PDA

View Full Version : The Pre-Campain Handout [Any]

Volos
2010-03-04, 02:31 PM
I've already planned out the structure for my campain, I have all the epic villians, the plot and subplot, and all sorts of interesting plot twists and surpises inbetween... now all I need is players.

I don't want just any players, I want to know them before the first campain session. I need to know their personalties and what their character's goals are. I need a player questionnaire.

What sort of questions would you ask your players? What sort of information would you like your DM to have? What sort of information would you like to know from your DM before making a character?

Oracle_Hunter
2010-03-04, 03:02 PM
I find it is very helpful to write out a brief description of your proposed campaign. Emphasize tone, themes, and (most importantly) requirements for the players, if any.

For example, if you wanted to run a campaign that centered around the PC backstories you had better let each player know that they will need a DM approved backstory submitted before play can begin.

Know that asking a lot of your players is going to turn many people away from your games. An "overtly demanding" DM is one that is prone to being a "railroad DM" - at least in the minds of some.

Oh, and any setting notes, house rules, and play time constraints should be listed as a matter of course.

DragonBaneDM
2010-03-04, 03:08 PM
Prior experience, and if you ever read the 4e DMG, they list certain "genres" of players, like Slayer, Power Gamer, Actor, Storyteller, etc.

Have them pick which one you think they fit into the best.

Also, ask what they wanna play in this campaign, and if they know anything about the setting, if any.

Hm... Then ask what their favorite moment of DND ever was. That way you know what your bar as a DM is to make your campaign truly memorable. :smallbiggrin:

valadil
2010-03-04, 03:25 PM
It's really hard to get players to fill out anything like that. You'll only frustrate yourself by trying.

But they're usually willing to read. What's worked for me is to write up an advertisement for the game that spells out exactly what it is that you're offering. What I've had particular success with was saying "the game system isn't the D&D you're used to - we're playing a system called Valadil's game, which is loosely inspired by D&D 3.5." After that sentence, the rules lawyers (who I invited only to be polite) took no interest in my game and moved on. I didn't even change the system much, I just reserved the right to.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-03-04, 04:18 PM
It's really hard to get players to fill out anything like that. You'll only frustrate yourself by trying.

But they're usually willing to read. What's worked for me is to write up an advertisement for the game that spells out exactly what it is that you're offering. What I've had particular success with was saying "the game system isn't the D&D you're used to - we're playing a system called Valadil's game, which is loosely inspired by D&D 3.5." After that sentence, the rules lawyers (who I invited only to be polite) took no interest in my game and moved on. I didn't even change the system much, I just reserved the right to.

I'd fill out a questionairre if asked.

That's just mean, why did you want to get rid of the rules lawyers? How did that work anyway?:smallconfused: As long as you give the players a copy of the rules (which is only fair, they've agreed to give their time to make your story happen) they can still do what they do best anyway, unless there is a clause giving you permission to change the rules rapidly and without warning in which case you may as well only invite the people you think trust you (and maybe not even them if you want/expect that much power over the game).

Anyway questions to ask... What are some of the character concepts you may consider playing in this game? (Lets you know if the setting may need tweaking to accomodate things and gives you some idea of what the party is like and possibly some ideas for how they met/will meet) Are you okay with on the spot rules patches? (many people will accept the DM deciding what rule interpretation to use to speed the game up and reduce arguement. Not as many will accept the DM changing a rule on the spot due to balance issues, I expect)

Totally Guy
2010-03-04, 05:05 PM
At the start of the current campaign I'm running I devoted a session to running a demo followed by character creation.

From the character creation info I built the world around that. So it happened the other way around.

Each backstory relationship had a plot hook. And that was it. I don't think I did perfectly, there should have definitely been a big conflict and situation too, like what it sounds like you've been working on already, but I neglected that.

Instead we had:

Characters mentioned in Harris' backstory:
Luscious Polly - Someone is following me back from the tavern when I finish work.
Deranged Uncle Brian - I'm paranoid that the guard will arrest me for my sexual orientation. I joined a cult because they listen to me!

Thafray:
Jerome - I am a pompous git and I will use Thafray to get promoted.

Bob:
Daddy Sporrington - I gave Bob's magic compass to a crime lord but I'll have to keep it a secret.

Those things kind off all exploded together in a daggers and alleyway type theme. But the PCs came first, the world building second.

valadil
2010-03-04, 07:24 PM
I'd fill out a questionairre if asked.

That's just mean, why did you want to get rid of the rules lawyers? How did that work anyway?:smallconfused: As long as you give the players a copy of the rules (which is only fair, they've agreed to give their time to make your story happen) they can still do what they do best anyway, unless there is a clause giving you permission to change the rules rapidly and without warning in which case you may as well only invite the people you think trust you (and maybe not even them if you want/expect that much power over the game).

I wanted the game to focus on story instead of rules. The D&D players in that group at the time were only into it for mechanics. If I didn't try to scare them off, they'd have come to game expecting another game like that.

Worked great. It scared off the players who were there just to get into rules disputes. Players who knew the rules but still enjoyed story still showed up and they had a great time.

Yes I do try to write up any rules changes and distribute them. I always reserve the right to make spur of the moment rules changes, but I have yet to invoke it.