PDA

View Full Version : Spy Network

quiet1mi
2010-03-04, 12:56 PM
So I was playing my beguiler (level 10 at the time) and noticed that I could cast dominate person about 4 times per day... When combined with the fact that dominate person last a # of days = to your caster level... I could ensnare 36 different people... (Having to cast D.P on the first 4 people.)

If I only hit low level NPCs, such as waiters at an Inn, a few people on the guard, beggars etc... I could create an effective spy network... As I can sense what is going on with what my victims are doing and with a full round action see from their point of view...

In addition, I would carry out elaborate plots by having the D.Ped minions interact with each other and transport "gifts" or exchange "goods" that appear to be normal...

For Example having a sneak thief (under my control)steal equipment from the city guard, only to have him mugged by the bouncer of an inn. The city guard in question did not let the sneak thief in the armory but decided to quickly get some brew before his shift allowing a window of opportunity.

While this provides a huge strain for any DM to have any of this happen, I could see the DM taking this Idea for a villain.... The puppet master.

I want to know what my fellow playgrounders think about this idea, for a player to use and for a DM to use.

Reynard
2010-03-04, 01:31 PM
In order to keep those 36 different people dominated, you'd have to have 4 of them meet you, the ringleader, every single day.

That's a gaping security hole.

2xMachina
2010-03-04, 01:34 PM
Choose them from people you meet everyday too?

Like the guard you pass on the way to the market everyday. The bouncer of your favorite tavern. Thief who happens to like the same tavern.

Though, IIRC, detecting dominated people has a pretty beatable Sense Motive DC. They'll act different somehow, and be noticed.

KellKheraptis
2010-03-04, 01:38 PM
You wanna keep it smaller scale, and try to keep from using the same people over and over. Only spam over the course of 2-3 days for big hits, and otherwise keep it as small as possible. The more innocuous you are, the better, and no one will be any the wiser.

Tyndmyr
2010-03-04, 01:55 PM
Choose them from people you meet everyday too?

Like the guard you pass on the way to the market everyday. The bouncer of your favorite tavern. Thief who happens to like the same tavern.

Though, IIRC, detecting dominated people has a pretty beatable Sense Motive DC. They'll act different somehow, and be noticed.

This is a problem at first...but keep in mind that if you get over the initial period, and you keep dominating the same people over and over again, this WILL be their normal behavior. Pick people without close friends or family, who are thus unlikely to have people quick to pick up on the ruse, but that meet many people a day.

It is risky...not least of which is the target rolling a 20, but it's a fun thing to try.