PDA

View Full Version : Is this too mean to do to players?...

Pika...
2010-03-04, 02:50 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/Picture1-2.png

So I just ordered this custom rubber stamp for when a player's PC...you know...and I a take his character sheet, pull out something from my man-purse and *CLICK* before returning his sheet to him.

Too much?

Kalirren
2010-03-04, 02:51 PM
LOL!

Absolutely not.

I love it.

Pika...
2010-03-04, 02:52 PM
LOL!

Absolutely not.

I love it.

Thank you kindly Ms.

Myou
2010-03-04, 02:52 PM
Why not just tear the sheet up? Or burn it? Seems more dramatic.

Pika...
2010-03-04, 02:54 PM

Because I am trying to go more humorish instead of mean, and this way they have a nice little memento of our time together.

arguskos
2010-03-04, 02:54 PM
Yes it is. Because you used the phrase "man-purse", I can not endorse this at all. :smalltongue:

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-04, 02:56 PM

Because then you are stealing a page out of Byron Hall's book (FATAL actually tells the DM to do this to a player's sheet).

I like the stamp. Need something like that myself.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-04, 02:57 PM
Yes it is. Because you used the phrase "man-purse", I can not endorse this at all. :smalltongue:

Seconded. :smalltongue:

Lin Bayaseda
2010-03-04, 02:57 PM
Since the stamp has neither skull nor crossbones on it, I cannot possibly endorse this idea.

DragonBaneDM
2010-03-04, 03:01 PM
Dude this is great! However, what about a revive spell?

You're just stapling it right?

Swordgleam
2010-03-04, 03:03 PM

This.

Since the stamp has neither skull nor crossbones on it, I cannot possibly endorse this idea.

That.

And the other thing: What if they get rez'ed? I think you should have some sort of resurrection stamp that gets stamped over (or next to) the death stamp to cancel it out. They could collect them.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-03-04, 03:07 PM
And the other thing: What if they get rez'ed? I think you should have some sort of resurrection stamp that gets stamped over (or next to) the death stamp to cancel it out. They could collect them.
I'd give each player a "Rez Card" and stamp it each time they die in a less-than-permanent-sense.

Get 10 rezzes and have the 11th on the house :smallbiggrin:

In the alternative, you could give each player a Death Passport. Stamp it each time a character of theirs' dies and write in who it was and how they died next to it.

Myou
2010-03-04, 03:08 PM
Because then you are stealing a page out of Byron Hall's book (FATAL actually tells the DM to do this to a player's sheet).

I like the stamp. Need something like that myself.

Hey, hey, I'm not calling it a good idea. I think it's an awful idea, the stamp too. But some DMs are just mean. :smalltongue:

Oracle_Hunter
2010-03-04, 03:10 PM
Hey, hey, I'm not calling it a good idea. I think it's an awful idea, the stamp too. But some DMs are just mean. :smalltongue:
More seriously, this stamp is only really appropriate in games where character death is accepted as a matter-of-course.

Hackmaster for example :smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2010-03-04, 03:12 PM
More seriously, this stamp is only really appropriate in games where character death is accepted as a matter-of-course.

Paranoia dude, Paranoia. :smallcool:

WalkingTarget
2010-03-04, 03:12 PM

Or CoC.

Or Paranoia. Of course, for that you'd have to collect 6 stamps before it really matters.

edit - lousy ninjas

Tyndmyr
2010-03-04, 03:16 PM
Too mean?

But they're players....

Cisturn
2010-03-04, 03:17 PM
i think that this idea is pretty funny, but make sure your players have that kind of humor too, one might lose his temper or something if he thinks it's more mean than funny

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-03-04, 03:20 PM
In the alternative, you could give each player a Death Passport. Stamp it each time a character of theirs' dies and write in who it was and how they died next to it.

I love this idea! (Also, some people like to recycle dead characters into NPCs or characters for different DMs so doing something permanent to the sheet could be annoying.)

valadil
2010-03-04, 03:21 PM
I like it. I think that in preparation for tomorrow's game I'm going to move the paper shredder to the game room by the GM seat. I don't actually intend to kill PCs, just make 'em sweat.

golentan
2010-03-04, 03:27 PM
Thirding the Passport idea. If you're rubbercutting the stamp yourself, you could even have a different one for each afterlife...:smallwink:

Pika...
2010-03-04, 03:48 PM

My upcoming campaign is called Goblins & Kobolds (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/goblins-kobolds)...

Pika...
2010-03-04, 03:51 PM
Too mean?

But they're players....

I like it. I think that in preparation for tomorrow's game I'm going to move the paper shredder to the game room by the GM seat. I don't actually intend to kill PCs, just make 'em sweat.

I like you two. :smallbiggrin:

I love this idea! (Also, some people like to recycle dead characters into NPCs or characters for different DMs so doing something permanent to the sheet could be annoying.)

True, but I have always seen that teh DMs still require them to reroll stats/wealth/etc anyway.

JeenLeen
2010-03-04, 04:12 PM
Some players might get rather annoyed if someone, even the DM, writes or places something on their character sheet without their permission.

Also, if they are revived, the stamp might make it such that the character sheet is less usable, such as if it covers up an area the player uses or might later want to use to scribble a note.

For those reasons, I would say not to do it. Not because it is too mean, but because it lowers the utility of the character sheet.

Octopus Jack
2010-03-04, 04:14 PM
I think it's a great idea but as long as you don't cover up vital information with the stamp

valadil
2010-03-04, 04:18 PM
For those reasons, I would say not to do it. Not because it is too mean, but because it lowers the utility of the character sheet.

That depends on the system. My 4th ed players are addicted to the character builder and print up a new sheet for each level. I don't think they'd care if I damaged their sheets.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-03-04, 04:35 PM
That depends on the system. My 4th ed players are addicted to the character builder and print up a new sheet for each level. I don't think they'd care if I damaged their sheets.
Well, if you just trash the sheet anyhow the stamp won't leave a lasting impression.

...OK, that pun was in service of a real point - don't bother using flourishes that your players won't care about. I know that my 4e character sheet lacks meaning (because the DM requires we print a new one out every level), but I am gathering a small stack of print-outs from the DM which act like a scrapbook for the campaign. Those papers are as meaningful to me as an AD&D character sheet.

BRC
2010-03-04, 04:36 PM
Why Do I Not Have One Of These!

Optimystik
2010-03-04, 04:41 PM

Thirded, or fourthed, or wherever I happen to land on the bandwagon.

Volkov
2010-03-04, 04:44 PM
No, Mean is dropping a Great wyrm prismatic dragon with 24 levels in sorcerer on a first level party. This is hilarious.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-04, 04:47 PM
I really do like the passport idea. That's amusing.

taltamir
2010-03-04, 04:47 PM
death is only a mild inconvenience.... what do you do when he comes back to life?

this could mesh well with the passport idea though...
"welcome to hell" and "welcome to heaven" passports. also "entering the prime material plane" for when they come back to life.

Pika...
2010-03-04, 04:53 PM
I really do like the passport idea. That's amusing.

Well, to be completely honest that is one of the reasons I run low-magic games. I can not stomach how easy and unimportant coming back from the DEAD is. Comic book style. Hence why I only read independent mini-series, if that, when it comes to comic books. :smallsigh:

Let's just say coming back from the dead in my games is very significant.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-03-04, 05:39 PM
Well, to be completely honest that is one of the reasons I run low-magic games. I can not stomach how easy and unimportant coming back from the DEAD is. Comic book style. Hence why I only read independent mini-series, if that, when it comes to comic books. :smallsigh:

Let's just say coming back from the dead in my games is very significant.
That's why I said issue one to each player. That way they can track their characters' deaths over time :smallamused:

Stubbed Tongue
2010-03-04, 06:00 PM

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pika...
2010-03-04, 11:13 PM
That's why I said issue one to each player. That way they can track their characters' deaths over time :smallamused:

OHHH.....

So stamp his book and sheet simultaneously?

I think you can get passports at Walgreens.

Hey, I like my man-bag-thing-that looks like a purse. :smallannoyed:

It hods my mac, two modules, two dragon issues, pens, paper, dice, 40K ordinance and flamer templates, and other odds-and-ends. Oh yeah, and my beholds and Hello Kitty hard drives!

Superglucose
2010-03-04, 11:17 PM
I can just imagine that character sheet.

Picking up a generic "VOID" stamp would work as well, as in, "This character is dead" with "VOID" stamped over it when they're rezzed ;-)

Pika...
2010-03-04, 11:20 PM
I can just imagine that character sheet.

Picking up a generic "VOID" stamp would work as well, as in, "This character is dead" with "VOID" stamped over it when they're rezzed ;-)

Imagine if I did not run ow magic. Some player's would have their sheets covered with red VOIDs over black stamps as above.

Frosty
2010-03-04, 11:20 PM
(FATAL actually tells the DM to do this to a player's sheet).
And since when is THAT ever an indicator of a good idea? :smalltongue:

valadil
2010-03-04, 11:22 PM
I like you two. :smallbiggrin:

In that case you might enjoy this. I'm planning on sending my PCs on a diplomatic mission to deal with some fire elementals. At some point they'll get invited to dinner and have to eat fire elemental food, which is much too spicy to eat. Players have to make endurance checks to avoid offending their hosts.

Here's where it gets mean. I'm going to allow the players to take on some of their characters suffering. For a +5 to their endurance check, all a PC has to do is swallow one spoonful of hot sauce. Not just any hot sauce, but Mad Dog 357. It's made of distilled habanero and ranks at 200,000 scoville heat units (jalapenos are 2.5-8k SHU and police pepper spray starts at 500k SHU just to give you a sense of scale). This stuff is so spicy that a single drop in a crock of chili makes for a dish so hot, it still burns on the way out. You have to sign a waiver just to buy it. And I'ma feed it by the spoonful to my poor, poor players.

Thajocoth
2010-03-04, 11:32 PM
In that case you might enjoy this. I'm planning on sending my PCs on a diplomatic mission to deal with some fire elementals. At some point they'll get invited to dinner and have to eat fire elemental food, which is much too spicy to eat. Players have to make endurance checks to avoid offending their hosts.

Here's where it gets mean. I'm going to allow the players to take on some of their characters suffering. For a +5 to their endurance check, all a PC has to do is swallow one spoonful of hot sauce. Not just any hot sauce, but Mad Dog 357. It's made of distilled habanero and ranks at 200,000 scoville heat units (jalapenos are 2.5-8k SHU and police pepper spray starts at 500k SHU just to give you a sense of scale). This stuff is so spicy that a single drop in a crock of chili makes for a dish so hot, it still burns on the way out. You have to sign a waiver just to buy it. And I'ma feed it by the spoonful to my poor, poor players.

In this scenario, if I was there, I'd actually leave, but that's because I'd get the effect of it as soon as you opened the bottle. I'm so weak to spiciness, when other people have spicy food across the room from me, the very smell of it burns my throat. I've never and would never consume anything even remotely mildly spicy, and generally need to leave when other people have spicy food because of this.

Since your players are NOT me, and hopefully not similar to me in that regard, however, that's a creative way of adding some bonus interactivity, and is therefore pretty awesome.

Math_Mage
2010-03-04, 11:36 PM

Fourthed. This will become a treasured possession.

EDIT: Oops, fifth'd. Invisible second page is invisible.

maniakmastah
2010-03-04, 11:38 PM
Lol, epic win, also, to fit with the humor, i'd say while you staple it to the char sheet or stamp, begin singing "Amazing Grace" Or "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" or play some fitting chapel music, then skip into something peppy and upbeat.

Flickerdart
2010-03-04, 11:40 PM
Valadil, you might want to get some release forms for it. That sounds less than safe. If your players don't know what they're getting into, there will be blood.

Pika...
2010-03-04, 11:44 PM

* Huggles valadil*

If only you were my DM. I would laugh with you as they did it (I always let the lesser intelligent people try stuff like that first). :smallbiggrin:

Please let me know if you're the first DM to kill both a PC and a player simultaneously.

valadil
2010-03-04, 11:45 PM
In this scenario, if I was there, I'd actually leave, but that's because I'd get the effect of it as soon as you opened the bottle. I'm so weak to spiciness, when other people have spicy food across the room from me, the very smell of it burns my throat. I've never and would never consume anything even remotely mildly spicy, and generally need to leave when other people have spicy food because of this.

Since your players are NOT me, and hopefully not similar to me in that regard, however, that's a creative way of adding some bonus interactivity, and is therefore pretty awesome.

Well, I'm glad you're able to appreciate my idea even though it would be problematic if you were playing in the game. FWIW I know all my players pretty well and they don't have your particular sensitivity.

Valadil, you might want to get some release forms for it. That sounds less than safe. If your players don't know what they're getting into, there will be blood.

I'm not sure if I'll actually have the guts to go through with it. This is just something in my long term plans that I hope I do. I'd be a lot more likely to give them a drop of spice on the end of a toothpick than a spoonful. And I plan on having chocolate, milk, and OJ on hand if anyone can't take the burn.

* Huggles valadil*

If only you were my DM. I would laugh with you as they did it (I always let the lesser intelligent people try stuff like that first). :smallbiggrin:

Please let me know if you're the first DM to kill both a PC and a player simultaneously.

Glad you like :-) If a player does die this way, they better let me post on giantitp from prison.

Pika...
2010-03-04, 11:46 PM
Lol, epic win, also, to fit with the humor, i'd say while you staple it to the char sheet or stamp, begin singing "Amazing Grace" Or "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" or play some fitting chapel music, then skip into something peppy and upbeat.

Steavy, is that you?

Pika...
2010-03-04, 11:48 PM
I'm not sure if I'll actually have the guts to go through with it. This is just something in my long term plans that I hope I do. I'd be a lot more likely to give them a drop of spice on the end of a toothpick than a spoonful. And I plan on having chocolate, milk, and OJ on hand if anyone can't take the burn.

Did someone say youtube gold? Because I am sure someone said youtube gold.

Flickerdart
2010-03-04, 11:53 PM
And I plan on having chocolate, milk, and OJ on hand if anyone can't take the burn.
And you expect any of those things to last more than five seconds around snack-happy gamers? :smalltongue:

valadil
2010-03-04, 11:57 PM
And you expect any of those things to last more than five seconds around snack-happy gamers? :smalltongue:

I won't keep all that stuff at the table. If they raid my fridge before I can deploy hot sauce, that's entirely their own fault.

MlleRouge
2010-03-05, 01:40 AM

Some people like to keep character sheets for dead characters as a sentimental thing :smallwink:

As for the stamp itself, that's adorable! As long as your players have a sense of humor and aren't the type who get upset at character deaths, i'd think it would be a hit.

Kurald Galain
2010-03-05, 01:49 AM
This would be great for Paranoia! More forms to stamp! Kill a clone because he hasn't signed his previous clone's death certificate! Happiness for all!

absolmorph
2010-03-05, 02:14 AM
* Huggles valadil*

That would be a major achievement.

taltamir
2010-03-05, 06:21 AM
And since when is THAT ever an indicator of a good idea? :smalltongue:

that was his point.. "fatal did it, therefore it is a bad idea".
although that is fallacious reasoning.

ka_bna
2010-03-05, 07:18 AM
Fourthed. This will become a treasured possession.

Let them have such a passport IC too, and it will literally become a treasured possession (and may give plothooks too).

taltamir
2010-03-05, 07:40 AM
Let them have such a passport IC too, and it will literally become a treasured possession (and may give plothooks too).

now how would that work mechanically?
would you be unable to come back to life if your passport is stolen?
(should call it a passplane)

Emmerask
2010-03-05, 07:56 AM
Some players might get rather annoyed if someone, even the DM, writes or places something on their character sheet without their permission.

Also, if they are revived, the stamp might make it such that the character sheet is less usable, such as if it covers up an area the player uses or might later want to use to scribble a note.

I do agree they should at least have a choice between stamping the character sheet or a stamp on the forehead :smallbiggrin:

ka_bna
2010-03-05, 08:46 AM
now how would that work mechanically?
would you be unable to come back to life if your passport is stolen?
(should call it a passplane)
That could work, when some lawyer of the plane says "You can't go back to life, 'cause you've got no proof you are admitted here".

So in order to get back to life, a PC may have to find his own passplane. Or, in order to keep the BBEG dead, they'lll have to kill him, travel to the plane where he went after he died, and steal his passplane. It might explain why not every commoner gets raised (apart from diamonds): only important persons get passplanes. Bonus: PC's will feel extra important when they finally get their passplane from some lawyer-outsider-something.

The same for planar travel: you have to show your passplane on the way in and the way out. Most planes will have Planar Border Guards who'll hunt illegal trespassers. An incentive to players to refrain from unexpected planar travel :smalltongue:

Sliver
2010-03-05, 08:53 AM
If one steals a passplane, will he be able to use it as his own?

Would you be able to transfer it? Some knight gives his loved one his passplane and she dies but without the ability to get rezzed, and the knight later dies.. Trying to resurrect the knight, the party is confused when they find out it is a female that was resurrected in his body..

Closak
2010-03-05, 08:55 AM
No, Mean is dropping a Great wyrm prismatic dragon with 24 levels in sorcerer on a first level party.

I did something like that once.

Except the dragon was a Great Wyrm Red instead of prismatic.

And instead of 24 Sorceror levels it had Gestalt levels of Sorceror/Cleric 30 (Yes, 30 levels of sorceror/cleric gestalt on top of what it already get's from being a Great Wyrm Red, suck on that, and it was Batman/Clericzilla with it's spells too)

And the party was level 5 instead of 1.

It was their own fault though, they insisted on exploring the cave of doom despite plenty of warning not to go there.

"Overkill much?"
"Yes, yes it was, but i did warn them"

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-05, 09:18 AM

The chemistry society at my school had a couple people find out about that and buy some, who then offered it to any takers--if they want, they can swallow a spoonful of that, then get laughed at for an hour as they start to melt from the inside out. Not being a chem major, I only found out about it because two players came to my Friday night game looking like they were about to die any second, and one of even went back the next day to do it again. It's the worst single decision he's ever made.

...so in other words, I completely endorse this idea. :smallbiggrin:

Pika...
2010-03-05, 11:58 AM
Wasn't there a Penny Arcade comic related to this?

Anyone have a linky (looked for half-an-hour) please?

Oracle_Hunter
2010-03-05, 01:19 PM

Related to what?

The Old Ways? (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/3/4/)

or

A Perennial Favorite? (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/6/22/)

valadil
2010-03-05, 01:36 PM

Or was it http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/8738/674455815tf4rdl.jpg ?

Oracle_Hunter
2010-03-05, 01:40 PM
Or was it http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/8738/674455815tf4rdl.jpg ?
I've never seen that one!

Where'd you find it?

valadil
2010-03-05, 01:44 PM

Where'd you find it?

I'm pretty sure it was just another comic they did. Maybe it was linked from the news/blog? At any rate I googled for everworm and there it was.

Malificus
2010-03-05, 01:57 PM

Where'd you find it?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/10/9/

Pika...
2010-03-05, 11:42 PM
Related to what?

The Old Ways? (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/3/4/)
[/URL]

Yes, THANK YOU!

desmond1323
2010-03-06, 01:58 AM
I think it's a hilarious idea....I myself like the symbolism of the funeral pyre, so I burn the player's sheets. Though I always give them the time to copy it over to another sheet if they want...but the original must die!

taltamir
2010-03-06, 08:33 AM
don't burn it...
1. fire makes a mess, smoke and ashes etc.
2. I like keeping old retired character sheets as mementos. and to use as cheat sheets when making new characters (to save time).

maniakmastah
2010-03-06, 10:27 AM
Steavy, is that you?

It may be, or it could be that evil voice in your head that compels you to wickedly fun things to your players. :smallbiggrin:

Roderick_BR
2010-03-06, 10:42 AM
Funnier than ritualistically burn the sheet, like I heard some groups do...
Problem is when the PC is raised. Do you just write a new sheet?
Still fun.