PDA

View Full Version : quick question regarding obscure feats (3.x)

randomhero00
2010-03-04, 02:04 PM
Like from dragon magazine. IIRC there are feats for using almost any stat you want (like int) for +hit or +dmg on attacks but I forget for sure. I'm homebrewing a gish type class based off either int or wis and I'm debating if for instance his mental stat should give both +hit and +dmg in melee (instead of strength), or just say +dmg, and make the character take weapon finesse and up dex to use for +hit.

Make sense? So I'm asking what those obscure feats that let you use mental stats for attacks give, if its both hit and dmg or just one or the other?

Or should I just say screw it and making it a single stat class?

Tyndmyr
2010-03-04, 02:05 PM
Search for the X stat to Y bonus thread...it's around here somewhere, and has an exaustive list of all such feats, and it's quite handy.

randomhero00
2010-03-04, 02:11 PM
Thanks. Yup, looks like there is precedence for both +hit and +dmg. Now the question for myself is should I provide such for free, at lvl 1, as a class feature? Hmmm.

Tyndmyr
2010-03-04, 02:14 PM
Really need more info about the class before I can provide advice. I'd suggest popping up a full list of whatcha got, and what sort of theme you're building to. That way, you can pick up some advice regarding balance or style.

Kylarra
2010-03-04, 02:15 PM
Thanks. Yup, looks like there is precedence for both +hit and +dmg. Now the question for myself is should I provide such for free, at lvl 1, as a class feature? Hmmm.Do you want it to be an autolevel taken by every possible arcane gish?

arguskos
2010-03-04, 02:15 PM
Really need more info about the class before I can provide advice. I'd suggest popping up a full list of whatcha got, and what sort of theme you're building to. That way, you can pick up some advice regarding balance or style.
Ideally, in the Homebrew forum, which has a very healthy and actively helpful community that can give you a good hand on such things. :smallredface:

Greenish
2010-03-04, 02:16 PM
Really need more info about the class before I can provide advice. I'd suggest popping up a full list of whatcha got, and what sort of theme you're building to. That way, you can pick up some advice regarding balance or style.And I suggest making a thread of it on the homebrew forums (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15).

[Edit]: Yarr, bloody ninjas. :smallwink:

randomhero00
2010-03-04, 02:17 PM
Do you want it to be an autolevel taken by every possible arcane gish?

If he's based on wisdom, that should take care of that, I think?

arguskos
2010-03-04, 02:18 PM
And I suggest making a thread of it on the homebrew forums (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15).

[Edit]: Yarr, bloody ninjas. :smallwink:
Vivisectors, we've got Swift Invisibility and use it well. :smallwink:

Tyndmyr
2010-03-04, 02:19 PM
If he's based on wisdom, that should take care of that, I think?

Cleric Gish incoming?

Yes, homebrewing would likely be more appropriate for delving into the class itself.

arguskos
2010-03-04, 02:21 PM
Cleric Gish incoming?

Yes, homebrewing would likely be more appropriate for delving into the class itself.
He mentioned it'd be arcane, so, no. :smalltongue:

It doesn't sound hyper-useful honestly, though my recently posted Spellweaver base class would love it (though, they already get Wis to atk/dmg at level 1).

Kylarra
2010-03-04, 02:23 PM
Wisdom would be odd as arcanists are typically Int/Cha based. Whereas divine casters and such are Wis/Cha based. So there's precedent for Cha in an arcanist gish class, but not really much for Wis, other than pretending for balance.

It doesn't sound hyper-useful honestly, though my recently posted Spellweaver base class would love it (though, they already get Wis to atk/dmg at level 1).Maybe not hyperuseful, but most gish builds involve a level or two in a martial class, and if that martial class reroutes your attack stat to your highest stat, well so much the better. It's not like you weren't taking those levels anyway.

Tyndmyr
2010-03-04, 02:26 PM
He mentioned it'd be arcane, so, no. :smalltongue:

Like the arcane/divine line can't be crossed. =) I'll admit, it would be a wild build, but Im convinced that you could make a wisdom based arcane gish.

However, it would probably be reasonably balanced. The idea of a Mystic Theurge gish crossed my mind, but while interesting, it probably wouldn't be particularily powerful. Too many directions to get proper focus in any of them.

arguskos
2010-03-04, 02:28 PM
Maybe not hyperuseful, but most gish builds involve a level or two in a martial class, and if that martial class reroutes your attack stat to your highest stat, well so much the better. It's not like you weren't taking those levels anyway.
True, but I don't know any martial class that reroutes your key combat stat to Wisdom. At least, none that would mesh well with an arcane gish build.

I mean, sure, you can brew up an arcane Wis-based caster (I just did after all), but as the game stands, I'm not sure anything would really benefit. Now, a bonus of Wis to atk/dmg could be a nice bonus, but since no arcane gish is gonna have Wis as a key stat, I'm not sure how super-useful it'd be.

EDIT: Yeah, that's possible, but I don't know any way to do it successfully really. It'd be fun to see though.

Kylarra
2010-03-04, 02:33 PM
True, but I don't know any martial class that reroutes your key combat stat to Wisdom. At least, none that would mesh well with an arcane gish build.

I mean, sure, you can brew up an arcane Wis-based caster (I just did after all), but as the game stands, I'm not sure anything would really benefit. Now, a bonus of Wis to atk/dmg could be a nice bonus, but since no arcane gish is gonna have Wis as a key stat, I'm not sure how super-useful it'd be.

EDIT: Yeah, that's possible, but I don't know any way to do it successfully really. It'd be fun to see though.Well as I said, there's no precedent in making it Wis based. Yes, you could, given that it is homebrew, but the pre-existing arcane gishes, Duskblade and Hexblade, still follow the typical pattern for arcanists.

arguskos
2010-03-04, 02:39 PM
Well as I said, there's no precedent in making it Wis based. Yes, you could, given that it is homebrew, but the pre-existing arcane gishes, Duskblade and Hexblade, still follow the typical pattern for arcanists.
Basically just agreed dude. :smallbiggrin:

I do like the idea that Wis-based arcane casters can exist. I mean, "warrior-philosopher" is pretty sweet as a character concept after all.

Tyndmyr
2010-03-04, 02:41 PM
Swordsage caster variant? Possibly? I mean, it's a variant, and it'd be horribly broken regardless, so it probably wouldn't be played in any case, but hey...

Oooh, googling turned up the Dark Hunter (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030315a). Admittedly, not an amazing class, but one that you could make a decent gish out of, with wis based arcane casting. Nearly full BaB too, so with wis to hit, you could design a very accurate build.

absolmorph
2010-03-04, 03:47 PM
Cleric Gish incoming?

Don't most non-Cloistered Clerics kinda fit that regardless?