PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Spellweaver Redux - Soulknife Edition

arguskos
2010-03-04, 02:07 PM
The Spellweaver, my black sheep base class, returns with a massive overhaul. The spells and the spellnets remain, but I decided this might be a good place to mesh the Soulknife into a class that actually WORKS, is flavorful, and fairly decently powered to boot, but not game-breakingly powerful (since that's no fun at all). The intention is a solid Tier 3 or 4 creation, and I think I hit it perfectly.

The Spellweaver
"It is not the sword that delivers death, but the hand that wields it. So it is with magic, and the mind behind it. Think on this, my apprentice, and remember that magic is a gift. Use it wisely, always."
-Brynjar, Master Shaper of the Weaver's Way

To some, magic is straightforward. They use it to demolish homes, minds, or souls. It is a tool, to be used for good or ill as the user decides. However, a hidden and forgotten sect of spellcasters discovered that if you approach magic as an art form, a whole new way of casting spells emerges.

The Spellweavers are those who built upon that sect's hard work. Together with a clarity of mind and purpose, these enigmatic spellcasters have developed powers none can duplicate. A spellweaver can shape magic on an almost primal level, somewhat akin to a sorcerer, but more controlled.

The road to becoming a spellweaver is long and difficult, full of hardship and suffering. The spellweavers are arranged into a set of schools, such as the Weaver's Way, the Style of the Blade, and the Patient River, to name a few. Each spellweaver is trained by a master (a level 10 or greater spellweaver) of one of these schools in the basic arts of the craft, and is expected to take a student as they were taken under the wing of a master themselves. At the completion of their training, each spellweaver is granted their unique set of armor and weapons, and sent out into the world to make their fortune.

Hit Die: d8
Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Listen (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Cha), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str).
Skill Points: 4+Int Mod

Spellweaver
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+2|Spellweaving, Bonded Weapon, Bonded Armors

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+0|
+3|Bond Focus

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+3|Bonus Feat

4th|
+4|
+1|
+1|
+4|spellnet

5th|
+5|
+1|
+1|
+4|Strengthen Bond

6th|
+6/1|
+2|
+2|
+5|Bonus Feat

7th|
+7/2|
+2|
+2|
+5|Foundation of Wisdom

8th|
+8/3|
+2|
+2|
+6|Enhanced Spellnets

9th|
+9/4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Bonus Feat

10th|
+10/5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Improved Bond Focus

11th|
+11/6/1|
+3|
+3|
+7|Weavecast

12th|
+12/7/2|
+4|
+4|
+8|deathnet, Bonus Feat

13th|
+13/8/3|
+4|
+4|
+8|Walls of Wisdom

14th|
+14/9/4|
+4|
+4|
+9|XYZ

15th|
+15/10/5|
+5|
+5|
+9|Bonus Feat

16th|
+16/11/6/1|
+5|
+5|
+10|spiritnet

17th|
+17/12/7/2|
+5|
+5|
+10|Spellcasting

18th|
+18/13/8/3|
+6|
+6|
+11|Bonus Feat

19th|
+19/14/9/4|
+6|
+6|
+11|River of Wisdom

20th|
+20/15/10/5|
+6|
+6|
+12|soulnet
[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A spellweaver has proficiency in no weapons or armor (but see his Bonded Weapon and Bonded Armors class abilities).

Spellweaving: A Spellweaver casts arcane spells, but does so in a unique fashion. Unlike other spell casters, he cannot simply cast a spell at whim. Instead, a spellweaver MUST channel a spell effect through another object, be it his Bonded Weapon class ability, his spellnet class ability, or some other ability that lets him expend a spell for some effect (the Duskblade's Arcane Channeling ability and the Arcane Strike feat are examples). The only exception to this is 0th level spells, which are simple enough to use that the spellweaver does not need to channel them through an effect, though of course they may at their option. Finally, the spellweaver may not use metamagic feats, since they don't cast spells normally, nor may they satisfy the spellcasting requirement of crafting magical items.

A spellweaver's spells are based on Wisdom, and he derives his spell DCs and bonus spells based on his Wisdom score. A spellweaver knows all spells on his spell list automatically, as his rigorous training has drilled the spells into him at a young age. A spellweaver needs 8 hours of rest, along with 1 hour of meditation, to regain their spells each day.

Bonded Weapon: At 1st level, the spellweaver has completed his training, and so his master gifts to him a single masterwork weapon. He is automatically proficient in the use of this weapon. This can be anything the player chooses. It is suggested that the weapon be highly individualistic and unique, so as to really drive home the uniqueness of the spellweaver. If the spellweaver loses his Bonded Weapon, he may spend a single 24-hour period per class level in deep meditation to bond with another masterwork weapon. If he is interrupted for any reason, he must restart the meditation period.

While wielding his Bonded Weapon, the spellweaver gains a number of powerful special abilities. He may use his Wisdom modifier instead of another ability modifier for attack rolls and/or damage rolls. The spellweaver may summon his weapon into his hands as a free action at will. This is a supernatural effect. Further, as long as the spellweaver is holding his Bonded Weapon, it may not be affected by detrimental effects in any way (ie. it cannot be sundered, damaged, disintegrated, telekinesis'd away from him, disarmed, etc). If the Bonded Weapon is a ranged weapon, the spellweaver may use it without provoking AoOs, and if it is a reach weapon, the spellweaver may use it to attack at inside it's normal reach at no penalty.

Bonded Armors: At 1st level, the spellweaver has completed his training, and so his master gifts to him a set of masterwork armor and/or shields. He is automatically proficient in the use of this set of armor and/or shields. This set of armor/shields should match with the spellweaver's Bonded Weapon in a favorable way (ie. no getting a tower shield if you use a two-handed reach weapon, etc). Much like the Bonded Weapon, should a spellweaver lose his Bonded Armors, he may spend a single 24-hour period per class level in deep meditation to bond with another set of masterwork armor/shields. If he is interrupted for any reason, he must restart the meditation period.

While wearing or using his Bonded Armors, a spellweaver gains unique benefits. He does not suffer Arcane Spell Failure. He may ignore all Armor Check Penalties he would normally incur if it would be favorable for him. His Bonded Armors cannot be damaged or forcibly removed from his person while he is using them. He may summon his armors onto his body as a free action at will. This is a supernatural effect. Finally, his Bonded Armors grant him DR 3/magic.

Bond Focus: At 2nd level, the spellweaver gains their first taste of true shaping. As a 1 round action, they may charge their bonded weapon or armor with a single spell. This spell lies dormant in the object for up to 1 hour, at which point it dissipates, useless. If desired, the spellweaver may activate the spell as a swift action. If the spell is in his weapon, it triggers on the next successful attack the spellweaver makes, and affects them as per normal. If the spell is in his armor, it triggers as an immediate action the next time the spellweaver is affected by an enemy spell, spell-like ability, or supernatural ability, or the next time the spellweaver takes damage, and takes effect as normal.

The spellweaver may only have two spells charged like this at any given time, one in his bonded weapon and the other in his bonded armor.

Bonus Feats: At 3rd level, and every three levels thereafter, the spellweaver may select any fighter feat, any tactical feat, or any weapon style feat which he qualifies for.

Spellnet: <to be determined>

Strengthen Bond: At 5th level, the spellweaver unlocks the secret of magically strengthening their connection to their bonded items. The spellweaver may destroy other magical items to transfer their powers to the bonded object in question. Functionally, the spellweaver takes the enchantments from any given magical weapon, armor, or shield, and transfers it to their bonded weapon, armor, or shield. This process takes 1 hour, and cannot be undone. If the enchantment cannot be put onto their bonded weapon (ie. returning can't be put onto a bow, etc), then that particular enchantment is not transferred, and is simply lost. For example, Rathi the Spellweaver is bonded to a spiked chain. He finds a +1 flaming greatsword and decides he wants to give the enchantments on the greatsword to his spiked chain. He meditates for one hour, and at the end of this period, the greatsword is destroyed, and his bonded weapon becomes a +1 flaming spiked chain.

Strengthen Bond automatically overwrites any existing magical abilities the bonded weapon or armors have.

Foundation of Wisdom: <to be determined>

Enhanced Spellnets: <to be determined>

Improved Bond Focus: At 10th level, the spellweaver's ability to weave spells into his bonded objects improves. He may now have up to two spells imbued into each of his bonded objects at once.

Weavecast: At 11th level, the spellweaver discovers the unique ability to weavecast a spell. Whenever a spellweaver uses a special attack (such as a bull rush, charge, disarm, feint, grapple, overrun, sunder, trip, or any ability gained from a tactical or weapon style feat), he may cast any spell he has available. The spellweaver may use weavecast 1/day per 2 spellweaver levels he has.

Deathnet: At 12th level, a spellweaver has learned how to create a deathnet, a specialized form of spellnet. Creating a deathnet is a full-round action, and using it is a move action. A deathnet spreads all damage done to any living creature in the net to all living creatures in the net. The damage is spread around equally. The net lasts for 1 round/level, and has a 5-foot/level diameter. All living creatures in the area of the net when it is cast get a Fortitude save to resist the effect (DC=10+cha mod+1/2 spellweaver level). If there is only one living creature affected by the net, then the net has no effect.

Walls of Wisdom: <to be determined>

XYZ: At 14th level, the spellweaver gains something cool. :smalltongue:

Spiritnet: At 16th level, the spellweaver can create a spiritnet, a specialized form of spellnet, much like a deathnet is. However, a spiritnet performs the opposite function from a deathnet: where a deathnet brings pain to those under it, a spiritnet heals those affected by it. Any living being in the area of a spiritnet heals 2 hp/spellweaver level each round, along with 1 point of ability damage or drain a round. A spiritnet lasts for 1 round/level, and has a 5-foot/level diameter.

Spellcasting: At 17th level, the spellweaver finally learns to cast spells like a normal spellcaster. The spellweaver is a spontaneous caster, and can cast from his entire spell list like a Beguiler.

River of Wisdom: <to be determined>

Soulnet: At 20th level, the spellweaver unlocks the final power in his craft: the dreaded soulnet. A soulnet is much like a deathnet, but rather than dividing damage, it saps the soul. Any creature affected by a soulnet gains two negative levels each round, until the net's duration expires, or the creature dies. A creature affected by the soulnet gets a Fortitude save when the effect begins to resist the net (DC=10+cha mod+1/2 spellweaver level). If they succeed on their save, they gain only one negative level each round instead. A soulnet lasts for 1 round/level, and has a 5-foot/level diameter.

Spells/day{table=head]Level|0th|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th
1st|2|0
2nd|3|1|-
3rd|4|2|0|-
4th|4|2|1|-|-
5th|4|3|2|0|-|-
6th|4|3|2|1|-|-|-
7th|4|3|3|2|0|-|-|-
8th|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-
9th|4|4|3|3|2|0|-|-|-
10th|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-
11th|4|4|4|3|3|2|0|-|-
12th|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-
13th|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|0|-|-
14th|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-
15th|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|0|-
16th|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-
17th|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|0
18th|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|1
19th|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2
20th|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3
[/table]

Spell List:

0- All from the Player's Handbook, Spell Compendium, and any other source the player can convince the DM of. :smallamused:
1- cause fear, charm person, disguise self, doom, magic weapon, jump, longstrider, endure elements, protection from chaos/good/evil/law, mage armor, true strike, enlarge person, reduce person
2- heroism, barkskin, resist energy, bull's strength, bear's endurance, owl's wisdom, fox's cunning, eagle's splendor, cat's grace, aid, death knell, hold person, shield other, spider climb, tasha's hideous laughter, protection from arrows, misdirection, false life
3- bestow curse, protection from energy, water breathing, water walk, contagion, magic vestment, poison, dispel magic, greater magic weapon, nondetection, tongues, hold person, deep slumber, rage, haste, slow, blink, vampiric touch, invisibility
4- freedom of movement, break enchantment, stoneskin, remove curse, charm monster, confusion, crushing despair, phantasmal killer, bestow curse, fear
5- spell resistance, wall of fire, wall of thorns, wall of ice, wall of stone, wall of iron, feeblemind, hold monster, waves of fatigue
6- dominate person, blade barrier, wind walk, greater dispel magic, lesser globe of invulnerability, true seeing, greater heroism, veil, circle of death
7- wind walk, slay living, spell turning, insanity, power word: blind, waves of exhaustion
8- protection from spells, maze, otto's irresistible dance, power word: stun, iron body
9- regenerate, imprisonment, freedom, dominate monster, power word: kill, weird

In theory, I'll be adding more spells from the Spell Compendium, Complete Mage, Player's Handbook 2, and anywhere else I feel like, so just take this as a list of spells that are representative of what the Spellweaver can do. I did say all this last time... and never did it, so yeaaaaaaaah. Don't hold your breath. Do feel free to make suggestions though. I'm happy to add stuff you think is a thematically good choice.

Designer Notes:

Whew! This is finally done. I've been wrestling with the Spellweaver for a good long while now, trying to figure out something interesting and unique to do for it. I finally decided on a "warrior-philosopher" feel with Wisdom-based unique spellcasting, bonded weapons/armor a-la Soulknife, and the flavorful unique spellnet ability.

I kinda ran out of ideas near the end there, so please be nice. Also, if anyone has a good idea for a 14th level ability, let me know, since I'm totally stumped. :smallsigh:

arguskos
2010-03-04, 06:38 PM
Ok gentlefolk. It's been 4 hours, and this has gotten less than half the views that a thread about SHEATHS has gotten. :smallfrown:

I mean, seriously? It's like ya'll don't love me or something... :'( :smalltongue:

Someone's gotta have liked it (or actually read it), right?

Ashtar
2010-03-04, 07:23 PM
I would enjoy an example of Bond focus, spellweaving, spellnet and deathnet usage. I think I understand them, but an example always makes things clearer for me.

Also, if you lose your bonded weapon, must the new one be of the same weapon type (eg. I'm a bonded longsword spellweaver) or can it be changed (I'm changing from a longsword to a battleaxe). I'm guessing you can't change, but just making sure.

Also the table contains Blade focus at level 2 instead of Bond focus.

So when you start to get spellnet at 4th level, you serve as a buffing engine for you and your friends, but have to spend up to 2 rounds to weave it and then expend it within 2 rounds? Then you can move away and still be under the spellnet's effect.

I see deathnet as a defensive spell, to spread damage around the party. It's spread equally, so if I have 2 creatures and 1 get hit by 10 damage, both receive 5. If I have 3 creatures, each receives 3.333 rounded down to 3? Can that be diminished with DR? Like the bonded armour's DR? the party would gain great advantage to use that with Stoneskin and protection from energy.

At 5th level (with good wisdom), a spellnet of vampiric touch DC+2 25 foot diameter (5 squares x 5 squares =? 25 squares) seems really powerful. Do you gain HP for each creature affected? Admittedly you take 1 standard action to weave it and then 1 full round action to throw it.

Well that's my .02€. I'd certainly give it a try in a 1 shot game.

arguskos
2010-03-04, 07:31 PM
I would enjoy an example of Bond focus, spellweaving, spellnet and deathnet usage. I think I understand them, but an example always makes things clearer for me.

Also, if you lose your bonded weapon, must the new one be of the same weapon type (eg. I'm a bonded longsword spellweaver) or can it be changed (I'm changing from a longsword to a battleaxe). I'm guessing you can't change, but just making sure.

Also the table contains Blade focus at level 2 instead of Bond focus.

So when you start to get spellnet at 4th level, you serve as a buffing engine for you and your friends, but have to spend up to 2 rounds to weave it and then expend it within 2 rounds? Then you can move away and still be under the spellnet's effect.

I see deathnet as a defensive spell, to spread damage around the party. It's spread equally, so if I have 2 creatures and 1 get hit by 10 damage, both receive 5. If I have 3 creatures, each receives 3.333 rounded down to 3? Can that be diminished with DR? Like the bonded armour's DR? the party would gain great advantage to use that with Stoneskin and protection from energy.

At 5th level (with good wisdom), a spellnet of vampiric touch DC+2 25 foot diameter (5 squares x 5 squares =? 25 squares) seems really powerful. Do you gain HP for each creature affected? Admittedly you take 1 standard action to weave it and then 1 full round action to throw it.

Well that's my .02€. I'd certainly give it a try in a 1 shot game.
First, yay, someone read it. :smallbiggrin: Thanks man.

Second, lemme hit all this in order:
-I could work in examples, but it'll take some time.

-No, you can change around as you see fit.

-Good catch, that was the original name, I'll go fix that now. :smallsigh:

-That's right, you've got spellnets down just fine.

-That's... a good use of deathnet actually. I hadn't considered that. Good catch. I like it.

-No, since vamp touch only gains life once, you only gain the most damage dealt by the spell. That's just how vamp touch works. The spellnet just gives you lots of chances to get a good number. :smallbiggrin:

-Thanks! I hope you get that chance, I like it when folks get to use my work.

Jokasti
2010-03-04, 10:59 PM
1. Why d8? Normally spellcasters are d6- unless they're gish.
2. Casters don't normally get full BAB... once again, this is seeming gish to me.
3. Good saves.
4. Spells: put in a part about how they can meditate for 30 min-1 hour to replensish used spells, as base spellcasters.
5. The Bonded Weapon... wow. A cleric would dip a level for that alone. A little OP in my opinion, but could be balanced depending on other class abilities.
6. Bonded Armor... WOW. All of this at level 1, any class would dip for these alone. I think you should get rid of/power down the Armor.
7. I'm thinking move the Weapon and Armor up to 3 or 5. Cause way OP at lvl 1.
Will finish reading and editing later, gotta hit the hay.

arguskos
2010-03-05, 09:47 AM
1. Why d8? Normally spellcasters are d6- unless they're gish.
2. Casters don't normally get full BAB... once again, this is seeming gish to me.
3. Good saves.
4. Spells: put in a part about how they can meditate for 30 min-1 hour to replensish used spells, as base spellcasters.
5. The Bonded Weapon... wow. A cleric would dip a level for that alone. A little OP in my opinion, but could be balanced depending on other class abilities.
6. Bonded Armor... WOW. All of this at level 1, any class would dip for these alone. I think you should get rid of/power down the Armor.
7. I'm thinking move the Weapon and Armor up to 3 or 5. Cause way OP at lvl 1.
Will finish reading and editing later, gotta hit the hay.
1. They are a gish.
2. Still a gish.
3. He has 1 good save, to represent the idea that the spellweaver is a "warrior-philosopher.
4. It's there, at the end of the spellweaving paragraph.
5/6/7. I'm not sure they are all that powerful. The bonded objects MUST be masterwork, they can't be magical save via the Strengthen Bond ability, which doesn't come until level 5, giving you a reason to delve further into the class. Further, the bonded objects are kinda central to the idea of the Spellweaver now. I'll think on your suggestions though, I can see a Cleric dipping for this just to get Wis to atk/dmg at low levels, though at higher ones it's not so amazing.

zenanarchist
2010-07-28, 06:22 PM
argus man.

Nice. Very nice. But I think mayyyyybe going a little far with FULL spellcasting and FULL bab. Nerf one or the other.

Probably BAB since full spellcasting is a little more.....Spellweavery.

Just seems too powerful with full BAB and casting.

3/4 bab maybe?

Also this class would work extremely well with my Rune Lord.... Buff central for party members. Booyah.

arguskos
2010-07-28, 08:12 PM
Check the spell list, zen, it's entirely buff spells. I don't feel that full BAB is detrimental in this case.

zenanarchist
2010-07-28, 08:39 PM
Check the spell list, zen, it's entirely buff spells. I don't feel that full BAB is detrimental in this case.

Power Word: Kill, Slay living.

Who ya buffing with those? *wink*

Take em out, and then granted, keep your BAB.

But yeah, apologies didn't even noticed the 99% buff spell list, didn't even see the spoilers. Casting and bab mesh well in that case, especially so for the rest of those lucky enough to be on your party.

arguskos
2010-07-28, 08:45 PM

Take em out, and then granted, keep your BAB.
Meh. They're not amazing spells, but I'll keep that in mind. Any other thoughts?

Siosilvar
2010-07-28, 08:48 PM

[deity/afterlife of your choice here], of course.

zenanarchist
2010-07-28, 09:18 PM

Meh. They're not amazing spells, but I'll keep that in mind. Any other thoughts?

Apart from this class being pure sex? No. lol. I love the spellnet concept, it's gold.

[deity/afterlife of your choice here], of course.

Bahah.

Siosilvar
2010-07-28, 09:43 PM
Bahah.

Suppose it'd be their choice, though.

Gorgondantess
2010-07-28, 09:57 PM
Whoooooah, how did I miss this one? A full BAB, full casting gish with my favorite line of spells that's actually worth playing? Arguskos, you're doing god's work, my friend.

arguskos
2010-07-28, 10:20 PM
Whoooooah, how did I miss this one? A full BAB, full casting gish with my favorite line of spells that's actually worth playing? Arguskos, you're doing god's work, my friend.
Cause it's old. :smallwink:

Also, many thanks! :smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2010-07-29, 12:31 PM
Note: As of right now, the Spellweaver is unplayable, due to multiple mechanical changes (Spellnet/Enhanced Spellnet are both gone, to be replaced with something else; Bonded Armor/Weapon have been altered; X of Wisdom are all gone, to be replaced with something else). Just an FYI. Don't hold your breath though.

Gorgondantess
2010-07-29, 02:47 PM
Oh, dear. I just read things more thoroughly, and the spellcasting is wisdom based.:smallyuk:

arguskos
2010-07-29, 06:03 PM
Oh, dear. I just read things more thoroughly, and the spellcasting is wisdom based.:smallyuk:
:sigh: It's easily changed to Int or Cha or whatever you want, just change all references to Wis to the other thing and call it done.

Gorgondantess
2010-07-29, 09:03 PM
:sigh: It's easily changed to Int or Cha or whatever you want, just change all references to Wis to the other thing and call it done.

Still, it's the principal of the matter that's relevant.:smalltongue:

arguskos
2010-07-29, 09:29 PM
Still, it's the principal of the matter that's relevant.:smalltongue:
Explain the issue if you will. So I used Wisdom. What's the problem here? It fit the fluff I wanted.