PDA

View Full Version : Monsters. Dangerous ones.

Adamaro
2010-03-04, 04:05 PM
I am looking for some good suggestions regarding monsters which can challenge lvl 20 casters. Challenge, and kill. Gloves are off.

So far I am thinking of invisible Illithids with track teleport and bazookas shooting rockets of Mordekais' disjunctions. Only save for casters is teleporting back to its own demiplane, but anywhere else its a swarm of Ilithid bazooka squads popping out of thin air right after.

Incorporeal swarms, tarrasques with gland of track teleport and greater teleport ... anything effecitve goes. Things are serious, mind you.:mitd:

Volkov
2010-03-04, 04:07 PM
Half Dragon, Half fiend, Paragon, Pseudonatural (epic handbook version), half farspawn 92 hit dice tarrasque of legend.

Indon
2010-03-04, 04:08 PM
A CR 20 Dragon would be fairly potent.

Adamaro
2010-03-04, 04:09 PM
A CR 20 Dragon would be fairly potent.

Oh please. Against lvl 20 wiz with celerity? Unless dragon has 20 lvls in wiz class, no.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-04, 04:10 PM
Three Words: Advanced Adamantine Horror.

Ryumaru
2010-03-04, 04:13 PM
Two words:

Adamantine Kitten.

Volkov
2010-03-04, 04:17 PM
Great wyrm prismatic dragon, with epic spells...

Adamaro
2010-03-04, 04:18 PM
Great wyrm prismatic dragon, with epic spells...

I like your way of thinking. Thinking that conquered Berlin :-D

Volkov
2010-03-04, 04:23 PM
Your Wizard won't be laughing much longer when he finds his contigency gets instadispelled by the Dragon's anti-other people's contigency epic spell. He will then cease to be able laugh anymore when the dragon uses another epic spell that creates a permanent, undispellable by anyone but the dragon itself, localized anti-magic field on the wizard, rendering him useless. A second casting will do the same to the cleric. The Dragon then tears the party apart.

BRC
When it comes to killing casters, it's all about the Circumstance. Hit them where they don't expect it.

Here is what I would do, have them go up against a powerful necromancer, talk up all the undead he has working for him. His fortress is under a Dimensional Anchor spell, so no porting right to his throne room.

Then, when they show up, let them handle a couple rooms of zombies/skeletons or whatever. They'll blow through it with ease. Mix it up a little with a couple living cultists, warlocks or something. If your players are halfway competant, they won't have prepared ONLY undead killing spells.

So, after they kill the zombies, and feel smart for handling the cultists, they run into the Necromancer's throne room, the Necromancer is there, guarded by some undead. The PC's kill him easily enough, when the fun starts.

As he dies, he lets out a dry laugh, and the walls slide open, and golems stride out. Shadesteels are the best here, but Iron golems would work too. If they focused on killing the Necromancer, he probably still has a couple undead minions around for the Shadessteels to boost.
If you played your cards right, your PC's will be caught totally off-guard, will probably have wasted their more powerful spells beforehand. If some of the previous undead had Spell Resistance, your PC's may have spent their no SR spells already.

Quirp
Definatly needs more Advanced Nightwalkers riding on Advanced Rust Monsters Dragons using scrolls of MDJ.

Adamaro
2010-03-04, 04:25 PM
When it comes to killing casters, it's all about the Circumstance. Hit them where they don't expect it.

Here is what I would do, have them go up against a powerful necromancer, talk up all the undead he has working for him.

Then, when they show up, let them handle a couple rooms of zombies/skeletons or whatever. They'll blow through it with ease. Mix it up a little with a couple living cultists, warlocks or something. If your players are halfway competant, they won't have prepared ONLY undead killing spells.

So, after they kill the zombies, and feel smart for handling the cultists, they run into a room much like the others, some undead shamble out of the shadows, but some of them arn't undead. Some of them are Golems. Shadesteel Golems are preferred here, but Iron golems would work too, flooding the room with toxic gas.

If you played your cards right, your PC's will be caught totally off-guard, will probably have wasted their more powerful spells beforehand. If some of the previous undead had Spell Resistance, your PC's may have spent their no SR spells already.
Teleport anyone? Greater teleport even?

Volkov
2010-03-04, 04:26 PM

That's when you shout "You got DIMENSIONAL ANCHOR'D/LOCK'D!!!" In your best strongbad impersonation.

BRC
2010-03-04, 04:28 PM
While you were posting this, I strategically edited (Before I saw it too!). No Port's into the fortress (I mean, really, what evil spellcaster worth his salt dosn't dimension lock his fortress)

Volkov
2010-03-04, 04:29 PM
While you were posting this, I strategically edited (Before I saw it too!). No Port's into the fortress (I mean, really, what evil spellcaster worth his salt dosn't dimension lock his fortress)

I'm sorry, I believe I have ninja'd you..

BRC
2010-03-04, 04:30 PM
I'm sorry, I believe I have ninja'd you..
You did, while I was posting, which means you are either A) From the Future, or B) IN MY BRAINS! VOLKOV, GET OUT OF MY HEAD!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHh
*Runs around crazy*

Volkov
2010-03-04, 04:32 PM
You did, while I was posting, which means you are either A) From the Future, or B) IN MY BRAINS! VOLKOV, GET OUT OF MY HEAD!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHh
*Runs around crazy*

Just as planned.....makes the finger pyramid of evil contemplation

Volthawk
2010-03-04, 05:20 PM
Living Disjunction/Antimagic Field with Greater Invisibility cast on them

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-04, 05:51 PM
Living Disjunction/Antimagic Field with Greater Invisibility cast on them

Wait what? I sense a contradiction somewhere in there...

Volthawk
2010-03-04, 05:53 PM
Wait what? I sense a contradiction somewhere in there...

Nope. The effects only work on things it attacks or engulfs, not itself. So the AMF is safe from Disjunction.

It basically strips them of any effects, and stops casting. Add damaging spells for lethality. Shout or Greater Shout work well.

Greenish
2010-03-04, 06:28 PM
the finger pyramid of evil contemplationI always wondered if that had a name. Now it seems so obvious.