PDA

View Full Version : Bisected's one stop inking thread (I'll ink any sketch, enquire within)

BisectedBrioche
2010-03-04, 03:10 PM
I've been practising inking a lot lately. It helps me practise keeping my hand steady and (hopefully) forces me to analyse drawings and improve my overall ability to draw.

So...yeah. If you've got any pencils you want inking, ask away. Anyway, here's an FAQ.
Q. What are you offering to do exactly?

A. To explain what inking is and exactly what I will and won't be doing here's the goals of inking, as written in The Art of Comic Book Inking by Gary Martin (ISBN 1-59307-405-0);

The inker's main purpose is to translate the penciller's graphite pencil lines into reproducible, black, ink lines.
The inker must honor the penciller's original intent while adjusting any obvious mistakes.
The inker determines the look of the finished art.

Q. What do you ink with and what will the results look like?

A. I use a brush pen (it's harder to ink by hand than digitally, so that is how I shall practise). In theory this should make me able to draw smooth lines with varying weights, subtly emphasising the important features and lighting. In practise expect shaky lines and lots of smudging. Expect any hands to be ruined.

Q. What do you need?

Just a copy of the pencils (scan, photo, etc) as high rez, smudge free and clear of sketch marks as possible. If you want to make it easier for me to ink then you can indicate areas you want filled with black with Xs (rather than actually filling them or cross shading them) and make a note of anything I should know.

Q. Will you colour the picture?

A. No, sorry but I only want to practise inking at the moment. But you can do what you want with it afterwards. :smalltongue:

Q. Can't I just colour the pencils anyway?

A. BLASPHAMY! *pulls out flamethrower*

So...that's it. If you want anything inked (as I said), ask away. I might be a bit slow getting started (exams and coursework deadlines are approaching) but I'll try and ink everything I can. :smallredface:

BisectedBrioche
2010-03-12, 07:49 AM
Gallery

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4976/ninjamuffintsukikoinked.gif - v 1.2 Pencils by ninjamuffin (Version 1.0 (http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/4976/ninjamuffintsukikoinked.gif))

Ninjamuffin
2010-03-12, 08:03 AM
*Shrug* Well, I've already said that you can ink/colour/whatever anything of mine ya want.

Kasanip
2010-03-12, 08:37 AM
I do not have a way to put images from my sketchbook to computer without it being dark. It is easier to lineart on the computer for that :smallfrown:

If I can find a way, I will post here! :smallsmile:

BisectedBrioche
2010-03-12, 12:00 PM
*Shrug* Well, I've already said that you can ink/colour/whatever anything of mine ya want.

I hoped actively asking for stuff to ink would give me a sort of a queue to work at and drive to get it done (since I've agreed to do it rather than got permission to do it of my own recognisance).

I do not have a way to put images from my sketchbook to computer without it being dark. It is easier to lineart on the computer for that :smallfrown:

If I can find a way, I will post here! :smallsmile:

Thanks, there's no need to go to too much trouble, though. :smallbiggrin:

As long as the lines stand out against the backgrounds I can ink it.

Although, have you tried lowing the contrast and increasing the brightness of the images (I tend to find that makes digital copies pencils a lot clearer)? If you're using a digital camera to get the images then your best bet is to take the pictures in daylight using a camera with the flash switched off.

Ninjamuffin
2010-03-12, 12:37 PM
I hoped actively asking for stuff to ink would give me a sort of a queue to work at and drive to get it done (since I've agreed to do it rather than got permission to do it of my own recognisance).

Hm, well, alright.
Here:
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/054/9/8/Oots__Tsukiko__take_2_by_Crocface.jpg
There, no more recognizance for you.

BisectedBrioche
2010-03-13, 06:32 PM
Hm, well, alright.
Here:
*snip*
There, no more recognizance for you.

I'm on it. *draws pen and leaps into the shadows*

----

Sorry about the wait. I had to keep letting the ink dry to avoid smudging the hair/clothing. I probably should have changed the highlighting on the hair a bit to make the bunches a bit clearer, but hindsight's always 20:20;

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/4976/ninjamuffintsukikoinked.gif

Ninjamuffin
2010-03-13, 07:31 PM
Real ink, huh? Classy.
Actually, I kinda like the hair. Truthfully, if there was anything about it that bugged me, it would be the eyes. Ya got this habit of putting lines to show where the white parts stop, which looks kinda weird. Ya also might wanna go with a 'less is more' approach in some areas, such as the soles of the boots, and simply outline instead of filling in, since black ink doesn't really have variable shades.

But, no, yeah, it does look good.

I am curious as to why you added a bridge to her nose, though......

BisectedBrioche
2010-03-13, 08:53 PM
Real ink, huh? Classy.
Actually, I kinda like the hair. Truthfully, if there was anything about it that bugged me, it would be the eyes. Ya got this habit of putting lines to show where the white parts stop, which looks kinda weird. Ya also might wanna go with a 'less is more' approach in some areas, such as the soles of the boots, and simply outline instead of filling in, since black ink doesn't really have variable shades.

But, no, yeah, it does look good.

I am curious as to why you added a bridge to her nose, though......

Yeah, I can't help it, I used to forget to erase the circles I draw as a guide for the eyes and it became a habit (one I'm trying very hard to break). :smallfrown:

The soles were simply a mistake (I ink digitally copies of pencils by placing a sheet of marker paper over a printout so it can get a little hard to distinguish shades, I'm getting a light screen soon, so hopefully that'll become less of a problem in future).

As for the nose, I found it a little easier to draw the nose by doing it as a "ski jump" style nost (I tried to keep the bridge short to avoid changing it too much).

Anyway, by the magic of digital modification;

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4976/ninjamuffintsukikoinked.gif

EDIT: I've also noticed that I forgot to finish filling in her ear, but it seems to look OK anyway. :smallredface:

Ninjamuffin
2010-03-15, 01:16 PM
Yeah, looks a lot closer to the original that way.
Also, I really like how the glove turned out.