PDA

View Full Version : Vista Internet Security

Godskook
2010-03-04, 01:44 PM
I've read several websites about how to deal with this viral program, and I simply don't have the "other PC + USB stick" to do it with.

Anybody know how it can be done solely on the infected PC?

Lycan 01
2010-03-04, 01:50 PM
I had this a few weeks ago. Total pain to get rid of...

Spyware Doctor can remove it. But you gotta pay 20 bucks. :smallmad:

Ad-Aware worked for some people. Not for me...

Malwarebytes or something like that worked for some people. Not for me...

Spybot: Search and Destroy worked for some people. Not for me...

AVG is what I already had installed, and it couldn't find it, nor did anyone say it could remove it. Then, while running Ad-Aware, AVG randomly popped up and said it had removed a fake anti-virus from my computer. Sure enough, the computer had randomly cleaned itself up. :smallconfused:

So yeah. If you go back a few weeks, you'll find my thread on it. Good luck buddy... Hopefully you can get one of these to work. I just got lucky... :smallsigh:

pendell
2010-03-04, 02:52 PM
I've read several websites about how to deal with this viral program, and I simply don't have the "other PC + USB stick" to do it with.

Anybody know how it can be done solely on the infected PC?

Recommend finding someone who can give you the appropriate software on media such as a USB stick. If worse comes to worst, your local Microcenter or whatever should be able to accommodate you. It's not really feasible any other way, IMO, because that particular trojan filters web sites and blocks software on the local machine. You wouldn't be able to trust anything you downloaded while the trojan is active.

Hmm .. OTOH, the trojan doesn't know about Google Chrome. Perhaps you could use that browser -- but I suspect you won't be able to get to it. The Trojan might block it. If so, we're back to the 'friend or hired help with a clean PC' solution.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Corlindale
2010-03-04, 04:21 PM
Use Google Chrome to download stuff, it's perfectly possible. Goes right under the radar of the malware. I solved the problem quite easily on a single PC that way (mine was the XP Internet Security Version, though, but it seems they are all quite similar).

EDIT: Of course, if you don't have Chrome installed there might be another layer of difficulty in getting that - you probably can't do it without use of your regular browser in such a case.

Godskook
2010-03-04, 04:27 PM
Have Chrome. So far, no good on getting things past the virus with it.

Corlindale
2010-03-04, 04:33 PM
Hmm, then perhaps there are some differences between the versions after all, or maybe I just got lucky. In that case your best bet is probably still another PC, unfortunately.