PDA

View Full Version : Unusual templates

Tyndmyr
2010-03-04, 02:17 PM
I once homebrewed an aquired template(will post if anyones interested) that provides progressive bonuses as a character levels.

It's simple. If you take any level of a spellcasting class, you gain one level's worth of bonuses in place of said spellcasting. It also replaces all your existing spellcasting. This simple change enables a wide variety of builds to use it.

Are there any other similar concepts out there? The idea of such mechanical changes interests me.

arguskos
2010-03-04, 02:31 PM
I once homebrewed an aquired template(will post if anyones interested) that provides progressive bonuses as a character levels.

It's simple. If you take any level of a spellcasting class, you gain one level's worth of bonuses in place of said spellcasting. It also replaces all your existing spellcasting. This simple change enables a wide variety of builds to use it.

Are there any other similar concepts out there? The idea of such mechanical changes interests me.
I know of none really that are like that. There are a few in Dragon Magazine perhaps?

Also, yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing that in the Homebrew forum. It'd be neato. :smallbiggrin:

Tyndmyr
2010-03-04, 02:34 PM
It sort of sits on the line between an alternate class feature and a template, I guess. I just like the idea of broad "replace x with y" things, because they're so darned versatile....so much homebrew only works with specific things, but Im a fan of the stuff that can be plugged into literally anything else.

I'll pop it up later, I handed the only copy to the player who's using it, so I need to grab a copy from him.

arguskos
2010-03-04, 02:36 PM
It sort of sits on the line between an alternate class feature and a template, I guess. I just like the idea of broad "replace x with y" things, because they're so darned versatile....so much homebrew only works with specific things, but Im a fan of the stuff that can be plugged into literally anything else.

I'll pop it up later, I handed the only copy to the player who's using it, so I need to grab a copy from him.
Do me a favor, and PM me when it comes up. I'd be happy to take a look at it, but I might forget and not see it if you don't poke me about it. :smalltongue:

Anxe
2010-03-04, 02:41 PM
The Half-Outsider and Celestial/Fiendish templates all have progression as the base creature levels/gains HD. Nothing that I've heard of that outright replaces class features with template features though. Probably because that sounds more like you've just made a new class instead of a template.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-03-04, 03:27 PM
Otherwise, if you just like "flipping" through templates of awesomeness (like me), then you might like The index of Templates (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Templates.pdf)

(I think this is the third or fourth time I've linked to this in the past couple of days... seems odd somehow... hope that doesn't qualify as some kind of spamming...)