Crazy Cross-classing? Or does she just like to go on a mission prepared?

hamishspence
2010-03-04, 11:40 AM
Maybe she's secretly a Factotum?

(class in Dungeonscape, which Rich Burlew helped write, and which has already contributed to the strip- the acid-breathing shark)

They can have both sneak attack and turn undead- and are OK at ordinary fighting as well.

Nimrod's Son
2010-03-04, 11:41 AM
It's a joke. Thanh told her to expect a skeleton crew, she came prepared to fight actual skeletons.

Optimystik
2010-03-04, 11:42 AM
(class in Dungeonscape, which Rich Burlew helped write, and which has already contributed to the strip- the acid-breathing shark)

Dungeonscape has acid-breathing sharks? :smalleek:
(Can we attach laser beams to their heads?)

hamishspence
2010-03-04, 11:45 AM
Hmm- maybe there's a Scorching Ray graft somewhere :smallamused:

The phrase "They'll let any old hack write a sourcebook these days" was a ironic "Take That" to himself.

Personally I think Dungeonscape is one of the better sourcebooks out there.

Dr Bwaa
2010-03-04, 11:55 AM
I'd be pretty happy if she were a Factotum (I agree that Dungeonscape is one of the best 3.5 sourcebooks out there), but I think it's more likely that she just wanted to be prepared (various kinds of bludgeoning weapons for the skeles, holy water/symbols at the ready, etc).

Starscream
2010-03-04, 12:12 PM
It's a joke. Thanh told her to expect a skeleton crew, she came prepared to fight actual skeletons.

Agreed. Bludgeoning weapons, and the vials are probably holy water. She's loaded for skeletons.

Personally I think Dungeonscape is one of the better sourcebooks out there.

Also agreed. The Factotum is a great base class, and most of the other stuff is quite well balanced and useful.

derfenrirwolv
2010-03-04, 12:16 PM
Niu has

A mace

A maul

A holy symbol

A bandolier of Holy water.

These are all objects with which to fight SKELETONS, since she was told the guard would be a SKELETON crew.

Skeletons have damage resistance 5/bludgeoning.. meaning that if you use a peircing or slashing weapon, the skeleton takes 5 less points of damage.. a considerable % of what most low to mid level characters put out in one hit. The mace and maul deal bashing damage, which means the skeleton takes full damage from the hit.

Holy water can hurt them regardless of their natural resistance and is about the only way to hurt them with ranged weapons besides rocks or tossed dwarves.

Starscream
2010-03-04, 01:22 PM
A holy symbol

Hmmm, didn't notice the holy symbol. Is Niu a cleric or paladin, then? Because otherwise it's just a fashionable accessory.

Optimystik
2010-03-04, 01:25 PM
Hmmm, didn't notice the holy symbol. Is Niu a cleric or paladin, then? Because otherwise it's just a fashionable accessory.

As hamish suggested, she might be a nod to a Factotum - they use them too.

hamishspence
2010-03-04, 01:28 PM
The other possibility I suggested, in the main thread for strip 705, was vampire spawn or vampires- anyone with a holy symbol- not just clerics, can "strongly present" it- keeping vampires from approaching.

Scarlet Knight
2010-03-04, 02:27 PM
Maybe she's just "Niu" to fighting skellies?

Snake-Aes
2010-03-04, 02:36 PM

You do not deserve your account.

Optimystik
2010-03-04, 02:56 PM
You do not deserve your account.

Oh come now... skeletons are a ripe subject for a little ribbing.

Asta Kask
2010-03-04, 03:15 PM
Sticks and stones may break my bones but puns will never hurt me. Or so I thought. :smallfrown:

veti
2010-03-04, 03:30 PM

Unless - and I realise this is a pretty off the wall suggestion, I don't think I've ever met such a character in D&D but it is theoretically possible - she actually believes in her gods and takes some personal comfort from carrying their symbol, even though it's of no in-game value.

Well, you never know.

Snake-Aes
2010-03-04, 03:35 PM
Unless - and I realise this is a pretty off the wall suggestion, I don't think I've ever met such a character in D&D but it is theoretically possible - she actually believes in her gods and takes some personal comfort from carrying their symbol, even though it's of no in-game value.

Well, you never know.

Or, if I may dare... she has a superstition!

Asta Kask
2010-03-04, 03:53 PM
Maybe this is a throwaway joke with no deeper plot significance?

Naaaah!

Scarlet Knight
2010-03-04, 04:01 PM

Well, you never know.

No in-game value? But that would mean...OK, who let in the role-player?

licoot
2010-03-04, 04:12 PM
i thought it was because she thought they were fighting skeletons.

Snake-Aes
2010-03-04, 04:17 PM
i thought it was because she thought they were fighting skeletons.

It is. But apparently it's not fun reaching simple conclusions. I say hi to you, clearly i'm interested in having relationships with your <insert relative> while dressing as <insert oots character>, all the while singing to Meet Me in St Louis.

Even though I just said Hi.

Durgok
2010-03-04, 05:06 PM
It is. But apparently it's not fun reaching simple conclusions. I say hi to you, clearly i'm interested in having relationships with your <insert relative> while dressing as <insert oots character>, all the while singing to Meet Me in St Louis.

Even though I just said Hi.

You mean you're not?... :smallfrown:

Snake-Aes
2010-03-04, 07:53 PM
I'm not. I'm happily married with a playboy bunny girl.

ref
2010-03-04, 08:57 PM

WHAT? Pics!

CrimsonAngel
2010-03-04, 09:01 PM
Skeletons hate blunt damage and that's holy water and a holy symbol.

Beorn080
2010-03-05, 05:23 PM
Phylactery of Undead Turning

Ya, she isn't a cleric or other turner, but who knows? Perhaps a very generous UMD reading would allow you to turn as a cleric 4 levels higher then your cleric level.

ThePhantasm
2010-03-06, 11:56 PM
Fwooooop!

That was the sound of the punchline going over someone's head!

Felixaar
2010-03-07, 12:44 AM
Dungeonscape has acid-breathing sharks? :smalleek:
(Can we attach laser beams to their heads?)

Sig'd.

Also, I though she looked a bit like a tank, but I'm assuming it's more just to go with the joke. Not that that's a new opinion, I just said it to make this post seem worthwhile.

Crusher99333
2010-03-07, 02:12 PM

heard of sarcasm?

Shadowbane
2010-03-07, 10:55 PM

I have a bone to pick with this statement.

The_Weirdo
2010-03-08, 01:01 AM
I have a bone to pick with this statement.

Well, do you have enough of a spine to say what it is?

JoseB
2010-03-08, 06:37 AM

Of course he does! Don't rib him!

Shale
2010-03-08, 09:41 AM

You can't figure it out on your own? How thick-skulled can you be?

Pyron
2010-03-08, 10:01 AM

Would that make her a Niu-oob?

Snake-Aes
2010-03-08, 11:40 AM
Would that make her a Niu-oob?

You don't deserve your account either.

Pyron
2010-03-08, 12:06 PM
You don't deserve your account either.

:smallsigh: I'd niu you'd say that.

Shyftir
2010-03-08, 12:12 PM
:smallsigh: I'd niu you'd say that.

I think I just threw-up a little.

Kish
2010-03-08, 12:18 PM
Hi, Roland.

Scarlet Knight
2010-03-08, 12:44 PM
:thog: "Human and wildebeest walk up to prison. Gnu, not Niu, knew that Niu, not gnu, was new to ways to hew skeleton crew..."

I'm sorry, it just popped into my head...:smallfrown:

Magicyop
2010-03-08, 12:45 PM
This is cracking me up. Reading all your awful puns is making my ribs hurt.(No pun intended)

Maybe I'm just extremely childish, but this kind of 'running pun' still makes me giggle. I wish I had any sort of wit and could join in.

Snake-Aes
2010-03-08, 02:14 PM
You could try aniuway

licoot
2010-03-08, 02:46 PM
How long till this thread gets locked?

Roland St. Jude
2010-03-08, 03:02 PM
What, and ruin all the pun you've been having?

Tyndmyr
2010-03-08, 03:04 PM

All hope of stopping this punny buisness is lost. I niu it.

Asta Kask
2010-03-08, 03:55 PM
I'm shocked, shocked to find that thread drift is going on in here!

Flickerdart
2010-03-08, 04:21 PM
This is cracking me up. Reading all your awful puns is making my ribs hurt.(No pun intended)

Maybe I'm just extremely childish, but this kind of 'running pun' still makes me giggle. I wish I had any sort of wit and could join in.
All it takes is a bit of ingeniuity. You can do it, we believe in iu.

Magicyop
2010-03-08, 07:33 PM
I'm too niu to this pun thing. I don't think I'm very good at it, so throw me a bone here!

Scarlet Knight
2010-03-08, 09:40 PM
Don't be so stern-um. It's ok to be an ingeniu :smallwink:

Hurkyl
2010-03-08, 10:13 PM
Our heroine Niu as on the trail of the evil sorcerer Roselyn. Rose knew Niu was after her and prepared an attack, but Niu rose to the occasion and caused it to backfire -- Niu was polymorphed into an animal, and Roselyn into a reddish flower.

Roselyn the flower slumped over, as if dead, trying to trick Niu. As Niu turned as if to leave and, Rose stood back up and bloomed, trying to quickly cast the counter-curse.

But fortunately, the new gnu Niu knew that the rose rose Rose rose, and returned to finish her off.

(Yes, I know the setup is terrible. I didn't feel like spending a few days on it. :smalltongue:)

Dr Bwaa
2010-03-08, 11:35 PM
But fortunately, the new gnu Niu knew that the rose rose Rose rose, and returned to finish her off.

(Yes, I know the setup is terrible. I didn't feel like spending a few days on it. :smalltongue:)

This thread has reached a niu low. Not to start this thing aniu, but what if we were to reniu the prospect of assault on the niu Goblin city--not by land, but by caniu?

Tass
2010-03-09, 02:19 AM
Sorry for the on-topic post, but regarding the OP: Niu isn't really dual wielding, she is just holding two weapons, we don't know that she can fight with both at the same time.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-03-09, 02:27 AM
Sorry for the on-topic post, but regarding the OP: Niu isn't really dual wielding, she is just holding two weapons, we don't know that she can fight with both at the same time.

Under the Niu house rules, she can!

Anterean
2010-03-09, 04:23 AM

I Niu the moderators had a funny bone...

Okay that was aweful

Scarlet Knight
2010-03-09, 08:45 AM
Our heroine Niu as on the trail of the evil sorcerer Roselyn. Rose knew Niu was after her and prepared an attack, but Niu rose to the occasion and caused it to backfire -- Niu was polymorphed into an animal, and Roselyn into a reddish flower.

Roselyn the flower slumped over, as if dead, trying to trick Niu. As Niu turned as if to leave and, Rose stood back up and bloomed, trying to quickly cast the counter-curse.

So, the Rose rose was just a pose? Which the Niu gnu chewed? :smallconfused:

Magicyop
2010-03-09, 08:55 AM
I niu someone would try to go back to the original skeleton of this thread. We've been having so much pun here.

fishguy
2010-03-09, 04:05 PM
these puns are oss-um

Scarlet Knight
2010-03-09, 04:13 PM
Now THAT was humerus! :smallbiggrin:

Hurkyl
2010-03-10, 03:08 AM
This thread has reached a niu low.
Thanh Niu, Thanh Niu very much!

Scarlet Knight
2010-03-10, 11:43 AM
Bravo! Very well played!

Argetlam15
2010-03-11, 06:54 AM
Oh! Stop the punishment! It is bone-nummingly horribad :P

Asta Kask
2010-03-11, 07:14 AM
That's it. I'm giving you all a sternum warning. If you don't stup punning, I'll send in my crack phalanges to take care of you.

Deca
2010-03-11, 07:29 AM
That's it. I'm giving you all a sternum warning. If you don't stup punning, I'll send in my crack phalanges to take care of you.

Such nius chills me to the bone.

derfenrirwolv
2010-03-11, 08:53 AM
I see the bone headed puns are not abating. We'll have to call FEMUR, xykons emergency response crisis squad. (Fanged Emigrants Multigoblin Urgent Response)

Scarlet Knight
2010-03-11, 10:07 PM
I really enjoyed that so many readers used this thread as an aveniu for their creativity. We can't ignore these opportunities. As Xykon says, "Carpal Diem" !